Wiki Article

Discussion in 'Welcome to the new AfterEllen!' started by WindInTime, Jan 17, 2015.

1. WindInTime

WindInTime Well-Known Member

Okay, since all of us are somehow discontent with the direction of the site's content. First, let's make a list of what we want from the articles.

1. Fun and humor.
    2. Not exclusively shallow pop-culture advertising.
    2.5. Not exclusively culture criticizing either.
    3. Articles inclusive of all of us - age, orientation, family status, gender identity, etc.
    4. Articles that get the community engaged in comments and forums.
    5. Updates on the latest happenings in all aspects of the LGBT community.
    6. How current issues are reflected by LGBT media.
    7. How the media is doing it right and how it's doing it wrong.
    8. More real life articles/stories about relationships, school, work, parenting, health, friendships, family...
    9. A food section
    10. A monthly book article
    11. A section for no-nonsense badass LGBT(etc) women saying "WTF, world?!"
    12. Articles that turn to user experiences to generate content.

All right, before we get started, what am I missing? We can turn all of the key points into a sample article together.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. WindInTime

What if we did an article on MTV and how it affected the site, how they portray gays, and also make it funny with comparisons of the type of content we actually enjoy? Like a hot or not thing. Example of MTV's idea of empowerment versus the real thing, and the disparity alone would end up being hilarious.

3. Kaiden

Kaiden Well-Known Member

Yeah, you are missing the most important thing. Not many carry enough to want changes for this website.

If I were a writer, first of all, I'd criticize (actually I'd occupy the criticizing section) the way this site makes lgbt look like. At a first sight, it looks like a website that pours sweet wine to a crowd of thirsty tongues. I'd love to see a writer having this cool and badass attitude, by ridiculing the thoughts of homophobics, how they talk about us. It might be a little bit rude, but it doesn't mean it is classless. Irony is the finest weapon out there for intelligent people, and homophobics can't fight that without sounding self-righteous. Ignoring is a stupid and a mediocre rule who only tumblr users and mediocre minds find it wise. Ignoring is like getting a slap on the cheek and turning your head to get a slap on the other cheek too. This website is laid back, they talk about rainbows and butterflies and discuss about stars and tv shows only. I'm not saying all that shit must be removed, I'd like to see a section added, to see some fire.

For example. take this common illogically thought that stupid people say "same sex marriage, then what's next? they will ask for bestiality rights" and that writer would mock that opinion, while explaining why has no logic, is stupid and why same-sex marriage has nothing to do with bestiality. --- for some who don't realize. they got to that conclusion, because if same-sex marriage is abnormal, bestiality is abnormal too. but the difference they don't realize, is that bestiality is about man-animal. and animals can't talk so they don't consent. it is so easy to realize; --- if these explanations are written. it would've been a mine of intelligence and those people would start thinking critically
    then, when some lgbt people bump into such imbecile people, they will be capable of standing their ground. and i'm not saying to rise some army here or anything like that. people learn to express themselves better from the sources they like to read everyday
    if you look on youtube comment section, how dull are many people in their arguments against homophobics, it hurts your brains.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Emm and WindInTime like this.
  4. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that bashing the MTV years is the way to go. That's kinda like constantly ripping your ex to your new gf.

I'd rather talk current day stuff.

I have an idea for a wiki article, bit I won't be able to start it until next week.

aussie_gabby and Nancy like this.
  5. WindInTime

Haha, good point.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it.

6. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

I'm going to take until next week for a full list too...

For starters, maybe pick a topic each week and get members to submit their thoughts about the topic, and write an article about it. It makes stories/articles more relatable...

More real life articles/stories about relationships, school, work, parenting, health, friendships, family...

A food section would be awesome.

Maybe a monthly book article?

Just anything other then this mainstream pop dribble please! It's ok to an extent, but there's enough TMZ crap in the world we don't need more...

WindInTime and Nancy like this.
  7. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

Edit: Harpy needs the power to ban people if she's going to administrate a forum too.

Ok to add on to my list, sorry if I mentioned some in my last post too...

Lesbian/bisexual wedding stories

Lesbian/bisexual parenting/pregnancy stories

transgender life stories

Real life coming out stories, for all ages.

Lesbian/bisexual life in the work/school place

More Lesbian/bisexual/lgbt advocates celebrity type people interviews (of substance. not just what movie are you working on/who do you have a crush on dribble...)

Maybe some positive articles from parents/relatives of lesbian/bisexual on how their children/relatives came out and how it impacted life.

Health articles on topics like breast cancer, uterus cancer, endometriosis, pms, sti's, menopause... And other lady problems.

Food articles. Health food tips and recipes? Maybe you could suggest a food meal/item to cook and get people to submit recipes and feature one a month?

Stories from lesbians/bisexuals from around the world telling of their life experience from where they live.

Travel, nice lgbt friendly places to take a vacation.

It would be nice to have a site like this... http://dailyxtra.com/ ...but for women.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    WindInTime and Nancy like this.
  8. WindInTime

That would all be amazing to add here.

Just Me likes this.