The girl from the gym....

Discussion in 'Does She Like Me?' started by littlenikki15, Nov 5, 2015.

1. littlenikki15

littlenikki15 Well-Known Member

So I kind of mentioned this in my last post but I think it needs its own because (like others here) I want to make sure I have an outside, unbiased opinion lol DOES SHE LIKE ME?!

I started doing physio at the gym I used to work at a few years ago. I know everyone that works there except two new girls. One being the new trainer. She caught my attention right away - tall, fit, young, long hair and always in a hoody or t-shirt lol nothing flashy or revealing. I love it. I'm not girly myself, usually in jeans and a t-shirt. I always had my eye on her but she wouldn't even look at me, then one day, out of the blue, she asked me if a certain vehicle in the parking lot was mine because of the front plate I had ( a hockey team ). She caught me off guard, it was in the waiting area and we were constantly getting interrupted and my PT was trying to book my next appointments so it was awkward. It ended with me asking her a question and her answering, like I said, awkwardly and my PT/her co-worker laughing at her. sigh. It killed me to just walk out of there that day. A week or so went by of her not so much as even looking at me. It was torture and I never knew what to say. One day, I was standing there talking to my PT again and "gym girl" (as I've been referring to her as) quickly walked by and says "I like your shirt". I had my back to her and was in the middle of talking so I just said "oh, thanks" and again, *sigh* my PT laughed at her....
    I am not even exaggerating when I say a month passed before we talked again. I mentioned all this to my friend and she was giving me shit saying YOU NEED TO SAY SOMETHING. Start a conversation, ask her a question. It was hard to think of something when she's a personal trainer and I am there to do physio and would only see her in passing. So, one day I was there early and sitting in the waiting area. She came walking through, looking away from me as always and before I even realized it I had played dumb and asked her what time the hockey game was that night (disclosure: I totally knew what time). I caught her so off guard that she got a little flustered, smiled and said she wasn't sure and turned around to get her phone. She came back out and as she was checking times we talked quite a bit. I was so proud of myself haha she's a trainer with the team, I've gone to all of the home games with friends and sit up behind the bench. Every single game, at some point, I have caught her looking back at me. Am I crazy to think, she wouldn't be taking the time to look back at me during these games if she wasn't at least interested or something? It's like she's checking to see if I am there (keep in mind this is hockey, it's fast paced, she opens and closes the door to the bench, she has to be paying attention all the time). One time our eye contact lingered so long that I actually looked away lol it was too much! During all of this I had started doing a different program where I am actually in the gym every day Mon - Fri.
    My first day there (the day after these back to back hockey games on the weekend) she was in the gym talking to some guy and as I was walking down the complete other side of the gym she yelled a question to me lol totally not her usual quiet, ignoring me self. I guess all that eye contact on the weekend changed things hahaha so we talked for quite a while and then I went to do my own thing. As I was finishing my warm up about half an hour later I could see her talking to the guy I was supposed to be with and then she came over and was like okay, I'm going to be with you today.... lol smooth girl, smooth. So now we chat a bit every day, sometimes A LOT in a day because I am there for 2 hours every afternoon. She asked me if I could give her some info about something (she knows some of my friends) and I told her I'd have to check when I got home and there's lots to it, etc. so I said I could text it to her or something (I can be smooth too girl) so she gave me her number. We chatted it up a bit that night but I stayed on topic since it was the first time haha this led to many convos for 2 days and then her saying that she still couldn't get something to work so when I came to the gym the next day maybe I could come to her computer and show her (smooth x 2) so I did and I was a little nervous so I just did what I had to do and my person was waiting for me so I got back out to the gym. Two days straight she didn't even come out of her office area and into the gym at all so that was disappointing. Since she is so good at walking by and trying to look away, I have resorted to basically staring at her so that if she does look my way then I will just give a smile. On Monday, she was walking by me and glanced over, looking back down at the floor she said "how was your Halloween"? (that's her being shy right? haha that's the first time either of us have asked each other something that isn't sports related) so I quickly told her that I didn't do much, went to a sports thing that night because I got the impression that maybe she wanted to tell me about hers instead. She was at the same thing as me Saturday night, I didn't see her but she must have seen me why she asked. Then she mentioned that she went to church Sunday morning and I was kinda like "oh boy" because it has crossed my mind that she seems pretty low key, "goody two shoes" type and I basically am too but just looking at me you would never guess because I am covered in tattoos and the way I dress and talk (swearing, my bad) and all that is different from my very kind, caring, respectful personality (don't judge a book by its cover people lol).
    Tuesday (yesterday) I had my stick and was shooting a puck around in there because I hadn't tried for months. She stood back talking to someone else but watching me the whole time. After I was done that I went straight onto the treadmill, she stayed standing right there maybe 8 feet away, talking to this guy and she started telling him about this show that she's been obsessed with and he said he'd never heard of it and she's all "the girl is covered in tattoos"........ and describes the show to him hahaha this was an older guy probably in his 50s is my guess and all I could think was, "is she really just trying to get my attention talking about this"? Talking about this girl who has tattoos and thinking it's so awesome.... This morning (Wednesday) I was having some issues so I randomly showed up to the gym/clinic at 8am and she came walking out while talking to someone and paused and stared at me for a few seconds and continued on. A couple mins later she came walking out by herself, going past me and not looking at me yet but I was staring at her and she goes to open the door to the gym and says "I'm not used to seeing you yet, you're throwing my whole day off" ..... whaaaaaaatt? lol so I quickly told her what was wrong and she's like, "oh, from shooting yesterday?" I thought, I KNEW YOU WERE WATCHING ME! We talked a little bit more and that was it.
    Am I crazy to think she may be into me? She is actually a few years younger which I never ever thought would be something I'd go along with haha my whole life I have always been friends with people older than me and get along with them much better. It's not very noticeable when we are just in a setting like that though. The shitty thing with all of this is:
    1) She is at work. I am a client there. No, not her client but still. However, she knows I used to work there and sees that I am friends with most of the staff
    2) I know there are never rules to these types of things but being that I am older and out, is it almost "up to me" or my responsibility to say something/make the first move?
    3) I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF SHE IS GAY....... same old story here hey lol
    I am REALLY scared to say something because it could just be so awkward or disastrous to be in this program every day for the next 2 months and have to be seeing her if she were to say no or if she isn't (in some miraculous way) into girls. With that being said, I am only there for 6 more weeks, unless something goes wrong and I am not progressing I guess, and although that seems like a long time it is always in the back of my mind that that's all the time I have to make something possibly work or figure her out and it's scary! I am really really into her and have been since I first saw her and the thought of not seeing her every day is already starting to bug me. It has taken us almost 6 MONTHS to get to where we are. Granted I never actually had anything to do with her at the gym for 5 of those months, we would just see each other in passing, but still....
    I'm sorry this is so long but if you took the time to read it all, at least say something please! Any advice! or let me know if you want me to keep you updated on this whole thing. I don't have any gay friends that I am super close with that I can talk to about this.

