is the gay community really open minded?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by stupidturtle12, Aug 5, 2013.

1. stupidturtle12

Hi, so I want to ask whether you guys think that the gay community is really more open minded than everyone else. I know we have been through what others have not but in my opinion, I don't think the gay community is any more accepting than straight people. Maybe it's because I don't really fit into the gay community. I find that they aren't very accepting of shy, awkward, just not mainstream types. they also aren't very patient with people who are just not too social. I don't know if they think I'm faking my gayness or what but I feel more comfortable being friends with straight people or people. ironically, they seem more chill about accepting me for who I am, even my sexuality. I know not every gay person is like this but the ones I've met are like this.

what do you guys think? any similar experiences? I'm not looking for an argument here.

2. basketball lova

I have to agree with you. At the end of the day, gay people ARE still people so certain societal norms will still happen such as cliques. I don't know, maybe because gay people feel ostracized by mainstream society, some feel anyone new has to have the battle scars to be accepted. Also, shy/introverted persons usually have difficulties being accepted, whether gay or straight.

3. Garrus

Garrus Well-Known Member

Although there are those who struggle with some stuff around the society, they will never learn to be less ignorant on the other side. It's like they want to be accepted for that reason, but they will not do the same with the others. Sexual orientation it has nothing to do with intelligence, it can bring some obstacles, different moral values, views, but everything it depends only on each individual experience in life, mentality, basically the IQ is the essence.

4. Shannon1981

Shannon1981 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on who you ask. After all, LGBT people are people, too. We are all individuals. We have an orientation and the struggles that come along with that in common, but that is it.