Love & Basketball

Discussion in 'Does She Like Me?' started by K2200, Jun 25, 2016.

1. K2200

K2200 Member

Hey all.. I'm in a predicament and sure could use some insight.

First off, my names "Kay", I'm Canadian, physiotherapist, lover of all things sports and beer. I played varsity basketball all throughout Uni and after graduating 2 yrs ago continued as the teams trainer.

So this story's about Laura (Lo).. Lo is a senior in her thesis year who's been playing point for the 2 years I've been trainer. Shes 3 yrs younger than me. It wasn't until the end of last term that we all of a sudden hit it off, and since April have had this on and off flirtation happening.

Since the first time we met I always thought she had the most wonderful smile, she was as sweet as can be, and there was no doubt that she was insanely hot. Not having the guts but also being busy enough on the sidelines, I never made an attempt at getting to know her. So we'd never really had a full conversation before until it was one day after practice and I was putting stuff away in the teams office when she just came in and sat down and we started talking, mostly about nonsense really but i was just so thrilled that she was there that I didn't even realize that we spent over an hour just chatting about school and life and family. When she finally left I was so pumped up and giddy that I forgot to lock the office and got in some serious shit the next day...

After that day the staying late after practice continued (not every pracy, since she was in school and had a life) but at least once a week she would stay hours late and we would talk and laugh about almost everything. UntIl FINALLY Lo asked if I had snapchat (I'd been putting off adding her to any social media at this point cause I thought I was "playing it cool") So she added me adding "I'll send you so many pictures of my dog" to which I replied "we should go on a dog walk sometime, you should give me your number so we can make plans" And we exchange numbers!! Later that night I hop on my phone and see that she's sent me friend requests for Instagram and Facebook, when i finally accepted the request maybe Hours later (again.. Playing it cool) she left me a fb message that said "why didn't you add me sooner lol" now you can't tell me that's not flirty... As a goofy joke one time I made her a stick on name tag that was an inside joke, later that night she sends me a snap selfie of her in her bedroom with the sticker stuck permanently on her mirror- showing it off.

So this continues, the long visits after practice, the snaps of her - and her dog - (one of which was on her bed with her black bra plainly in sight...) sending me pictures of funny inside jokes and tagging me in memes, selfies of her making funny faces. Of course I'm reciprocating and talking to her every chance I get, whether it's a funny picture that reminds me of her, or a spin on an inside joke from earlier that day- she's so easy to talk to and we just have this connection like I've never felt before.

So in the last 4 weeks we've actually started hanging out outside of our phones and practice. She's got me going to the gym with her and we've been on a few dog walks together as well. Always alone. Sometimes she extends the invites, sometimes I do! I also have noticed that her friends on the team will bring her up often to me now, and seem to be talking her up... Now yesterday, There's a team photo on the wall in the fitness centre where we are sitting next to eachother (a fluke, as the photographer organized us) and I was walking with another team member (one of her friends) and she sees it, circles our heads with her finger and goes "awww!" And then walks away.. I was like aww what?! AWWW WHAT?!

This is a pretty long post so far, so if you have any questions please pry, or if this is as obvious as I think it is please slap me in the face.
    I know there's a huge potential that I'm reading into things and that she's just a friend, but I can't help but feel more when I'm with her. The most I can do is keep hanging out with her and seeing how things go - I don't even know if she's gay, and have no background on her past relationship statuses even though we've kind of gone down that road in conversation but not really..

2. SummertimeSadness

SummertimeSadness Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like she has a crush on you - that being said it is hard to tell with girls - how does she act around her teammates is she flirty with them as well? It seems like she is spending a lot of extra time sending you snaps and staying the odd night talking to you after practice - those are things I would only do with someone I was interested in or had a really strong friendship with!

Hoochi_Yamaguchi and K2200 like this.
  3. Gyldenragg

Gyldenragg Well-Known Member

Haha your post actually made me laugh, K2200. I can picture the scenes you're describing and they sound all happy and giddy. I have a feeling about this but so far there isn't a lot to go by so I don't want to set the expectations that high yet..

That being said, it's difficult to say for sure whether she's into you/girls romantically but she does for sure like your company and friendship and that's a great start! You've already laid out a great foundation so now might be the time to try to steer the conversation subtly onto that territory. Either try to bring up relationships etc in one of your conversations, more than you mentioned you've managed so far to try to figure out whether she might be interested in girls, and/or up your flirting a little to see if there's any response from her.

4. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

I have been wicked dense when it comes to whether or not girls have liked me in the past. Seriously. But I see definite "crush" written all over this. The strategically placed black bra....the specific mention of the word "flirty"....the fact that SHE came into the office and started chatting with you first...and continuing to do so.

I often tell the story of how some years ago, I was in a bar in New York City and managed to botch -- big time -- a girl's signals. As me and my friends walked to the bar (one of my friends lived in NYC and I was visiting)....there was some kind of LGBT sports benefit and this group was selling tickets to it outside a popular bar...this girl asks me to buy a ticket..I explain I'm from out of town. She continues the conversation..saying she was in a theatre troop..said she travels up and down the coast and is in my city often and wanted me to write in her note book places of interest (like the gay bars)..so I did...I was way too blind to realize she wanted my number as well....which...I......forgot....to...write. Then the evening progresses...to where I'm standing by the bar with my friends and she walks by and places not one but both hands on my hips....it only took me about 10 minutes after she'd left do say...I've got to find this girl, I think she likes me! And I never did...missed opportunity right there.

Of course, my dorkified self says to see what happens...let her make the first move. But at the same time, and based on the paragraph above...my advice should be taken with a grain of salt :) Because if i were in this situation, I guarantee I
    I'd have no clue :)

All kidding aside -- well, not really. Let her take the lead since you're somewhat in a position of authority with the team...and if you're really dying to know more..invite her out casually for a drink or coffee and see how she responds..you can always downplay it as not being a date.

5. Gyldenragg

Gyldenragg Well-Known Member

Haha tell me about it Spygirl... Haven't we all been in those situations where we just wanted to slap ourselves afterwards... It's amazing how dense and oblivious I can be at times. So yeah, if the hot Swedish girl who worked/works at the Trafford Centre up north in England happens to read this... I apologize for completely missing out on your very (in hindsight) obvious signs ;p

And to get back on topic... I agree with Spygirl. Ask the girl out for a coffee or something that lets you spend more time together without being overly 'date-like'.

mariannek2u and Spygirl like this.
  6. K2200

K2200 Member

Thanks for your reply. I agree, to the untrained eye it WOULD seem that she's feeling me. Around the team shes just herself, gets involved and goofs around.. but that's like a group of 25 women so its hard to gauge if she acts the same around them that she does with me. However, one thing i noticed was when we are alone doing stuff together and someone she knows will stop to talk to her, she'll say hi but dismiss them asap to get back to us and what we were doing, which i always think is super sweet - that being said, a good friend would do the same!

SummertimeSadness likes this.
  7. littlenikki15

littlenikki15 Well-Known Member

If it doesn't work out with her, let me know :p hahaha your story was reminding me of my own that I posted on here.
    I think she definitely is interested in you in some way. She hangs out with you, "visits" you in the office, and interacts with you on social media just to name a few. Maybe she's gay and likes you or maybe she is just figuring this all out for the first time and just knows that she likes your company. It all seems very exciting anyways!

8. K2200

K2200 Member

I actually JUST read your thread.. it took me an entire day haha. Apparently the gym is the place to be.

Just want to mention, As a physio and trainer, and also being lesbiobvious, I've been on the brink of danger a few times when watching or taping players or assisting with stretches.. usually its comments like "i saw you watching her" or "i bet you liked that" after rubbing Icy Hot on our defense.. But Its my job, and is no way driven by my sexuality. In relation to your story, I understand how my actions in a similar setting could be misinterpreted.

Lo's been out of town so we haven't been connected for the passed week, however the other day I had an appointment that I'd told her about weeks ago - She text me that same day to ask how it went. Like.. how did you even remember? Its different for me to feel this cared for by a "friend", which makes me think something bigger is at play.

I have a friend that always says "assume gay until proven straight" - Although I think that advice should be used sparingly, especially in a weight room surrounded by sporty spices (zig-a-zig-ah)

I see some of the similarities in our stories - I'll let you know how it plays out ;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  9. littlenikki15

She seems way more into you than my "gym girl" does. She actually hangs out with you! lol mine was never part of my "team" though, technically had nothing to do with me, should be with her own clients and people and yet would always come hang out by me and talk to me. Strange hey haha

Even though it's hockey and mutual hockey friends (if you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends) that has brought us together, she loves basketball and it's the only sport she's ever played that's why you kind of reminded me of her as well.

