Road Trip solo USA/Canada

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Pimousse, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Pimousse

Pimousse Member

Hello,

So i've been planning this big road trip for a while now and I want to share with you, maybe get some advices and meet some of you on my journey :)

I will be on the road for almost 6 months, starting in Miami on March 23 and finishing in Vancouver on September 12.

I won't get into details and all the cities I will pass because it will be a very long thread, so I will put the map and start with Florida for now.

I will be landing in Miami on march 23 and stay until the 28th. After that I will visit Key Largo and Key West for 2 days.
    I'll stop for a night in West Palm Beach on my way to Orlando where I will stay 4/5 days to visit Disneyworld and Universal Studio.
    And then I'll visit Daytona Beach and Tallahassee on my way to New Orleans.

After that I just tell you the big stops of my trip, so you know where I will be and when.

April: Atlanta / Washington / New York
    May: Provincetown / Boston / Niagara Falls / Chicago
    June: following the "road 66" (what's left of it anyway) to Las Vegas / San Francisco
    July: San Diego / Los Angeles / Three Rivers
    August: heading north along the west coast to Vancouver
    September : Vancouver

So as I already said, advices are very welcome and if you want to meet, just PM me :)

Here is the map:
    [​IMG]

2. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

That's awesome! You're driving then I take it?

If you're coming all the way to Vancouver, check out whistler village... Also pride is August 2nd if you can make it to that it's a week long celebration :)

3. Pimousse

Pimousse Member

Yes I will be driving.
    But I will be in Vancouver on August 22 or 23, so no gay pride. But I will be at the one in San Francisco so... :)
    I will check out whistler village then, thank you!

4. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

PM me if you want info on PTown, Boston, the drive from Boston to Chicago, or Chicago.

5. A.M.Knightly

A.M.Knightly Member

This sounds amazing! On your way through Florida you should drive through st. Augustine. Its beautiful!

jellohead likes this.
  6. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

The San Francisco pride sounds epic! ... Also check out Davie street village in west Vancouver, it's known as the gaybourhood of the city... Lots of lgbt shops/bars/restaurants :)

7. Pimousse

Pimousse Member

Thank you, I can make a stop on my way to Tallahassee from Daytona Beach so will do :)

Thanks, It's noted!

I will, thank you :)

8. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

I discovered couchsurfing.com when someone posted about the site on the old AE. It's a site that connects travelers with hosts. Even if I didn't plan on staying with someone, I've used it to contact locals and get information on places to go or things to see. I've met some pretty nice people on it too. =)

Bluenote likes this.
  9. Pimousse

Pimousse Member

Thank you, I signed up last month to meet people and maybe stay with someone in case I found myself homeless :)

invincible likes this.
  10. Guppy

Guppy Member

Well If you need any advice anywhere in Florida let me know. I can let you know of some events that are going on in Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Tallahassee during March. Maybe New Orleans going in 2 weeks. If your on CS personal message me. I can hook you up with people that I know through out the U.S. Happy Travels :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    invincible and Pimousse like this.
  11. aftertheL

aftertheL Guest

That looks like my dream trip! I hope you'll enjoy it and maybe make a few posts about it! :)
    Have fun!!

Pimousse likes this.
  12. Pimousse

Pimousse Member

@aftertheL thank you :)

I am in Miami since Monday and I enjoy myself very much!
    I still can't believe I am actually here, still feels like a dream.
    I picked up my car thursday and I will do my first real ride to the everglades tomorrow.
    I am not really 100% confident driving here, it's different than in France but it's easy enough.
    I should be fine soon.

13. aftertheL

aftertheL Guest

Hey! I bet it feels like a dream... If I ever decide to do that too I'm pretty sure it will feel surreal for a while!
    I'm glad you enjoyed Miami! How is it going now?
    From what I've experienced, driving in Florida is pretty easy. The roads are nice and it's easy to find your way. I hope it's going great for you! :)

14. Pimousse

Pimousse Member

2 weeks and it still feels surreal!
    I'm on my last night in New Orleans, going to Memphis tomorrow.
    Driving is easy now that I got it. I am amaze by what I see. The road between Tallahassee and New Orleans was great!
    If you want to follow where I am you can check that map: http://www.tripline.net/trip/_MADRT2015-1351101144611010AC4BEA9871C52EF2
    I try to update it as I travel.

aftertheL likes this.
  15. aftertheL

aftertheL Guest

It will probably feel surreal for a few more weeks as you see more great places! :D
    It sounds like you're having a great time and I'm glad you got used to driving there so fast. :)
    I'll definitely check your map! I know I said it before but enjoyyyyyyyyyyyy :D

Pimousse likes this.
  16. Pimousse

Pimousse Member

Hello!

I just wanted to give you some updates :)

So the road-trip in the US is over :(
    It went very well! Of course I had some bad experiences but it's to be expected and that the stories you tell the most!

Here is the final map, I made some changes along the road: http://www.tripline.net/trip/_MADRT2015-1351101144611010AC4BEA9871C52EF2

I really had a great time, I got very lucky with the weather almost everywhere, I had fun driving, especially when I finally got the SUV in Chicago. Driving the route 66 was the part I enjoyed the most.

My favorite city is Boston. I loved it so much I almost cry when I was leaving.
    I visited a lot of parks, they're really amazing. I can't pick a favorite one, they're so different. But the one I found the most beautiful is Yellowstone. The one I had the most fun hiking is Mesa Verde. And the landscape in Bryce Canyon is pretty incredible!

I went to gay pride in San Francisco. I didn't expect it to be so big compare to the one in Paris! It was really fun.

Now I'm enjoying the rest of my days in Vancouver, Steveston Village in Richmond to be precise. Big Once Upon A Time fan here so I had to see Storybrooke for myself! And I am not disappointed! Too bad I just missed filming as I was still in the US on the 21st.

It's gonna be hard going back to my life in France. I just want to go back in March 23 and do it all again. Can't wait for my next trip!

Tamara05 likes this.
  17. Friday

Friday New Member

Ohh..never mind my pm, I can find all the answers here! ;) Glad you had a great time. :)

Pimousse likes this.
  18. Pimousse

Pimousse Member

I replied anyway, didn't see you posted here ;)