Trouble adjusting to new job, help

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by staringatthesun, Sep 7, 2014.

1. staringatthesun

staringatthesun Well-Known Member

I recently started a new job in the same field as my last job except now I am a middle supervisor instead of employee. At first when I got the job I was all excited and glad to be taking on a new role and "moving up". Part of my reason for leaving my last job was that alot of people I liked left and I was not being promoted from within the company.

Anyway now that things have sank in that I really am not going back to my last place of employment, a heavy sadness is setting in. I am feeling like crying a few times a week at night. I don't understand why I am so sad. I was at my last job for several solid years and some temp periods inbetween.

The new company is more structured and follows guidelines to a T. My new boss seems less laid back than my last boss which makes me nervous even though she does seem nice...I feel very guarded and not yet comfortable around her.
    My old company was more laid back and we were more like a family. My last boss was great, she was very laid back and understanding, even when people made mistakes she just told people how things could get corrected but rarely got angry.

I feel like I should keep looking for new jobs even though I just started this one, I don't know if I haven't given the place enough time or if I just know immediately that I am not a great fit for this company.

2. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

I am sorry you are having trouble adjusting to your new situation. I hope you can take this as an opportunity instead and not be hard on yourself if you ever make a mistake on the job.

As for making this an opportunity, you can learn very good habits from people who do things by the book. They are into details that a less successful group may not be. Such attention to rules made them savvy of the importance of giving people opportunities and promoting them. They probably have picked you after much thought so I think that is a compliment.

Finding friends at work is nice, but pay attention and be extra helpful and those friendships will develop. If you go the extra mile, mistakes are a lot more forgivable. Everyone will make mistakes, if you make one then the opportunity is there to revisit why and how to avoid it. People have advanced spectacularly from mistakes by correcting some basic procedures.

This is also an opportunity for you to find your true calling and figure out if you like something a lot and can find a way to make money off of what you really like doing.

Big hugs, and deep breaths, you are young and will certainly make your mark. You have guts to leave one job for another, and you cry because you do care to do well. You will do well, I guarantee it. :)

3. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

double post. >.<

4. staringatthesun

staringatthesun Well-Known Member

Thank you for your kind post. I hope you're right that I can learn as much as I possibly can here. I guess I'm really just nervous because everything is so new and very different than my last work environment. I've always been kinda like this with "changes" that I consider big deals ...but for about three or four years now..I've gotten around having any...mostly on purpose by avoiding them haha.

I guess you could say I am just not used to having these changes...have found me. I do think you are right that going the extra mile and trying to help more can make any future mistakes more forgivable. It's kind of why I go to the office early every day haha..a sort of insurance policy if you will.

5. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Late to the party here....

But, you can only grow once you get out of your comfort zone. To get ahead, you must do things that make you afraid. Complacency gets you nowhere...

So, yeah, you have growing pains. Believe me..I've been there..MANY times in many jobs...remember: nothing worth having is easy. Stick it out. Give it a chance. Allow yourself to rise to the occasion. Be less concerned about personal relationships right now, but about this career opportunity. If it is right for you, everything will fall into place.