We need your help!!!

Discussion in 'AfterEllen Community Forums' started by Chelsea, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Chelsea

Chelsea Member

http://www.fundly.com/please-help-us-get-to-california-to-see-my-great-grandmother-before-she-moves
    In March of 2013, I came out.
    I told almost everyone around me with pride that I was gay. I was, for the most part, well supported and received. Actually, I was absolutely overcome with support and love from my friends and family.
    However, there was one person I just hadn't told....felt like I couldn't tell. I kept making excuses to myself..
    *She is 80-something years old, she doesn't need to know.
    *I'm not in love with anyone, so what difference does it make?
    Then, when I met Amanda (my intelligent, witty, beautiful, charming fiance'), it was:
    *I found the one...but I'm just too busy to tell my great-grandmother about it.
    In fact, I actually wrote her two letters in which I described how I had met the love of my life, and SHE was perfect for me. One was very heartfelt, and the other was matter of fact.
    I didn't send either.
    In truth, I couldn't bring myself to tell her because I was afraid that she wouldn't approve and I would be a disappointment to her.
    My great-grandmother is "on the Facebook," and I haven't hidden or blocked anything about my life from her. I just haven't been able to bring myself to say, "Hey Grandma! I'm in love with a woman!"
    Even after I proposed to Amanda, I couldn't bring myself to make a phone call or send a note to a woman who had supported me for 25 years. Just couldn't. I was so scared of ruining the relationship with my great-grandmother, that I was avoiding talking to her. Which, I get, totally defeats the purpose of trying to preserve that relationship.
    However, only a couple days after proposing, I get a call from California. It's my great grandma.
    "So I hear you got engaged." she says.
    I think to myself, this is my chance...maybe, she won't hear the gender specific pronouns, but at least I said them.
    "Yes I did! She's wonderful!" I reply.
    "Well, I just wanted to say congratulations to you and, Amanda? Isn't that her name?"
    ....what?! she knows. "Honestly Great-grandma, I didn't know you would approve, and I was avoiding telling you."
    "Well, that's why I'm calling, I figured as much. I just wanted to tell you I love you and I support you, no matter who you are. The way I see it, you have two choices in this world. You can be what other people tell you to be, and be miserable, or you can be you, and be loved and happy. I'm glad you are you."
    Tears. Absolute joy. And wondering why I was so silly as to not have told her first when I came out.
    The conversation continued and I learned that she really wants to meet Amanda. I told her I was going to try my best to make that happen.
    I also discovered that due to poor health, she will soon be selling the only house I remember her living in and moving in with my uncle.
    It was then that I realized I wanted the love of my life to meet my great-grandmother as soon as possible, and it needed to be a priority.
    Unfortunately, we are broke. We need help making this happen. That's where you come in.
    My grandmother lives in the desert in California. I live in Austin. We really need help! We will, of course take whatever help we can get. Depending on how much you are able to donate, we will either fly or drive there. We plan on leaving August 15, 2014 and returning August 25, 2014.
    I'm asking for whatever you can give to support unconditional love.
    I'm asking for whatever you can give to support Amanda meeting my Great-grandmother before she isn't able to take care of herself.
    I'm asking for your love and prayers, if you have nothing to give.
    And I am completely grateful for everything, even just taking the time to read our story.
    Thank you.