Thoughts on the "gay gene"

Discussion in 'AE & Site-Related Specific' started by Aimee89, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Aimee89

Aimee89 New Member

hi first time posting here so pls be kind.
    So I was wanting some opinions on the whole issue of the gay gene. I myself am lesbian, and have recently started to get in contact with my family after them being absent most my life for other reasons unrelated, and have discovered that on my mothers side I have a substantial amount of queer identified family members. My great Aunty is a lesbian, my cousin is a lesbian, another cousin is a gay male and his birth sister, my other cousin is a female to male transgender male. Yet on my fathers side of the family there are no members who identify as queer. I just found this to be and interesting topic and would love to hear other people's thoughts on it. Thanks and much love

2. Aimee89

Aimee89 New Member

Also sorry I think I posted in the wrong area. I was trying to see where to post and found a link so sorry if unrelated topic.

3. Susanah

Susanah Member

I believe I read somewhere that people identifying as homosexual are likely to have been more exposed to certain hormones in the mother's belly. I think progesterone might have been one? Also I do not think a 'gay gene' has been discovered yet.

4. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Does that apply to transgender (straight on the outside, gay (and female) on the inside) people?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  5. Susanah

Susanah Member

I don't know. I haven't really read much on the topic lately.

6. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Well, if there's anyone else in my family who has those traits like I have, I have yet to meet them or discover it. Don't think there is any LGBTQ blood in my family besides my own, but then again I never thought much about it before. Worth possibly looking into.

7. Susanah

Susanah Member

There aren't really that many queer people in my family either (none other than me that I know of).

8. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess Aimee is kind of unique in this regard. You guys already comprise a very small community (of which I just hope I can be considered an honorary part)—although new members are discovering and joining it each day, but unfortunately it remains small and underrepresented to the outside social world.

9. wonderlust

wonderlust Well-Known Member

I'd say I have a lesbian lineage going on my mother's side. An aunt, a few cousins, my sister, err a handful who I guess are bi and going as far back as my grandaunt who was with her partner for 62 years. We're a very matriarchal, girl power kind of clan so idk, I think the gay gene might actually be a lot more predominant in our DNA.

10. rainydaze

rainydaze Well-Known Member

Aimee89 - hello and welcome to AE. I think you will find the members here to be kind :)
    Regarding your question, I am no geneticist so I can't really answer whether or not there is or are we close to discovering that there may be a "gay gene." My first reaction is "maybe" and then, my second reaction is "but it doesn't really matter.
    On my wife's side of the family, there was a gay child in nearly everyone's home. It was not something they openly discussed among the elders, but aparently on the Italian side of the family, that just had always been for many generations. Everyone accepted it, but didn't talk about it.
    In my family, I did not even really understand the concept until I met an openly gay person when I was in college (age 18). I now know, there are some lesbians in my family scattered here and there on either side, but there does not seem to be some strong "gene" that is determining our orientation.
    I also have met people who are quite certain that they were gay from as far back into childhood as they can remember. while for others, their discovery of their orientation has seemed more of a journey and has some fluidity to it. I do believe we are as diversified in our human experiences of ourselves as any other orientation.
    That is why, my second/final response is "it doesn't really matter." It really is not any more or less valid if someone is "born this way" or has come to accept that he/she may be "this way." Love is love, no matter how you come to the recognition and acceptance of it. And attraction, well, that varies from person to person regardless of orientation...("Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" right?)

In many ways I think human sexuality and experience is far too complex to isolate it to one or two genetic combos. In my greatest fears, that could also make it too easy to someday rid the world of us if it comes down to being able to select the genes of one's offspring. How awful for the world that would be! :eek:

The age-old argument: is it nature(genes) or is it nurture(experience)...or is it yes, and yes, and sometimes both???

Susanah likes this.
  11. TheScandinavian

TheScandinavian Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a gay gene or any gene; it's love we're talking about or even if limited to sex only. Attraction is also a huge thing to consider.
    Some of us like to think it's in their genes as a sort of an explanation when coming out. For some it could be a trumatic experience such as rape or the absense of parent or more dominant parent... However, if you ask me, it should be a really personal experience as we just are who we are.
    So, no- I don't think it's a gene or anything like it. As for your family-statistically it's impossible to be the only lgbt in the family so I'm not surpised to see how many lgbt family members you've got. It;s just amusing to know how open they are about it.

12. hum_dinger

hum_dinger Well-Known Member

Personally in my family my older brother is gay, my cousin I suspect is gay or at least bi, my great uncle is gay and my Dad's cousin was gay so there are a few of us on both sides. It's an interesting idea and I think it's possible. I believe I was born gay and that it's in my genetic makeup so it's not crazy to think that it runs in a family's gene pool.