Looking for a fitness partner

Discussion in 'Hobbies, Health & Fitness, Sports' started by Jemstone, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Jemstone

Jemstone Active Member

I'm not sure if people check out this section of the forum, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

I'm not very happy with my own body and I have a few health issues that could be improved if I start living a healthier lifestyle. The only problem (well, besides loving food), is that I don't really have motivation or anyone to do this with. So if you want to transition to a healthier lifestyle and maybe want a fitness partner then please message me! I'd love the encouragement and to give encouragement back.

I'd also like to mention that I have PCOS and if there are any ladies out there that also have it and have found a good workout routine (and maybe even eating habits) that are good for women with PCOS I would love to hear some advice on that!

2. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

Hi :)
    congrats on deciding to start living healthier :) I would love to help you out with tips and exercise :)

First off, motivation only gets you so far. At some point it fades and what you need is determination, staying power and the awareness that it isn't short-term gains you want, so a fad diet will be just that, a fad.
    Sometimes it sucks working out (actually more times than not I find it sucks) but afterwards when you're all sweaty and exhausted and your arms are jelly it feels fantastic.
    Start small, pick something you like doing not something you think will get the greatest gains quicker. Running is awesome but it's not easy and if you hate it chances are you will find a reason not to do it.
    And food.....I love food...and restrictive diets suck (I have anaphylaxis, trust me it's not fun) so eat smaller amounts of the bad but don't deprive yourself totally. That's where binge-monsters get their power :)
    if you want I've got loads of tips and sneaky tricks I can help you out with :)

3. Jemstone

Jemstone Active Member

Thank you for the advice! If any of those tricks or tips are good for college students on a very tight budget I'd love to hear them. :)

4. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

I'd say pick one to start with. ..that is...focus on changing food habits or focus on starting exercise. Personally I started with the exercise cause 1. It's addictive so if u can stay at it until ur addicted, it becomes a really easy habit to maintain as u will find u 'need' it in ur daily life rather than 'want it' or 'should do it'. But expect pain at the start. Ur gonna have to embrace the pain/ come to terms with it or at least acknowledge that it's part of the process. I've been exercising consistantly for years, and I still push myself outside my comfort zone for at least 10% but anything up to 40% per cent of the workout. So mentally, adjustimg to that is a big one for newbies. Somehow new runners think they should just b able to do it. Noone can, not really. Work is required at any level, so accept that and don't decide ur crap and quit. Ur not crap. Ur normal.

Vote no 2. In favour of exercise first...it can make u mindful of what u eat. If u've slogged and sweated to loose those 500 calories, u may think twice about stuffing the chocolate bar in. So it causes a mental shift about food that makes it easier to succeed when you do tackle the food monster:)

If ur looking for cheap, running is ur man. Also biking if u have a bike. Walking/hiking is surprisingly successful in knocking the fat off, getting quicker and leaner results than running. Running is great for getting u fit, but is a tad slow on the weighloss side. If ur in school, do u have access to free clubs/ gym etc...? Some people need the motivation of other people, so have a look for local running groups/hiking clubs/or ur schools's resources. All usually free.

Hit me back with any questions. I'm obsessed with this kinda stuff.

Nancy and Spygirl like this.
  5. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Moses said it brilliantly. I should also add that there are some great online fitness communities. I am into cycling and have made many friends all over the world through a particular cycling community online. I also am working with a personal trainer out of New York in an online "group" setting. I don't know the people in the group personally but they're a great source of motivation.

Nancy and Moses like this.
  6. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

So...this is a foodie thing...But I've been on a pretty severe diet for health reasons for nearly a year now I guess. During that time, I gained a bit of awareness of what a greedy food monster I am, largely cause I had to observe what I do in order to stop it. So, about two weeks ago, I knocked my diet in the head...largely cause it wasn't achieving the desired results (although some aspects of it were great) and I was feeling really unwell with the last round of dietary restrictions I imposed. So I packed it in and decided to release the reins on the will power. And man I ate. All those things I had been craving. And in large quantities too. I was a total pig. I had to exercise like a fecker to maintain my weight and still i've probably put on some in the few weeks as I've been a savage. Largely, I notice I haven't a smidgen of will power when It comes to sweets/chocolate and the appetite for them is very difficult to sate.

