My gosh, the music section here's looking a little scanty...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Greg, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Perhaps I can help do a little something about that. I'm actually much more knowledgeable with the music than I am the TV and movies, and can contribute more on it. Especially older, more classic stuff. So some time ago, I compiled one of my many, many iTunes playlists with the Sapphic stuff—well, two playlists: one with everything, the other with mainly just the hits from these artists—and this is pretty much what I came up with. (I gave most of these songs a special audio treatment that I like to do, but more on that another time.) Quotes from some of them are in my signature.

Going chronologically—as I tend to do—hits-wise, the first gal is actually the only British one I know, Dusty Springfield. Three main songs from her are in my hits-list: "Wishin' And Hopin'", then "The Look Of Love", then "Son Of A Preacher Man." She also did a little work with the Pet Shop Boys in the '80s and co-sang the theme song to Growing Pains in its fourth season.

After that come the Americans, first of which are the two ladies with the same first name, one of whom along with Dusty is the oldest (and deadest), Janis Joplin: "Piece Of My Heart", "Me And Bobby McGee", and "Get It While You Can." Then comes Janis Ian, though I only have one song from her, "At Seventeen." As for her, I keep meaning to go back and watch the first episode of SNL to see what she sang, which I'll do someday...

And we have The B-52s, in which both Fred Schneider and Kate Pierson are gay. If you're familiar with them (and with those huge B-52 hairdos, how could you not be), then I don't have to point out their biggest hits. But just for the fun of it..."Rock Lobster"..."Planet Claire"..."Private Idaho"..."Summer Of Love"..."Cosmic Thing", "Love Shack", "Roam", "Good Stuff", and even a couple tracks recorded for The Flintstones movie in 1994, where they were live and went by the name The BC-52s.

So after that's Joan Jett, whose sexuality may be a little murky, but I'm very fond of her entire Blackhearts album I Love Rock 'N' Roll, even if most of it's composed of stuff she didn't actually write herself. Several years after that then's of course "I Hate Myself For Loving You." She's actually from the same little corner of America I am. (There's another Brit who's bisexual if we're to count her, the aptly-surnamed Samantha Fox, who did "Touch Me (I Want Your Body)", "I Wanna Have Some Fun", "Naughty Girls Need Love Too", and a number of other naughty songs like that.) And Tracy Chapman's may be a little cloudy too, but she had the big hit in the '80s "Fast Car," took off in a fast car to obscurity and came back in the mid-'90s with "Give Me One Reason."

Then there're Amy and Emily Indigo (and yes, obviously, I know that's not their last name)...to whom I was actually first introduced through a tribute to The Clash—where they covered the song "Clampdown"—before I got their albums. Much of their stuff's in the lenghty folksy style you can just kinda get lost in, but along with the Clash cover there are two very notable ones from 1989 on their self-titled album: "Closer To Fine" and "Blood And Fire." I'll have go back through their albums again too.

And into the '90s...next is kathryn dawn, for whom we must be mindful of the Shift key. One of my favorites of hers is "Barefoot", from the movie Salmonberries. A year after that, out came her Ingénue album, with "The Mind Of Love", "Miss Chatelaine", "Constant Craving" and seven other poppy cuts. A couple years after that comes her album All You Can Eat with "If I Were You", "You're OK" and "Sexuality", and Drag, her whole homage to ciggies...and so on and forth from there.

Melissa's I think definitely my favorite, and I know she and k.d. were around before this in the '80s, just not as famously known yet. So that's why I listed them out thusly. Between her album from '93, Yes I Am—which is just an incredible record all the way through—'95's, Your Little Secret—which is really almost just as great—and Breakdown, there are so many terrific songs it would take a lot of time and space to list them all. But burning hell, I don't have to explain to you how awesome Melissa is. But I want to add that while it's hard to keep track of all her stuff, and I don't have everything of hers yet, I have her newest one (as of this post), This Is M.E. from '14. The big singles on that one are "Take My Number" and "Monster." Imagine, over a full decades ago she was asking us to come to her window...and that then she wanted to come over.

Then there's "What's Up?", the one big hit from the 4 Non Blondes, led by the woman who is now the wife of Sara Gilbert, Linda Perry. Despite the fact that that band's not really known for much of anything else, that one song has retained quite a little legacy, inspiring covers and parodies and so forth on afterwards.

Then about a decade later, there's Jen Foster—not to be confused with Jodie—who made a follow-up to Katy Perry's song "I Kissed A Girl" and entitling it "I Didn't Just Kiss Her." Among some of her other tunes (that I know at least) are "She", "6 Words" and "Free". But for me, the best one of Jen's is easily, hands-down "Seize The Moment."

Two more Americans. Marnie Alton, who played Sam in Exes and Ohs and also sings and plays guitar. One of E&O's first season's special features was a video of her song "If I Loved You Anymore." And Mary Lambert, the youngest—actually quite a good little bit younger than I am—known for "She Keeps Me Warm" and "Secrets." And not least but last, one I'm guessing not too many know but me (while a bold claim)...

This last one's a Swedish lady, Eva Dahlgren, and most of her stuff's in her native language, though she's got a couple in English, and collaborated on a song or two with Roxette and Gyllene Tider. She's been going pretty strong since the very early '80s—so I broke the chronology rule to talk about her, sue me—and she came out in 1995, around the time of a particular album of hers which sounds like a big long opera, and has a couple songs devoted to her then-girlfriend now-wife, Efva Attling. It was kind of funny, I listened to her '80s and early '90s stuff, and it's very pop-rocky, very powerful and moving...and suddenly after 1995, she sounds folksy. Go figure. ;) I don't have all her stuff, but most notably, I have her 2005 album Snö (Snow), which is a perfect example of her musical style shift. Of course, it was also a much different time pop culture-wise, and most artists lucky enough to stick around are going to change their styles at least a little to adapt.

Whew! Well okay! There's my input on that. Are there any I missed? Well, I'm sure there probably are—likely more recent artists—and if so, please point them out! Or your favorite songs from any of the ones I did mention! This is your pal Greg, AE, signing off until next time. Cheers!