She

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by invincible, Nov 30, 2014.

1. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

This is something that happened to me a few years ago just before I joined AE. The hardest thing to do was starting the story so for that I have Nancy and Moses to thank for giving the right push and a bit of editing. I've been working on the story as a hobby, adding a little every time I felt like it. I haven't finished writing everything but I thought I'd show you what I have so far. Hope you guys like it. =)

greylin and Just Me like this.
  2. invincible

"Just An Ordinary Day"

There wasn't anything extraordinary when I met her. I went about beginning my day with the usual rituals. I woke up feeling the same way as I did and do every morning. Sluggish. It would take an hour before I'm fully awake. I dragged myself out of bed the same way I have been doing for the past years of my life. Mornings and I don't get along well so the process was always done in increments and this was no different from other mornings.

With eyes still partly closed, I staggered towards the door and muttered a mild curse as I stepped on books scattered on the floor. I stopped to clear the way with a foot and, as I did so, heard my Mum calling out from outside my door. Breakfast was ready but I stood in the middle of the room for a couple of minutes getting my bearings before going out. I had just broken up with my girlfriend and wasn't particularly relishing any social gathering but I had to. I had promised my mother I would be at the local church where an assorted group of women met once a month for social interaction, snacks, and a bit of scripture. By the time I had finished getting ready we were rushing out the door.

Everyone was present and waiting for us at church. I knew everyone there because, since my father passed away, I practically accompanied my mother everywhere. My siblings had all moved, having families of their own, so it was just me and my mum.

I didn’t notice her at first because the mass of welcoming people overwhelmed me. I’ve always been shy especially in events that involved more than ten people so while my mother was catching up with her friends I found a chair near the window to watch everyone from afar. After a while, someone stood beside me.

"Hi," a voice said. I initially hadn’t seen her because my glasses did not provide that much peripheral vision. "I’m Cathy."

I whipped round to the right and saw a dark-haired girl with a welcoming smile. Oh good, I thought, someone my age, and I smiled back. "Emily."

"Are you here alone?" She asked.

"No," I nodded towards a group standing near the door. "I’m with my mum. You’re new here."

"Yeah. Just joined." She smiled and I smiled back as she took a seat a chair away. We lapsed into an easy silence and after some time everyone eventually settled down. I don’t particularly remember what the meeting was that day but that was how I met the girl who would soon be part of my every waking hour whether I liked it or not.

greylin likes this.
  3. invincible

~~~~~​

I saw her again the following month. My mother is one of those people who easily makes friends and, after the meeting, she invited Cathy and an older lady out for lunch. It was a pleasant lunch that extended more than an hour. I learned a lot about her and it turned out she had just recently transferred to my city.

"What brings you here?" My mom asked her.

"I’m doing my residency," Cathy said. "I like the weather here so much that I decided to do it here."

"Living alone?" Leanne, the older lady, asked.

"Sort of," Cathy said. "I live in the house of my aunt who’s abroad. Someone takes care of it for her now that she’s away, but my aunt lets me stay there."

It felt like she wanted to say more but the conversation drifted on to other things while we ate. Pretty soon we were winding down with a cup of coffee and dessert. I found out she liked pastries as much as I did and we were talking about our favourites when she shifted to an entirely new topic.

"You always bring that with you?" Cathy pointed at my camera.

"Yeah," I said. "It’s a hobby. I missed out on something when I intentionally left it home one time. Didn’t want that to happen again."

"Good plan." As she said this, she twisted her shoulders to face me and gave a huge grin. "Take my picture."

I laughed and obliged. It was a couple of shots after when my mom and Leanne noticed and we ended up having a round of photos taken.

"Do you always make people look good?" She asked.

I thought about her question before saying no. "There’s only so much you can do for a person in a photograph. Sometimes you’ll just have to accept you’re not a miracle worker."

"You’re mean!" She laughed.

"No, I’m not!" I grinned at her. "I’m honest."

"In any case, you made me look good."

"You register well on a photograph."

You register well on a photograph. Friends would have been introducing their palms to their faces if they had been present and it was a good thing they weren't because my mind wasn’t on flirting. It wasn’t even in gear towards looking for a relationship and, most importantly, I just wasn’t attracted to her. To be honest, I didn’t even realise she was flirting until I thought about it in hindsight. And yet there she was and we would find ourselves spending time, a lot of time, with each other.

The lunch ended with assurances from everyone this would be the beginning of more get togethers between us. Numbers were exchanged and I got a text from her the minute I got home.

"Thank you for a nice lunch," her text read. "Please thank your Mum for me."

~~~~~​

greylin and ciba29 like this.
  4. invincible

"Frisbee"

It had been raining most of the time. Just a bit of rain in the afternoons but not so much that it would cause inconvenience so we had been planning on having coffee somewhere but our schedules never worked out. Cathy soon went home to visit her parents and, a week after she left, my mum and I went to visit my siblings. Since the lunch date, Cathy and I had become close and texted quite regularly. I found out she lived less than an hour from where my siblings were staying and promised to meet up while we were there.

I had my own room when I visited my oldest sister. It was during the two weeks I was there that Cathy would call me up every night. To my knowledge, we never flirted. We never even got round to talking about our gender preference. We just talked about random things until she’d notice I’d be drifting off to sleep and that’s when she’d say goodnight. In the morning, she’d be the first to text me. I have to admit, for someone who had just gotten out of a relationship it was flattering to have that kind of attention but I never thought anything of it.