I noticed my cheekbones fading into the background yesterday and decided I had to do something. So the aim is moderation. I would like to be able to eat nice stuff in moderation. Half a bar of chockie a day or something, without spending every minute of every day craving more. Normally the only way I can impose any boundaries on myself is to have no sweets at all. So there is no middle ground at the moment and I'm aiming to find it.

Current mission: I'm gonna do a day on/day off. The idea being to exercise my will power like a muscle. Relaxing and contracting it to strengthen my control over it and hopefully I'm hoping some form of brain transformation will also occur. Leastwise, If I observe my reaction I will learn something useful.. I'm on day two now. So far so good. I hope u don't mind me posting here, as to declare it will help me stick to it.

Spygirl and Emm like this.
  7. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Chucking in my 2 pence worth. I was once 50lbs over weight, a combination of not being able to exercise due to a back injury and just not being in emotionally stable place made me fat and miserable. I lost the weight slowly and steadily over a period of time. I started with small adjustments to my food intake, I stopped snacking on crap and my reduced the size of my meals. I started very gently with exercise, I walked, I bought a pedometer at first just to help me keep track. After time I would forget to wear it but I knew certain lengths of routes I would take. After time the weight fell off and I feel heaps better than I did when I was over-weight. I knew that I couldn't completely cut some things out, I love chocolate but I also knew that I had to see it differently, a little here and there. When I tried cutting it out completely the cravings sent me mad and led me to binging and feeling like all was lost. The secret is if you have a little set back like that, just know all is not lost, it's just a little bump along the way. The really annoying thing is losing weight takes so much longer than putting it on so it takes commitment, if you need to have a whinge or some advice, just post something here. I'm sure someone here could help shed some light on it. Good luck

Bluenote likes this.
  8. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

Really not trying to be "that girl who posts on everything" so sorry if you've all had enough but...
    Chocolate cravings do not stop. Ever. I have a crazy restrictive diet and I still crave chocolate 5 years after last eating it. And when I want it and I can't have it I binge on everything else out of sheer frustration, so I eat more calories than if I just ate some chocolate. Having said that, even with a restrictive diet it's easy to gain weight and hard to lose it. I used to be overweight too, then I was really underweight, and the hardest part of it has been not to freak out and sabotage myself when I gain a little. Food and I are not at all friends with each other so it's really hard to detach the emotions from it.
    Personally, I work out for the sole reason that I am a monster without it, I'm angry and frustrated and more emotional, I sleep worse and eat more and am not fun AT ALL.
    I don't know if it's the endorphin rush or if it's because for that hour I had no distractions or pressure and got to do something more fun than studying or work. And bribery works wonders, I have music I only listen to when I work out so if I buy new tunes I have to exercise to hear them :)

Nancy likes this.
  9. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

I suppose my issue is not weight really realistically as I'm a size 8 (6 Ozzie sizes). I will do what it takes exercise wise to maintain my figure as I'm vain. Haha

It's more the mental control. The fact that sweets 'own' me, What kinda crutch r they for me? Those kinda personal development questions. Also all the calories have me lying in bed prepped to run a mountain. I'm used to using up what I give my body.

I exercise for some of the reasons u mentioned too M, so there is that, but also to make a beautiful body. If I'm exercising at full pelt to maintain, rather than to sculp a better body. ..that seems a bit wasteful to me.

Today was my 'eat what u want day' and I was nowhere near as much a monster as usual, despite many cravings. Maybe this buzz is working.

10. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

What u did was amazing! U should write a motivation blog r something.

11. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

"Short fat and miserable?" Nah, I shall stick to being someone that pops up on advice like this, far easier. I have no secrets, I just did it slowly and the weight stayed off, occasionally I put a bit on so I make a bit more effort with exercise. It's just a case of sometime lethargy and indulgence win but it doesn't mean the beginning of the end just lumps and bumps in the road.

