Moving to a new city/country-San Antonio

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Elliej, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Elliej

Elliej New Member

Ok just accepted a job in San Antonio. I'm Irish so in general there will be a culture shock. Just curious on what it's like to be queer in Texas? Also what's the scene like there? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks :)

2. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

I have no idea. I think parts of Texas are very conservative and parts are liberal and laid back. Austin, Texas (which is an hour from San Antonio) is supposed to be liberal, laid back and have a good music scene.

If Texas doesn't work for you, try Boston. Everyone in Boston is Irish (really, it is the most Irish city in the US).

Good luck in the USA and welcome to AE.

3. Elliej

Elliej New Member

Thanks for replying! Think I would avoid Boston, if I wanted Irish people I'd stay in Ireland! Ha

4. Eloise

Eloise Well-Known Member

Texas is in the south and a red (Republican) state. Southerners in general are not liberal, so you might want to keep your head down until you know which way the wind bows in your new home town. That being said, San Antonio is a major city and would probably be more diverse than a small town. It's not too far from California, so if you don't find it your cup of tea, you can always more to a more progressive state. Good luck.