2. bananapancakes

bananapancakes New Member

I just want to say that I work in physical therapy and personal training, and I watch people A LOT. Like constantly, even if they're not my client/patient, just because it's habit to check form. And for you, since you're there everyday, I would notice you even more, and would be watching your progress.
    HOWEVER, I would also straight up talk to you and say Hey girl, looks like you're doing better, how's everything going, etc etc. So the fact that she is making these kind of backhand comments, makes me think she's nervous! And you're at her workplace which is where she should be comfortable.
    I think you need to talk to her about things other than work/sports and feel her out some more. Talk to her some more, make her more comfortable talking to you.

A.J. and Spygirl like this.
  3. littlenikki15

Thank you for replying!
    I totally understand what you're saying and know it must be in your nature to watch people, in my instance from the other day I should have been more specific. When I said, she was standing back talking to someone but I was sure she was watching me - she was with her own client. She should have just been watching and paying attention to him haha today she was busy with a few different people. We chatted for only a minute even though she was in the gym for most of the 2 hours I was there (again, she walked by me, not making eye contact and said something to me in passing but as soon as I answered then she stopped and talked). We stole glances at each other the rest of the time, some awkwardly through the mirrors from across the gym like usual lol When I was leaving she did the same thing, saw I was walking out but wouldn't look at me, was with her client but when I was like 10 feet from the door she yelled out something to me. So I turned around and answered her. So as much as I get in my own head and think she isn't interested, it definitely seems like she IS nervous around me.
    I have been wanting to talk to her about different things/topics but I honestly don't know what to say. All of our conversations have revolved around hockey or my two friends (lesbian couple) that she knows who play pro hockey lol it takes up a huge part of both of our lives so that's all we got. I have been trying to think of a way to talk about my friends and some other couples from hockey to see how she reacts on the topic of lesbian couples. Otherwise, I don't know what to do.

