Why are all lesbian movies sad?

Discussion in 'Movies with Lesbian/Bi Themes' started by ArieTomlinson, Aug 18, 2015.

1. ArieTomlinson

ArieTomlinson Member

It's a Friday night, and I'm finally done with the work week. So, I slump onto the couch and cuddle up with my girlfriend, some craft beers, and our treasured pastime-Netflix. Here in lies the inevitable juxtaposition.... What movie shall we watch?

Usually, said girlfriend will then say to me :"I picked the movie last time. Why don't you choose this time?" I'm feeling a bit skeptical, but optimistically turn to the 'Gay and Lesbian' section to read the synapses of the available features. After much consideration, I choose one of these gloriously low budget films only to hear her tell me, "Can we not watch that? Those always end sadly."

I pout and continue to peruse the other sections while internally realizing, "DAMMIT SHE'S RIGHT!" I mean, c'mon! How hard is it to create a happy gay story? Brokeback Mountain, High Art, Kissing Jessica Stein?!?!?! Jessica, get your shit together! Helen is a total hottie. Anyways, where was I? We lesbians are not in need of a knight in shining armor sent to pluck us out of our gayness and carry us into a life of traditionalism. Not all of our partners die in freak accidents or drug use. Give it a break already.

Do we have any business folks up in the house (excluding myself)? How about this..... We basically re-write all of the best themes that mainstream films have to offer. You know what I'm talking about.... The Notebook, Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing, that good shit, and re-make them into gay films? Okay okay, I know there's that whole plagiarism issue, but seriously..... can't a sweet les like myself get a little movie loving without grabbing a box of Kleenex?

2. aussie_gabby

aussie_gabby Well-Known Member

You know is settled for a half decent les movie? Even with a sad ending. Because if they're not about going back to a man or dying (and yes I agree, why does everyone have to die), then it's a about teacher falling in love with her student.

3. ArieTomlinson

ArieTomlinson Member

There are also a lot of rich/poor dynamics. Like, oh this fancy rich older woman is falling for this poor beautiful innocent girl. HOWEVER, make no mistake about it, I definitely have 'Carol' on my watch list when it is released. C'mon Cate Blanchett, don't let me down.....

4. wonderlust

wonderlust Well-Known Member

Give Imagine Me and You a shot and Saving Face too, admittedly there should be more but these two at least, are my be gay happy movies.

5. LionsChance

LionsChance Member

Watch "imagine me and you"... And "but I'm a cheerleader". "Fucking amal" is good too... Coming of age, not sad really.

Bluenote likes this.
  6. ArieTomlinson

ArieTomlinson Member

Umm you both are the best! I will let you know if I make it through these recommendations without a tinge of tears.

On another note.....Fucking Amal? I just have these images of George Clooney's wife dancing in my head :)

aussie_gabby likes this.