Is their significant other their problem?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Lifeisg00d, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Lifeisg00d

Lifeisg00d Member

In Imagine Me and You, the question of liking people in relationships is brought up... Cooper feels that "their partner is their problem"... Luce feels the opposite, "I think you don't mess with another couple, accept the fact that it can't happen and move on," which side do you agree with?

2. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

I'd be in the "never mess with couples" side. I think it's distasteful. If I made a move on a someone in a relationship and she leaves her partner, I wouldn't want to be with her. If she can do it to someone else what's to stop her from doing it to me? I also feel it's disrespectful to the gf/bf. I'd rather go for someone unattached or, IF (a rather unlikely if) I must, I'd wait for the couple to break up.

3. Maison Clicquot

Maison Clicquot Well-Known Member

invincible this " If she can do it to someone else what's to stop her from doing it to me?" I used to think the same way, but is wrong for me. If you compare yourself with that gf you will get nowhere. Is not like she's leaving her for a better version.
    ~ I'd take my chances, I don't steal someone's property, I steal something that didn't last in their relationship and I will make it better. Also, caring more about the future ex feelings than the one you want to be with, is not disrespectful, is just that you should put your feelings on the first place to win the person who will make you happy. You can't be blamed for being more twice amazing and able to make her happier too.
    So, on Cooper's side.

4. lorienczhiu

lorienczhiu Well-Known Member

I respect relationships; my goal is to not hurt people with my behavior, while staying honest to myself. Being the "other woman" is 100% guaranteed to hurt my flame's partner. And it will probably lead to heartbreak and confusion for my flame, too - cheating emotionally tears up a person. Why would I go down a road that will hurt someone who never did a thing to me, and lead to hurt for someone who I care about? If my interest is inescapable, I'll make it known and make it their move.

(Also, as someone in a relationship: nothing is more annoying than women who think they're above the boundaries and commitments we've made. It's insulting and frustrating to have a pursuer who thinks their passing crush is more significant than our years of history, shared passion, and mutual respect.)

5. RVT

RVT Well-Known Member

I don't really care if someone is in a relationship or not if I /really/ like someone. I would not help that person cheat on their partner - I find cheating repulsive - but I would make it quite clear I was interested and wanted more. In my opinion, my penchant can make their own decision as to which route to take; I'm not responsible for the choices they make.

My interest would really have to beyond control, however. I wouldn't make any declarations if I just had a bit of a crush on that person. That would not be fair to anyone.