4. bananapancakes

bananapancakes New Member

Haha you know you do make her seem a little awkward? How about engaging her first. It seems like you're waiting for her to talk to you, but try saying good morning/afternoon/whatever to her first, that way you guys can have a face to face conversation instead of after you guys have passed by (or on your way out). Ask her how her day is going, what she did last night, what she's doing this weekend. Chit chat. That way you can gage your interaction.
    The lesbian couple thing could go either way I guess, I think your best bet is really to see if she's into you though. Could you start texting her? Even if it is about hockey, lol. Or do you think it would be weird?

5. littlenikki15

I am guessing she is maybe really in her head a lot and nervous and so she kind of gets herself by me then says something, once I answer she will stop and talk. She should know by now that I like to talk, am super chill and always stop what I'm doing once we are talking. Nothing awkward about it. She is only 23, I am very very sure that she is gay but that doesn't necessarily mean that she knows she is or maybe she is just figuring this all out. I could be the first girl that has been interested in her. Who knows what the deal is. I try to say hi/how's it going/I love you etc. (lol) when I first see her but she is almost always talking to someone else and won't make eye contact, as I've said, and I'm not one to ever interrupt people.
    I am a fairly nervous person myself but I have actually been the one to start the majority of our conversations because I want to talk to her. The texting thing is a different story... I got her number 2 weeks ago, I messaged her the info she wanted that night, it took her a couple hours to respond. When she did, I tried to chat her up a bit but she was just giving short answers so I didn't respond after a "ya for sure" answer. Five days later I sent her a text and she was more into it, responding, "loling", told me to text her if I have any problems. This is when she sent me the "tomorrow when you're at the clinic we can try it together bc I still can't figure it out" message. So the next day I was in her office area getting a live stream set up on her computer. That same day we talked a lot bc she came out to give me updates. Then, when I was waiting for 10 mins or so to see my PT, she told me to come watch the end of the game so I stood in the doorway watching. It was great. The next night I texted her saying my friends and I had an extra ticket to one of the games if she wanted to come or knew someone who could use it, she never answered. The next two days were the ones I mentioned in my first post that she never came into the gym area at all and so obviously, we never talked. I was thinking oh shit did I scare her off with just that innocent message? But then Monday rolled around and that's when she asked me about my weekend/Halloween. I CAN'T FIGURE HER OUT. I really do think I am scaring her a bit but she is possibly interested at the same time.

6. Frazier

Frazier Well-Known Member

Ask her out for a drink.Period.If she agrees,take it from there!

7. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

It was so painful to get through that wall of text. Please use paragraph breaks in the future.

There is nothing that you have described that is a definite - oh wow, she likes you. If you are around a lot, she is going to notice you. If she works there, she will have a sense of a lot of the clients and their routine.

The other things like the eye contact and awkwardness are too subjective to say. Does she like you? Is she shy? Does she want to be your friend, but nothing more? Does your nervousness make her feel self conscious? Lots of possibilities.

The only thing that I can say is - chat her up. If chatting her up progresses, ask her out to something low key. "My friends and I are going to the beach / hey, are you going to the women's soccer friendly / etc..." If she says yes, it can be a segway to more one on one, outside of work interactions.

kimonochi likes this.
  8. littlenikki15

Thanks for your response! In my last post I said I am a nervous person but in this instance, with her, I am not actually nervous. I was that one day when I was on her computer but that was just 10 minutes. I will have to find other opportunities to try invite her out somewhere or something. She seems very very busy though, so we'll see how that goes.

