Seeking new friends on a Global scale :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cappug, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Cappug

Cappug Member

I'm a Finn with a heart of gold, at least I hope so. Some mischief is fun sometimes but I try play by the rules most of the time if they're fair and justified. I spent my 20's having kids and now I find myself living this double life that often feels like a half life. Oh I'm out. I've told it over and over to the people around me but some of them seem to think it's a joke. Their problem, not mine. I'm an active member of my local LGTB group and love socializing with the rainbow folk. By that double life I mean that every other week I'm a full time mama dearest and then every other week the kids are at their dad's house and it's just me and my cat and I feel like the lesbian caricature :p When I'm not sitting home alone watching movies and TV, reading books and listening to music, I'm out meeting friends and the small local LGTB group. I have two Facebook accounts, one in my real name and then I made another for my global friends when my relatives were being a little silly about me writing English all the time and "pretending to be something I'm not". In truth, I'm more myself online than off. It seems I communicate better with foreigners than my fellow Finns. So bring on new friends abroad! :)

I went back to school and graduated as a CAD drafter for construction and technical drawings. I can manage some 3D drafting as well. All my life I've loved houses and have been intrigued by how they're made. I've always been doodling floor plans and now I can make real ones but have to work under Engineers or architects. Sometimes I get this crazy idea that I've got what it takes to apply to college and become a construction engineer, but then I come to my senses and face the fact that I need sharpen my math skills a lot before that can be a reality and then there's the question of finances during that time. So yep, currently I'm just looking for a job and trying to get some life experiences under my belt. Trying not to become a complete hermit. :D I like to get cozy.

I love the English language and apparently I love to write it. I don't mean that I'm an author or anything. I think you have to actually finish one of your stories to become that. LOL. I've been hanging out on some global Forums for the past 8 years or so and apparently I've become quite fluid. At least at writing English. Try actually speaking English with me and you'll be wondering if this is even the same person you've been writing with when I become this nervous stuttering idiot whose tongue doesn't seem to quite twist the right way and my pronunciation goes to hell. I'm a little shy in real life and my social skills are limping at best when I talk to new people or am surrounded by a lot of people. Plus, I've never traveled further than the Scandinavia so I haven't had so many chances at speaking English.

So what else? I'm prone to rambling and over sharing? Ask anything. Lets converse! :)

PS. I'm a little nerdy and geeky. Lets talk SW, BTTF, Supernatural, Buffy; or perhaps the inner workings of your dream house? I'm always interested in learning new things and how things work. Tell me about yourself. I'm sure you're way more interesting than me! :D

2. aussie_gabby

aussie_gabby Well-Known Member

3. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

@Salla is a fellow Finn.
    Lots of folks in Scandanavia speak english, if you are looking to practice. You could do a weekend trip to Stockholm / Copenhagen / Oslo, etc... look at architecture, look at city planning, go to the Lesbian bars and practice english.

I've traveled a bunch in Finland. It's an amazing country, though I'm not so fond of what you toppings you guys put on pizza.

There's some good people here on AE. If you just jump in and start posting on threads, you can make some good friends.

Salla likes this.
  4. jellohead

jellohead Well-Known Member

I'm from the US and dream of building an ICF home covered in solar panels and a blue metal roof someday...

5. Salla

Salla Active Member

Hey! And welcome! :) I'm indeed a fellow Finn living currently in the UK, although, summers and most vacations I spend in good ol' Finland. :)

6. Salla

Salla Active Member

7. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

8. Canuckgrl

Canuckgrl Member

Hi Cappug..welcome! I'm fairly new on the site myself and there are some interesting topics that float around. I live in BC, Canada. Never been to Finland, but perhaps one day. Love meeting new people and chatting so if you are interested? Drop me a line! :)

9. Cappug

Cappug Member

Hi there @aussie_gabby :) Australian? I'd love to go there one day. How are you?

10. Cappug

Cappug Member

I'd love to travel around looking at architecture and gay bars. I've got a friend in Åland who I could go to Stockholm with sometime. We've also been planning on go to Netherlands this summer if all goes fine :) We've got some common friends there, also internet friends.

Pizza toppings? :D Are you from Italy? I've got two friends in Italy who always go "what the hell" with our pizza toppings. Especially since half my life the only pizza I knew was the Opera which has tuna, ham and pineapple. Now I'm more into my own selected toppings of onion, tomato and mozzarella. It's even approved by my Italian soul-sisters :)

11. Cappug

Cappug Member

That sounds good! :D

12. Cappug

Cappug Member

Hi there. I love a lot of Canadian things and people. :) A lot of my favorite TV and movies are made there, a lot of my favorite actors are from there. How is life treating you over there? :)

13. aussie_gabby

I am indeed Australian. I'm good, how are you? Australia is super pretty. I recommend it :)

14. Cappug

Cappug Member

Oh and Australians are super pretty too! :D I swear like 70% of my celebrity crushes have been aussies. I just love you guys. and the accent is so sexy! :p when I heard Yvonne Strahovsky's real accent the first time I was like "and I thought she couldn't get any sexier.." :D and those three ladies singing cover songs in the car! I love them! :D

I'm great. I took a long walk today and then passed out for a three hour nap. Clear sign I'm in dire need of updating my shape. :p The budding summer has me all full of energy to take on the world :D

Emm likes this.
  15. aussie_gabby

Thanks :) Im not sure all our accents are great though. A three hour nap is very impressive! It's almost winter here but i think that might be the same as your summer :p

Cappug likes this.
  16. Canuckgrl

Canuckgrl Member

Things are going well thanks! Hows life over there? I love Canada, it's such a great country. I love Europe as well; so rich in history and beautiful scenery. Summer is right around the corner, tho it feels like its here already. So warm and sunny outside. Great weather! Whats your fave thing to do in the summer?

Cappug likes this.
  17. Cappug

Cappug Member

Yes I imagine your winter is about as cold or warm as our summer :p I love summer here but I imagine I'd love summer or winter anywhere where it's warmer than +15 Celsius :D If I never saw snow again I could definitely live with that. :p

18. Cappug

Cappug Member

Life here is pretty good but there are ups and downs. I imagine if I would want to live in a country that reminded me of my home in Finland, It would be Canada. I suppose you guys really understand when I say I love the white nights in the summer and the big clear starry skies in the winter. But it's too damn cold up here (and there?) too much of the time. We've had our first summer rains this weekend. Now little more sunshine next week and everything will be green :) I like picnics and long walks in the summer time. :)

19. mg

mg Member

Hi there!
    I'm way half the globe from where you are, more of a computer (parts and progs) but it's my brother who is more like you. Hope to be your friend and welcome here. Haven't been in a cold country, I lived most of my life in a wet and dry place in the Pacific...

20. Canuckgrl

Canuckgrl Member