This is me

Discussion in 'AfterEllen Community Forums' started by Kirby32, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Kirby32

Kirby32 New Member

I'm gay.

Two words, two syllables. One life changing statement.

I've only said those the o words out loud and to another person once.

I sat on the edge of my seat, my knees bouncing nervously as tears formed in my eyes and my heart broke. I looked across the room at this person who loved me with their entire soul and being and I broke their world into tiny pieces.

I have only said those words once, and I said them to my boyfriend of 12 years.

It destroyed him. I destroyed him. The way I was destroyed him.

For two days I watched him break apart and beg for the old me back. For two days I watched him fold into himself again and again and slowly disappear....but whilst I was burning with guilt and self loathing, I also felt lighter and for the first time in a long time.....I felt hope.

But I extinguished that hope a week later when I succumbed to his pain and I stepped back into the closet.
    I couldn't bare to hurt him anymore and I had done that plenty.

I had met a girl and we had quickly become friends, we connected in so many ways and one day she kissed me.
    In that moment, the earth quieted and slowed, giving me a chance to fall into step with everyone else. For the first time in my forever, everything made sense.
    I did the stupid thing and I had an affair. My body yearned for hers and I felt more alive than I ever had....because I was with another woman and not a man.

But it had to end and I had to come clean, I wish I could say I was a better person but I'm not.
    I still think if her, still think of those times and I still yearn to date and fall in live with another woman....but I will beer do that, my lif is dedicated to making my (now) husband as happy as he can be, he deserves the world but all I can give is myself.

I dunno if this makes sense to anyone. But I needed it to be seen, to be heard.

I'm gay.

But I cannot be.

2. wflyin

wflyin Member

The closet is a painful and terrifying place to be. I hope you one day find the strength to throw open those doors and be happy and free, once again. Until then, I wish you peace and love.