Should I Move Out?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by thecrazymango, Nov 17, 2013.

1. thecrazymango

thecrazymango Member

Hi Everyone!

It's been awhile since I've posted on this but I guess I don't know where to turn to and hopefully you can give me some advice. My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 2 years and we have an 11 year age gap. I am 26 and she is 37. I live at home with my parents. I am a part-time student, completing courses so I can apply to grad school, I have a part-time job and no undergraduate dept. I have come to realize that my mom basically runs my life. I tell myself all the time that she doesnt have complete control over me because I dont have a curfew and can go out whenever I want, etc. but her one rule is that I cant stay the night at my girlfriends place. She isnt too keen about me being gay. Here's the thing... my girlfriend hates it. She's been patient with me for the past 2 years and it's taking its toll. I spend the night maybe once or twice a month at best and it's ruining our relationship. It's not even about the sex but the company you're suppose to share when you're with someone. Th comfort. She hates that I dont have complete control over my life and I guess I never really saw it until now. So my question is, should I move out? Let me give you a Suze Orman breakdown:

From my part-time job, I make about $800-$1000 a month depending on the number of hours my work schedules me.
    My car is paid for and I have no school dept.
    I can most likely share a room or have my own room for $350-$450 a month.

What do you all think? I know I would be living paycheck to paycheck until I get into grad school and start applying for loans but do you think it would be worth it? To better my relationship with my mom/parents as well as better my relationship with my gf. I'd be a poor college student but happy? Has anyone felt or gone through something similar? I am 26 years old... I should be an independent adult and yet here I am...

2. Frost

Frost Active Member

Everything is a GAMBLE....the question is are you willing to Gamble? up to what extent?
    discuss it with your GF and from there you will have a clear picture of what you will be facing once you move out....
    Think about the Pros and Cons of it then weigh your decision.....

3. Dalo

Dalo Well-Known Member

MOVE OUT. Things will figure themselves out and you'll naturally re-budget your finances.

4. Maison Clicquot

Maison Clicquot Well-Known Member

At that age and with that salary you are still living with your mother.. then no wonder why she's controlling you. Your mother was supposed to make you go and live your life for your own good, that's natural actually, something that it doesn't have to be mentioned. You know what the bird does with her cute little birds ? she pushes them out of the nest and they have no choice but to learn how to fly. You are a grown up woman, you already have wings so learn how to use them. No matter what's the problem for her with your sexual orientation, she knows that you have to move out someday. Beginning is not easy for everybody and besides, you have someone who cares about you, unlike others who have none of that.