Question about robots

Discussion in 'AE & Site-Related Specific' started by Nancy, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

OK so writing that title was weird enough. What are the robots? Why was one (Baidu) looking at my profile yesterday? Is this the start of a robot upraising? Seriously though should we be worried or is it just hackers trying to work out how to spam the site?

2. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, how did you know that Baidu was looking at your page?

Generally speaking though on a search engine level, search engines employ 'robots' which 'spider' pretty much every single page on the web. Whether it be Google, Yahoo, Bing, Baidu, Yandex, and a multitude of other search engines - they probably have scanned it. They are not hackers or spammers, they're just trying to find every single page on the web to put it into their catalogue. That's how search engines work.

Just Me likes this.
  3. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

...meaning nothing is private on the internet.

4. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

I happened to be looking at the "current visitors" page and Baidu was there and was looking at my profile. Thanks for the explanation, I had no idea what the whole term "robots" was exactly (hence why I asked).

@Just Me a very good point well made :)

5. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

Oh ok. No problem, I work in digital marketing. It's my job to know these things. :)

But yep basically everything is public on the internet, even if you delete things. Something that makes me laugh constantly is when people post on Facebook about how they declare that Facebook cannot own anything that they post up under some random convention or rule. Everything you put online whether it be text, videos, or images can be attributable to you as you leave digital footprints everywhere you go. Big brother at its finest?

Nancy likes this.
  6. Fix Society

Fix Society Well-Known Member

Well, that's kinda scary. My small hope to actually talk to these robots has been dashed.

Nancy likes this.
  7. Just Me

We'll just have to stick with harassing siri...

8. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Not just me then

Just Me likes this.
  9. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

The silly thing is I don't have an iPhone I torment Siri on my friends' phones

10. Just Me

Lmao! I'm literally that idiot who just laughed at the computer in the middle of class. I'm done

Bluenote and Nancy like this.