Question for Aussies about TV shows

Discussion in 'Off-Topic TV Shows' started by Copper, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Copper

Copper Member

I am from the U.S.

I like watching Australian TV shows on HuluPlus & other networks.

Can you give me a list of Aussies TV shows that you like. Crime dramas, comedies, etc.

They don't have to have lesbians but strong female leads preferred.

I have been watching "Sea Patrol" which I like since I am retired from the US Navy.

So any kind of shows like that.

Thanks.

2. Ottie

Ottie Member

A few suggestions, I'm sure I haven't thought of all because in all honesty Sea Patrol would not have even crossed my mind to recommend.

AE have covered the obvious ones like Janet King and Wentworth.

Others:

Crime:
    Halifax FP

Drama:
    Love Child
    Offspring
    Winners and Losers
    Redfern Now
    ANZAC Girls
    Puberty Blues
    Love my Way
    Tangle

Comedy:
    Upper Middle Bogan
    Frontline - kind of blokey but good - episodes now on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/FrontlineAustralia
    It's a Date - various comedians
    The Checkout - a consumer affairs show that probably won't translate all that well to international audiences but some segments like "As a guilty mum" and "As a loving pet owner" are gold regardless. http://www.abc.net.au/tv/thecheckout/
    Kath and Kim - US tried to do a reboot - not sure if Australian version will translate well
    Laid

3. Necros

Necros Member

I would also suggest McLeod's Daughters, Rescue Special Ops and Spirited. :)

4. Jen_586

Jen_586 New Member

You have to watch Wentworth. Best Aussie drama on TV at the moment. Based on a Women's prison. Its nothing like OITNB as some people say it is but its totally different. More grittier & realistic. S3 just started on Netflix but try watching from S1. Guarantee you will be hooked. It has a great female cast who are all strong actors & play their parts all so well. A couple of others is All Saints a drama based on medical/hospital storylines (isn't on anymore but you can watch all EPs on YouTube)
    Winners and losers which is drama/comedy
    House Husbands another drama/comedy
    Rush a police drama (but isn't on anymore but you can watch all EPs on YouTube)
    All of the Underbelly series are awesome too