Is she avoiding me because she's grossed out?

Discussion in 'Does She Like Me?' started by becausepie, Jul 8, 2019.

1. becausepie

becausepie New Member

So.. I had been crushing on this girl at the gym for two years, and I've seen her at the gym nearly every day for those two years. We're on each others' radar because of our similarities - we' both rarely miss a day, both have the same cardio routine, are skinny tomboyish asians, and honestly, I don't have a gaydar, but when I see another girl that dresses like me, I do think to myself: 'gay?' Anwyays, crushing on her has been stunting my dating life because I just think about her all the time, and I'm tired of letting my imagination run wile. So I introduced myself one day, and it was really awkward. She said she saw me there all the time. I talked to her again the week after. Then we said hi a few times when we crossed paths. But I havent talked to her since (the last convo was four weeks ago, and our schedules havent really matched and I didnt want to force another 'meeting' of coincidentally leaving at the exact same time again. I thought things were going fine because she'd smile and say hi, but lately, she's been avoiding me... but still looking at me every now and then. I feel like she's more cognizant of me now.. but not in a good way.

Anwyays, here's my evidence:

1. She walked by and suddenly did like, a look back or a double take one day when I was working out (doing the exact same routine as I always do).
    2. There are days it's impossible to get a stairmill at the gym - she arrived a little late and couldnt get one, I arrived earlier so I did. There's always the backup of using an elliptical instead, which she went for, and has always gone for even if the machines next to me are open, On the second day in a row this happened, coincidentally both stairmills beside me opened up. I saw her debate. Then reason won out, I thought, and she went within ten feet of my machines... one got taken, the other is free, and then she just turned around and left. Wtf. Fine, I will also choose another piece of equipment rather than work out next to her too, but I sweat a TON and would rather not be seen. She sweats too, but she still looks amazing. Idk what she has to be self conscious of. Though.. even before I said Hi to her, she would purposefully stop working out beside me and choose a different machine after.. disappearing momentarily to wherever for whatever.
    3. Lately she's been avoiding me in the locker room. My section is closest to the rest rooms and showers and hers is one over, in the middle. If I'm drinking water she'll just grab her bottle and go, which she's never done before. If I'm changing, she'll change her route to the showers.

Why is she acting like this? Am I overthinking, or is this real and is it because she figured out my friendly hello was actually a gay hello? I dont know what to do, but at this point if I make her so uncomfortable maybe I should change my membership to another location?

2. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

I think you have done everything you could to be friendly. I know it is a crush but it is all external. You don't know what she is really like and seems like you are not missing anything from the way she was with you.

If you want to go to a different gym just because this is not fun for you then ok, do that. But if I were you, I would take the hint that she is not in a social mood while working out and move on. I would not move to another gym if I liked this one. I would just treat myself to a new hairdo and outfit, put on a headset and let it roll off my back. One day, you might show up working out with a girlfriend and continue to ignore her - but with reinforcement.

3. becausepie

becausepie New Member

Hey... thank you. I was initially afraid to read this, but you are presenting this third option that I forgot existed - it’s not about me, it’s not about like or not like, it could just be Not In The Mood (chalks up to Not Like, but that’s ok). So thanks. I particularly liked the new ‘do advice. I’m going to move on, I have a life to live :)

greylin likes this.
  4. Writer23

Writer23 Active Member

It is certainly not a sweat thing because you are both in a gym and it would be ludicrous for her to be grossed out by someone sweating in a gym. She could be straight and completely freaked out because she realized that your interest in her is romantic. Or she is attracted to you, shy, and so awkward that she distance her-self from you. I say this because of her incessant need to glace at you every so often. Or, and I am well aware that we are on the third point here, she could be attracted to you, in a relationship, and just rather not go there.

In the end, what you know with absolute certitude is that she does not want to talk or interact with you. That is the paramount thing, so give her that, keep your distance and go about your day. With kindness, act is if she does not exist. If something materialize from this, leave it up to her to take that step. And by all means, do not leave your gym…because a good gym is hard to find.

greylin likes this.