While I was visiting my sister, my ex called. She asked what I had been up to and that she was trying to call the other night but my phone was busy. I told her I was on the phone with a friend.

“I called several times in intervals for an hour.” There was something accusatory in her voice. I know I didn’t need to explain but I somehow felt guilty so I told her about Cathy and how she had been calling every night.

“Oh wow,” my ex said. “She likes you.”

“Nahhhh,” I replied after a long pause. “I don’t think so. I have a feeling she’s not into girls.”

We talked for a bit and said goodbye. I thought about what my ex said and shook my head. There was something odd about Cathy and I couldn’t quite put a finger on it so I let it go and got ready for bed.

~~~~~

"So," Cathy said one night. "My friends and I are going to this frisbee thing Friday night. Want to join us?"

"I don't know how to play frisbee," I told her.

"It'll be fine. Someone there will teach you and if you want to you can join the game later." When she sensed my hesitance, she added, “It’ll be fun!”

I thought about my current state of unhealthiness and how I’ve been wanting to try new things so I ended up telling her I’d go.

When trying new things I get obsessed about not messing up so for several days I did what I did best, I obsessed. I read up on the sport and watched YouTube videos. I psyched myself up by imagining myself doing it. If I can see it, then I can do it. It’s my I believe I can fly self-motivation mantra.

By the time game day came along I had lost steam which worked out for the best. I wasn’t worked up about it and I could go there to have fun. I eventually realised there are just some things self-motivation can’t help with. In my first few throws, the frisbee went everywhere except where it was supposed to go. After a few minutes, Cathy stopped by to watch and gave me a thumbs up.

“You’re doing great!” She shouted.

I swore under my breath.

greylin likes this.
  5. invincible

~~~~~

I eventually warmed up to the game and started to enjoy myself after thirty minutes of throwing the disc back and forth with someone. By the time we were done, we were muddy and sweaty. Since I didn’t want to wait in line for the limited number of shower cubicles, and it was midnight, I decided to shower at home.

“Did you enjoy it?” I heard a voice behind me while I was packing my towel and dirty socks. I whirled around to see Cathy.

“Yeah,” I answered. “Surprisingly, I did like the sport. I think if I get a bit better at it I can join the game one of these days.”

“That’s good to hear,” she said. “How are you getting home?”

“I brought the car with me,” I told her. “Do you have a ride home?”

“I’m taking a taxi with a friend. She lives in the same area.”

“Why don’t you hitch with me and I’ll drop you guys off where you can get a cab?”

She brightened at my suggestion and said thanks as she went in search of her friend. When she came back, she had already toweled off and had her backpack with her.

“I have something for you,” she said as she handed me a box of Oreos. I gave her a big grin.

“You remembered! Thanks!”

During one of our nightly calls, I had mentioned how I liked Oreos and licking the cream off the cookies. It was one of those random things she asked about me and, let’s face it, if I was going to be given something I’d rather it be something I like so I told her. I’m not ashamed to admit I can easily be bribed with food.

“Just don’t eat everything at once,” she said.

Mhm. Like that’s going to happen.

We didn’t see each other for the rest of my stay in the city and I didn’t get to go to another frisbee game but we still continued texting and talking every night even when I had gone back home.

~~~~~

“Another Church Thing”

The next time I saw Cathy was during the monthly church gathering. I was seated where I always sat, away from the crowd. Cathy arrived soon after.

“Hey,” I waved at her.

“Hey yourself.” She took a seat beside me and nodded at the rest of the women. “I doubt it’ll start soon.”

There was a bit of commotion with the rest of the group. I looked up to see a thin, smallish lady who had just come in and everyone had rushed to greet her. I called her auntie even if she was not a relative. Aunt Sally hadn’t been attending the monthly gatherings because she had been assigned to another city for work so it was a surprise for everyone that she was there. I heard my mum suggesting some sort of sleepover and rolled my eyes. That meant cleaning the house and setting up beds and going to the grocery to stock up. Going to the grocery is in my least favourite chores to do.

After a while, people did settle down and the get-together began in earnest. My mind wandered off and began listing the things I needed to do to prepare the house for guests. I let out an audible, exasperated sigh.

“What’s wrong?” Cathy asked quietly.

“We know who’s going to do all the stuff to prepare the house for the sleepover, don’t we?” I made a face and Cathy chuckled.

“We can help,” she said. “Don’t worry about anything. I’ll let people know to pitch in.”

“That’d be great! Thanks!” I answered and turned back my attention to what the was being discussed.

~~~~~

My mum and I had gone to the grocery and had just gotten home when the phone started ringing. It was Aunt Sally calling to say she had been summoned to her hometown because her mum had been brought to the hospital so she was leaving that afternoon. The news about Aunt Sally’s mum didn’t come as a surprise. Her mother had been in and out of the hospital for the past couple of months and was going to need surgery this time.

My mum decided to call off the sleepover because of that and the fact that it had started to rain hard. I, of course, didn’t mind and opened a bag of chips before plopping down on my bed to read a book.

That evening, just as we were about to cook dinner, the phone rang again. It was Cathy asking my mum if she could still sleepover despite it being cancelled.

“If you’re bringing dinner then we’ll see you here tonight.” I heard my mum laugh. “Just text when you’re on your way. ”

I frowned. I thought I was going have a nice, quiet, rainy night to read the book I had wanted to finish.

~~~~~

greylin, Gentry and Just Me like this.
  6. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

greylin likes this.
  7. aussie_gabby

aussie_gabby Well-Known Member

More!

greylin and Just Me like this.
  8. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

More, and hey, don't be "invisible"!