9. littlenikki15

Hey guys, a bit of an update from Friday.
    She came into the gym not too long after I started my work out. She sat on a machine at one end where just 1 guy and myself were doing our stretching/warm up, she said how all of her afternoon appts. cancelled and she had shit all to do. I said something quickly before the guy that was there could answer haha she talked to him a little bit but basically just her and I talked about all kinds of things for about half an hour. I just stood there talking to her not doing anything. We finally talked about other shit, the new building and she asked me about the old place, we talked about our plans for the weekend, she mentioned her brother a few times, we talked about the girls that play hockey and I showed her a pic of a bunch of them in Sweden. I mentioned how one was dedicated enough to fly out there for all the games, she doesn't play but she went anyways and is hanging out with my friends. She was looking at me but then she said "unless she's dating one of the girls" and kind of looked away. So she actually brought that topic up before I could haha

I've been thinking all along that I would invite her to my team's one game this coming Sunday because of the location and the other team we play. I'm not playing right now so I am just always there watching. However, she most likely won't be able to make it because the team she works for is out of town on the weekend and will only be making it back around that time. I'll still mention it to her though and hope for the best. We live in a small city and during the winters there is absolutely nothing to do here besides watch hockey, other sports or just go hang out at a bar or something.

10. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Hockey is totally your "in" with this girl -- at the very least so that it sounds like meeting up is genuinely not some creepy random date invite -- but it would make sense that both of you are into hockey, run in the same circles, have common interests...and her comment about the dating a girl on the team might've been an attempt to find out where you stand.

I think you're playing this the exact right way.

littlenikki15 and Bluenote like this.
  11. Bluenote

May I suggest netflix, reading, painting, cooking, adopting 13 cats, or getting a hot girlfriend and passing the long cold winter with her?

12. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Why stop at only 13 cats? :)

13. seven

seven Member

Hmmmm it sounds like she is definitely curious about you (but also nervous). I think you should invite her to your team game and if she says yes - winner. If she doesn't reply or comes up with an excuse I think you should act a little colder next time you see her, like don't go out of your way to talk to her and if she speaks to you seem like you don't have time/your busy. See how she acts! If she likes you, she'll chase you.

littlenikki15 likes this.
  14. littlenikki15

I mean with friends or someone else haha I do the Netflix, reading, adopting 3 + 2 cats on my own :) but hey, getting a hot gf to do all that with sounds just lovely! hahaha

Bluenote likes this.
  15. littlenikki15

Thank you! I am really not so sure what else I can do at this point. I mean yes, take the chance and flat out say something/ask her out but like I have said, I am in this program for AT LEAST 7 more weeks and it's a few hours every day Mon - Fri so that could be very awkward if she turns me down or something. However, the closer I get to the end of this program without something actually happening or us even hanging out once makes me more anxious. It will honestly be upsetting not seeing her every day........

16. littlenikki15

I don't know how I feel about "playing hard to get". I think it just makes things worse and like I said, she will just be getting back to town around the same time that my game starts so if she did say no, I wouldn't be surprised. It would suck but it's a Sunday night and she'll be gone the whole weekend.

17. seven

seven Member

It's up to you - its hard to read the situation without actually seeing it. I don't know what she's thinking. I'm just telling you what would work for me if I was her and I was curious/interested. If someone likes you they will make the effort.

littlenikki15 likes this.
  18. littlenikki15

I knoooowwww *sigh* I have to remind myself of this. I do appreciate the advice/comments. Thank you!

seven likes this.
  19. littlenikki15

So nothing exciting has happened this week, that's why I haven't said too much. We've just had some small talk, she seems to really just light up when she's talking to me though. She has a constant smile, her eyes sparkle and me...well, she just walks in the room and I can't wipe the smile off my face!

We have never been too overly close to one another (physically) so I haven't really noticed how big of a height difference there is until a couple days ago. I mean, she is noticeably a lot taller than me but she stood right in front of the treadmill while I was on it, talking to me and we were eye level lol then I had to walk behind her quite closely and when I looked up my face was at her shoulders. The first thing I thought of was Ellen Page and her gf hahaha

*PLEASE DON'T JUDGE ME FOR BEING A CREEP* lol
    I know her birthday is on Monday but I "shouldn't" know that, I'd like to do something nice without being too obvious. Any ideas? I've been known to take treats to the crew there since I used to work with them. Should I just do something like that?

20. Bluenote

You are going to kill yourself agonizing about this kind of stuff. Offer to take her out for a birthday drink or a birthday coffee. I come from the school of being straightforward and just asking a girl out. If she shoots you down, you know where you stand. If she takes you up on it, then you go from there.

seven and greylin like this.