Wedding Date Question

Discussion in 'Advice (Dear AE...)' started by Irish M, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Irish M

Irish M New Member

Hey After Ellen,
    I have, admittedly, a rather stupid question for all of you! My girlfriend and I have just been invited to a "black tie" wedding, read very fancy, and we would both be rather "femme" lesbians so we were both planning on wearing dresses. More specifically, we both wanted to wear black dresses! I know that men tend to match there dickie bows to there dates dress however I was wondering what the etiquette is for lesbian couples? Would two long black dresses be to similar? Obviously we dont want to appear as the dreaded lesbian nightmare; sisters!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. lorienczhiu

lorienczhiu Well-Known Member

Wear what you want - half the women there will be wearing black dresses, no one will be worried about you. Coordinating is optional, and there's pretty much no established black tie etiquette for femme lesbian couples. Also, just to say: my wife wears ties and coordinates them to my dress (so it's not just "men" who work within the confines of "menswear.")

If people think you look like sisters, screw 'em. That's a pretty standard way that people like to diminish and invisible obvious queer relationships, and it's not your job to wear something you don't want to just to make them more comfortable or make your relationship more obvious.

3. rg3_girl

rg3_girl Member

If you would like to match, maybe you can wear some type of samilar colored jewelry. For example, if she wears turquoise earrings maybe you wear a turquoise ring...It's subtle but still pair you both up :)