Shot in the dark

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by gref2528, Apr 2, 2014.

1. gref2528

gref2528 Member

This is just a shot in the dark, not sure if this is the correct section. I'm also not sure if anyone here today was regularly reading afterellen three years ago. Anyway, a few years back there was a very popular thread by a user named "Ray." I believe it was called Breaking Riley's Gaydar. Hard. I've tried to find it on the site, but from what I can tell it vanished after the redesign.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please message me. I connected with the story and would like to reread it. The author was also planning on starting a blog, though I'm not sure if anything came of that. Thanks for reading.

2. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

YES! I remember the story and Ray well. Ray stopped posting because -- and this is my own theory -- that things got really bad with her g/f's parents and a lot of personal drama happened...to what extent or specifics, I don't know. I know a few of us tried to PM her to no avail.

Breaking Riley's Gaydar...Hard...was a "fiction" version of her own story...but prior to that she had a DSLM thread. I'm pretty sure Breaking Riley's Gaydar was because so many people loved the way Ray wrote....

I know I enjoyed her posts.

3. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Such a great thread. Sadly when AE got its face lift all the old threads got lost.

4. RVT

RVT Well-Known Member

5. gref2528

gref2528 Member

Spygirl, that's too bad if that's what happened. I really enjoyed reading her story. You're right, the original thread was, I believe, "The night my gaydar broke. Hard." I was looking for them both. I'll always be curious about how both stories ended. Hope Ray is doing well now. Thanks for your response :)

RVT, thanks. Archive.org was also all i was able to find. There wasn't much on there unfortunately. I wish I had known all the old threads would be lost with the redesign. Maybe they did warn people, I don't know, I stopped reading afterellen regularly. Thanks for the reply.

6. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

Guys, doesn't Invincible have all these stories saved? If it's not on the archive, she will prob send it to you.

7. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

It was one of the more popular threads so I didn't save it. I thought someone else would. I did save a bunch of other, less popular, threads I liked though.

8. invincible

I've got the DSLM thread one now. A friend managed to save it. Does anyone have the one in fiction?

9. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Invincible -- "Breaking Riley's Gaydar Hard" was the 'fictionalized' version of Ray's own story....the DSLM thread was the one with T. :)

Breaking Riley's Gaydar hard...was the one that abruptly ended...

10. invincible

Yes, I know that. I have the one on the DSLM forum (The night my gaydar broke. Hard.). I don't have the one in the Fiction forum. The one that ended abruptly. I posted so that if someone who does have it they'd know I'm interested in obtaining it too. Crossing fingers. =)

11. JoSC

JoSC Member

It seems I'm not the only one who misses Ray and her stories. It sure would be nice to know that she came out the other side of whatever happened ok.

12. keepinitreal

keepinitreal Active Member

Ugh this is making me mad about the lost site :(

13. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

You'll notice we've had a re-vamp. Harpy's asking for requests, I've asked for the old threads. Who know's if it'll get acted upon but maybe if a number of us ask? (no harm in trying/asking)

Bluenote and Spygirl like this.
  14. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

She had a foodie blog for around the san fran bay area, I can't remember the name of it though.

15. lost sheep

lost sheep Active Member

Just out of curiosity, when did the site get the face lift?

16. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

November 2014

Bluenote likes this.
  17. NeverAgain

NeverAgain Member

Oh Ray your amazing , creative writing is forever missed on here .Pliz Harpy it wld really make mine n lots of other Afterelleners' year if u reposted some of the old threads .... :) Even the occassional lurker's:).

WindInTime and Bluenote like this.