Need to get over a delusional love

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Laurie Crofty, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Laurie Crofty

Laurie Crofty New Member

Hello all!
    I need to write it down so that it clears my mind, and hopefully move on.

I work overseas. We had new hires about a year ago, one in particular that caught my attention. I didn't pursue it as I was in a relationship, long distant relationship. Still, we became friends, she had a PS4 - you don't let go a woman that has a PS4 - She told me then she is straight, in a distant relationship as well. And I told to myself, I can totally be friend with her, I will get over that crush, not my first time, been there - done that! I even told her I had a crush on her but won't go any further. She was flattered (so cute <3 - bear with me, I am in pain).
    Three months after that, my relationship was a dead end. So, I broke up. And I turned to her for a friendly shoulder to cry on, which led to a deeper level of friendship, we talk about everything now.
    Three months after that, she broke up with her boyfriend. I was sad for her and felt her pain. But, a part of me was smiling - the dumb me though I could control my feelings and just buried deep down, and it would disappear. In fact, all those months, long walks, gym together, lunch together, laughter and insults, I just fell in love with her, wishing one day she would return my affection. Some co-workers even noticed how closed we were and asked me if we were dating. - that is just not ok with my delusional love.
    Fast forward last week - She met somebody. And guess who she turns to ask advice? her platonic friend, me. As a good friend, I told her to go for it - she looked so happy - As a secretly in love with her, it crushed me. I cried twice on my pillow today.
    Next week end, we are going to have a party all together - As a good friend, I will be all sociable and funny and nice - As a secretly in love with her, watching them together will kill me. And, my pillow will probably pay the price.

I had no chance, still I dig deeper and shoved my heart in. Why ??
    I am mad at myself because I knew I will suffer from it. I really do like her as a friend, and I don't want my stupid infatuation to ruin it. But, I feel like it will eventually, if I don't back away and heal my heart.

I just needed to let it out. Thanks for reading.

2. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

You never had a chance. She is straight.

Take some time away from her, if you need to.....because at the end of the day you risk losing your friendship if you cannot keep it as a friendship with her. You risk making her completely uncomfortable if she knows that you've been friends with her on the surface but kept hidden an ulterior motive for more.

greylin likes this.
  3. Laurie Crofty

Laurie Crofty New Member

lol lol ... Now that you say that, I feel trapped. And, the more I think about it, I don't think I want to stay that close to her as a friend. I know I will fall in that situation again ...
    Anyway, she is leaving soon for another job. Few months and I don't have to stay away from her, she will be away.