Moving to San Francisco

Discussion in 'Travel' started by k101, Sep 6, 2013.

1. k101

k101 Member

So my girlfriend and I are moving to San Fran in about a month, and we are looking for a place to live. Does anyone have an empty room to fill? Or know of anyone who is? We are clean, polite, and quiet! Please let me know if you have any suggestions, or any tips for looking for a place here :)

2. lorienczhiu

lorienczhiu Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Bay!

If you're moving to the city proper... good luck. San Francisco is psychotically expensive to live in (thanks in part to the google boom), and the neighborhoods which tend to be affordable have some rough patches, or are relatively transit inaccessible. I know people who have had good luck in the Richmond, the Sunset, and South SF - if you're set on living in the city.

My fiancee works in the city; we live in the East Bay, where I work, in a relatively nice neighborhood (15 minute walk from a BART station, great walk score for cafes and restaurants). Our apartment in the city would cost about 50% more than what we pay - AND the cost of living is lower here too. We might move to SF if we both had jobs there and were commuting to the city, but as it is this has worked out beautifully. (For the first month after we moved here, we sublet a room while we looked for a place; most landlords won't rent sight unseen, and it's worth it to make sure that you can stay someplace long term and that you can get along with roommates, if you're looking for a houseshare.)

If you haven't, check out padmapper.com. Great resource for customizing your search, more navigable than craigslist, and pulls from lots of different listing sites. We found it pretty comprehensive for our neighborhood.

3. k101

k101 Member

Thanks so much! We are very prepared for how expensive it will be, unfortunately. The 3 places we want to live most are New York City, Chicago and San Fran so we know what to expect. We are staying with a friend in Danville for a few weeks while we look for an apartment, so at least we have that. Thanks for your input, it was really helpful! I keep hearing all these different neighborhood names, and while I have seen a very detailed breakdown of each one, I still don't know what i'm doing when I search. theres too many to remember! Thanks again for your advice. We are really excited to get there but pretty nervous. :shock:

4. lorienczhiu

lorienczhiu Well-Known Member

The map breakdown really helped us when apartment searching, because the neighborhood names meant nothing and we could evaluate walk score, use streetview to check the sketchiness, and overlay the crime map. Our place was the 13th we saw in about two weeks, and we have no reason to move unless we want to relocate to the city or buy a place - it's at the upper end of our range, but it's really lovely (fireplace, hardwood, patio, dishwasher, extra room!). I am huge advocate for the East Bay as an awesome place to live, especially for queer ladies with nonprofit incomes like me.

Also, if you're job searching as well, it's worth knowing wherever you live that: SF has higher wage laws than the surrounding towns, as well as cool benefits laws ($10.55/hr minimum, plus a health savings account paid by your employer per hour that you work - my fiancee was awarded $3000 in 1.5 years that she worked part-time, even though she didn't have insurance through her employer), and a lower unemployment rate (5.7%, compared to 7.7% nationally).