Too soon to call

Discussion in 'Advice on Meeting Women' started by KimCG, Feb 25, 2018.

1. KimCG

KimCG New Member

So I just turned 30 and have been dating women for about a year, nothing serious though (dated guys for most of my twenties before figuring out why it wasn't working!) I've always hated speaking on the phone as a general rule, even back in high school when boys would call I found it super awkward.

I've been on one date with this girl I really like, she's a bit younger than me but we got on really well and have been texting once or twice a day everyday for the past 2 weeks (as I've been on holiday so we haven't met up again yet). We have a second date scheduled in a few days and this evening she called me out of the blue, but I missed the call. Isn't it too soon to be doing the whole 'chatting on the phone, how was your day' thing after one date? Or is this just a weird hang-up that I have that I need to get over. About a week ago she mentioned over text giving me a call and when I asked friends if that was weird/too soon they kinda said 'if you really like someone then nothing is too weird or too soon'. So now I'm confused! I just feel like in this age of online dating especially everyone just messages rather than calling, so I guess I view calling as a more intimate thing you would do with someone you have been seeing for a while.

Or am I just reading too much into this and need to get over this weird hang-up (phone humour, ha) I have about calling someone?

2. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

Other than the "hang-up", were you excited to hear from her? Did it make you happy to find her name on your phone? I am pretty much with your friends on not having some rule. But it does sound like you don't like talking on the phone as much. Did you text your date back and say, hello, I missed your call, what's up? Explain that it is easier for you to text.

If I liked the girl I would not care how awkward, I would want to hear from her. I still fumble with my phone and stammer from time to time when my gf calls.

Spygirl likes this.
  3. KimCG

KimCG New Member

Thank you - I think your point about whether or not I was excited to see her name pop up on the screen was key. I know what that feeling is like and that wasn't it! I think you're right if I really just wanted to speak to her I would risk an awkward conversation just to do so. So that helped, thanks!

4. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Call me old fashioned (if not old)...but when I'm into someone, I want to TALK to that person in addition to texting. I know technology has somehow supplanted human interactions (which is really a shame b/c I'm not that old) but there's something really cool about spending endless hours lost in conversation. I can recall spending hours into the night just talking with (now my wife) about everything and nothing....both of us fighting sleep.

The point being...I WANTED to talk to her.

Texting is great for keeping distance when you're not that interested.

greylin and Nancy like this.