Types and Labels

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Emma, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Emma

Emma Well-Known Member

Hi
    I recently got asked what type of lesbian I like and what I am, and I have no clue.
    I've heard the terms like: Femme, Butch, Baby butch, Lipstick, Chapstick, Soft butch... But all I know is that femme is feminine and butch is masculine.

I would appreciate if you could enlighten me with some types/labels and their meaning...
    Thank you in advance.

2. Ladyninja13

Ladyninja13 Active Member

I don't know about anyone else, but this is my biggest pet peeve about the gay community. BIGGEST. For some reason, people want to identify themselves with a label and a type. In my opinion and experience, it is really annoying. Just be you.

3. deus

deus Member

I'm curious about Chapstick, too. hahah.

4. Emma

Emma Well-Known Member

@Ladyninja13 I do agree with you, I barely like to label my sexuality. But it is still frustrating to not understand what some people say about themselves, especially when they don't elaborate. When they say I'm Lipstick and if you don't know what that means don't talk to me cause you're a straight person only curious about what it's like to be with a woman. Not that I'd want to talk to someone so narrow minded anyway, but it's still frustrating.

5. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

6. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

Ha I'd wish someone had told my first gf and all of her gay friends that they shouldn't label others like that. She was Singaporean but they also have additional words like andro etc...

7. Marie-Claire

Marie-Claire Member

I feel as though these labels shouldn't even be used. The are extremely constrictive. :(

8. Jenn

Jenn Member

I'm very intrigued about the definition of a 'chapstick' lesbian.

I feel like even though people fight against stereotypes and labels, we keep placing people in them so we have somewhat of an easier way to explain things......

which leads me to the conclusion that people in general are getting even more lazy