She STILL will send me stuff on snapchat when I go a week or more without talking to her or sending her any snaps. I've actually quit going to the gym and have been really trying to distance myself from her cuz I am starting to realize it's an attention thing. She won that award that I was talking about in my last post on my story, asked me the day of if I knew anyone that wanted a ticket to the party because she had an extra one. Not sure if that was innocent in her part or if she was hinting at me to go. I just said nope. That night she sent me a picture of herself all done up, wearing a dress and everything with her award..... That was Monday. Didn't talk to her at all and then yesterday she sent me a random snap again, I didn't respond and today she sent one again of her cuddling a puppy... I'm a huge animal person and yesterday I posted a couple pics of my brother's cats and dog saying I was babysitting my nephews for the weekend. So she knows how to try get my attention or a response outta me.

Girls!
    Keep me updated on your situation because I think you have a way better chance and I am finding it exciting hahaha

K2200 and RLrose like this.
  10. RLrose

RLrose Member

Keep us posted with up to dates. Fun and exciting :)

K2200 likes this.
  11. K2200

K2200 Member

Will do, friend.

We still train during the summer, but Lo's been away cause technically this is off season for us, and i'll be away most of this month too so I know we're not going to get a chance to see each other much.. Although she's pretty active on my phone every couple of days, not every day. On Tuesday we were texting all night until it got too late. I'm trying to be more playful just to see how she responds. Key word is "trying".

For example, we were joking around about making room in the gym to learn Karate, and I was to physically move every piece of equipment for her... and i said, "anything for you" and she responded "that's what i was waiting to hear :)"

Like, to me, that's "kick you in the shin" kinda flirting...

littlenikki15 and RLrose like this.
  12. K2200

K2200 Member

Update. Like I said in the last post we've both been away this month and haven't seen eachother for quite a while. The nice thing is that she keeps in contact with me and asks me how things are going, but more excitingly asked me when Im coming home so we can make plans to see eachother. So next week we're going On a hike just the two of us and I'm thinking of asking her out, on an "official, no joking around this is a date" kinda date. That should give me my answer.

mariannek2u, littlenikki15 and Kaorin like this.
  13. littlenikki15

Soooooo????? lol

14. Eloise

Eloise Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, she likes you. So, ask her out and beat it back here to let us know how it goes.

15. K2200

K2200 Member

Yah I chickened out.. We've seen eachother a few times in the last two weeks but I haven't been able to pull the trigger.

I was at the gym two weeks ago before we had made any plans and we ended up bumping into one another. She joined me for my workout and we were catching up when she mentioned that some guy asked her out on a date for Tuesday evening. I just kind of smiled and nodded and she didn't take it any further, so we carried on. (Inside I was dying.. like damn someone beat me to it) Tuesday rolls around and I get a text from her asking if I'm free to do something. We ended up going on a long walk that night and texting that whole day.. I said to her "no date tonight?" And she said "No way, I have plans with you."

I'm just taking my time and being a big ol wimp

SummertimeSadness likes this.
  16. Canuck8881

Canuck8881 Well-Known Member

OMG seriously?!?! To me she set you up on that one. I have a date Tuesday and then she spends the time with you. She is trying to figure you out just like your trying to figure her out. Just as her out on a "date". Life is too short.

17. Kaorin

Kaorin Member

Sounds to me like she was trying to get a reaction from you by telling you about this "date".
    Pleeaase just ask her out. I'm dying here!

littlenikki15 and K2200 like this.
  18. Eloise

Eloise Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, she wanted you to express that you didn't want her to go out with someone else. Besides, just because some guy asked her doesn't mean she said yes.

littlenikki15 likes this.
  19. noedee

noedee Active Member

She probably wanted you to ask her if she was going to go on that date so she'd have a reason to tell you "no, I don't play for that team". Ask her out already!!!!

mariannek2u and littlenikki15 like this.
  20. littlenikki15

hahaha aw man. I'm dying like everyone else. She totally set you up for all kinds of chances.
    DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. lol :)

Kourtney and SummertimeSadness like this.