It's tough being a 20 something femme in San ...

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by oliviav, Nov 10, 2014.

1. oliviav

oliviav New Member

Forget dating...it's hard to even meet other femmes my age for friendship. Most of my friends are straight girls whom I've known for years (and love to death!) but they don't understand the struggle. When I hang out with butch girls, conversations are awkward and we can't find much, if anything, in common. Anybody else out there have this problem?

2. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Re: It's tough being a 20 something femme in ...

I think you're focusing too much on labels....make friends with people who share common interests - not by how one defines herself, i.e. butch/femme (which in my view is an obsolete extreme view of our community). Just because someone may be a femme doesn't mean she has anything in common with the person you are. And perhaps, you might be trying too hard. Friendships and relationships need to evolve on their own.

As you get older, you'll eventually realize that if the only common thread in a friendship is the fact that you're both gay..then maybe there isn't much to the friendship at all.

3. sophie7

sophie7 New Member

Re: It's tough being a 20 something femme in ...

Hmm, I definitely understand your point. I've only ever been friends with gay guys and straight girls, never have I had any variety of lesbian friend and I sometimes think it'd be nice to be friends with someone who I can relate to in that way.