Tattoo Advice

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by smiles4miles, May 24, 2014.

1. smiles4miles

smiles4miles Active Member

I have some questions about getting tattoos. Since I don't know anyone who has them, I thought I would reach out to the AfterEllen community for answers rather than searching randomly online. Basically, I'm considering getting a tattoo (something small and simple). I wanted to know where the best places on my body would be to get them. Also, does it hurt a lot? For people who have experience with getting tattoos, what did you do to prepare for it? And did you have any regrets? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

You really have to be in the mood for a tattoo... I've gone in and sat under the needle for 10 hrs getting my ribs done, and what hurt the most was holding my arm above my head that long... But then I've gone in for touch ups not wanting a tattoo and it'll hurt like hell. So how much it hurts depends on your pain tolerance and mind set... I would say it's like a cat scratch for the most part. My foot tattoo hurt the most for sure, the back is uncomfortable because it vibrates up your spine, the swell in the back of your neck is un-noticable, ankles hurt, legs are ok on the fleshy part.... yeah I'm a bit covered in tattoos, they're addictive!

If you want color consider your skin tone as well, I've had to go for touch ups/cover ups of certain colors because they don't sagerate well...

3. BrittaineW

BrittaineW Member

She's right, it's all about mind set. Go in relaxed, but prepared. It's like a bee sting or cat scratch for the most part. I think the shading/color is the worst because they go over the same spot multiple times. The least painful one I got was on my wrist, but it's also small and didn't require any color/shading. Personally I think the worst one was on my collar bone but I've been told by multiple people the ribs and top of the foot are worst. I have several tattoos and more to come. Contrary to what I've been told, the one on my inner arm didn't hurt that bad. It has a lot to do with the tattoo artist also, some have a heavy hand so they push down harder, some have a lighter hand. I prefer the heavy hand because it's less likely to need a touch up in the near future.
    Hope this helps!

4. Cricket

Cricket Well-Known Member

I think tattoos are stupid. I am in the major minority in today's society, but seriously, I can't imagine having anything permanently etched into my body and it staying relevant forever.

5. TADinUS

TADinUS Well-Known Member

My wife has the name of an ex-GF whom she proposed to marry on her. I don't want my name on her body. Each their own. There are good and bad tattoos.