Bluenote, Spygirl and Moses like this.
  12. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

US 8? or Aussie 6? IDk which way the sizes go, all i know is if i have a 6-pack its going well, if i have a keg, it's not such a wonderful thing :)
    Yay you for taming the sweets monster (sugar owns me totally and completely, when i have rage issues i literally eat honey straight from the jar)

13. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

Gosh, I'm not a US 8! I'm a US 4. UK 8, Australian 6. International communication. Whew. Lol re u n tthe honey. No way I've got this beast tamed, haha, but I love ur optimism. Lol re the Keg.

Nancy likes this.
  14. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

Aha, US sizes 4 digits less! AUS 8 now I gotcha :) sorry if I insulted anyone :p
    yeah I now no longer buy honey....cannot be trusted with it :) and I'm never going to be desperate enough to eat sugar with a spoon (I say that now, give it 6 months and we'll see ha ha)

15. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

Aus 6. Uk 8, so US 2 then. Haha. I only know AUS sizes as I used to live there and uk as that's what we use here. No fecking notion re US, but ok. I googled. US 2!

16. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

Oh...Google giving all different kinds of answers. I give up. I dunno:-D

17. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

So...I put UK 8 into a convertor. It rekons US 4 and Australia 10! I was sure I went down one dress size in Oz but it must have been up one.
    This contradicts ur 4 digits less theory too tho...hmmm. We need an international travllor who has been everywhere to sort this out for us:)

So when u were Aus 6, u were like a pull through for a rifle. Jeepers.

Two other sites rekon AUS n UK r the same.

I will now put aside my fascination with this topic forever b4 u lose the will to live.

Nancy likes this.
  18. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

Yep, UK 8 is Australia 10 and US 6. When I was an aus 6 I was muscle, tendons and bones. I think I had about 12% body fat (I usually sit around 17-18%) and it wasn't pretty. Plus I'm tall with no butt so finding pants was a nightmare. How did we hijack this thread to be about size conversion??? And all she really wanted to know was some exercise tips :)

Nancy likes this.
  19. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

Dammit woman, u keep trying to fatten me up. Cough. ...ahem...none of them say US 6. They say 2 or 4, but I'm gonna move slowly away from the keyboard with no sudden movements as ur gonna think I'm a complete loon if I don't. I'll just have to accept the rubeneque gift of a size 6US that u are intent on bestowing upon me. :mad: haha. Did I mention I'm vain? ;)

Re the honey n such, probably sugar is ur problem same as me. Normally when I go off chocolate r u know, things that r obvious sweets such as ice cream and candy...I stock up on dried fruit or start eating jam or u know...loasda fruit n such. So my body never gets the chance to detox n recover from the cravings. Also, like u....I'll eat the cubards bare of healthy stuff in an effort to subdue my cravings. That's on the 'quit doing that' list.

And sure, we will tell her more bout exercise when she comes back on and asks us summit. :p

Emm and Nancy like this.
  20. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

I put on weight due to sports injuries -- so my goal is to lose those last few lbs. The problem with me is that I like wine a bit too much so that is my achilles heel (oh and savory/salty things versus sweets...I'll take pizza over chocolate any day). As a former certified personal trainer and one who also had an eating disorder (I publicly admit this if a shred of it helps someone to conquer that issue), the one thing kept being hammered into me by nutritionists/drs. etc. is that you cannot think of food in terms of a "diet"...if you keep thinking you're on a diet, you're doomed to failure.

You have to think of it as a lifestyle change. Stay good 80% of the time and you should be able to maintain your weight and/or lose weight depending on what your ultimate goal is. When you deny yourself something, i.e. chocolate, then you tend to overeat and binge. You can't really think of anything as forbidden...instead, practice moderation and it won't derail you. I, personally, like to have a cheat meal a week -- so it gives me something to look forward to and if I stay good most of the time, I feel no guilt when I've earned the reward. Also, with a combination of eating right and exercise, you'll find that your body doesn't want the crap it once did.

And, to make the size argument way more confusing....clothing sizes also change by manufacturer. A US size 8 isn't necessarily uniform across the board...that same size might feel different in clothing bought at Banana Republic versus JCrew versus another store.