In your experience, what does staring usually...

Discussion in 'Does She Like Me?' started by Love*Cali, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Love*Cali

Love*Cali Well-Known Member

It's a girl I stopped talking to on a personal level quite a while ago but who acts like she wants to be friends again. It's either while I'm talking with other coworkers (she just stood those last few times alone from across the room and watched even after I looked over and noticed) or when I just look up while in passing. I can't read it at all. Is it likely she's just wondering what's going on or that she knows I might like her? Something other?

Opinions y'all. Thanks.

2. Eva Mac

Eva Mac Well-Known Member

Re: In your experience, what does staring usu...

I don't know, starers are strange. I had a starer a while back. I mean a part of you thinks: she must like me, otherwise what's all the staring about. But ultimately you just never know what's going on in a persons head until it's revealed. Personally I can't see many other reasons a grown woman stares at another woman, but what I found confusing about my starer was, what did she expect me to do about it? Walk over and say "Hello, I notice you've been staring at me a lot, may I inquire as to why?" Then there's always the danger she'll say "I was going to ask you the same question, I've only been looking at you because you've been looking at me!"

The point is if you like someone, you notice a lot more about them than other people, also you think about them a lot more, so you look at them a lot more, which probably causes them to look back. Could this be the case?

Or maybe she does like you, or maybe she is just wondering why you've stopped talking to her, it's almost impossible to say.

3. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Next time you catch her staring, smile and acknowledge her, break down the silent barriers.

4. Love*Cali

Nancy, do you think she's just doing it because she wants to be friends? Maybe expecting I will say something in passing?

Could it be at all possible she's doing it because she knows I have a bit of a crush? Or would she not likely act so friendly?...

Eva, I just have a hard time concluding she's interested. I guess it's always possible, but...

The staring only occurs in those two situations. While talking with others and in passing she'll be looking at me. When I was talking with others once, I did notice her as she walked into the room and she did stop and just watch us from there on her spot on the stairs. I double-glanced back. Just a few moments later, she stood alone elsewhere, and just continued staring for what seemed like a good couple minutes. Maybe she thought I was talking about her. I walked back toward her to get to another area and she still stood facing and staring. I didn't see if she was looking at me or at them because I was intentionally looking elsewhere as I walked. Just as I passed by, I looked up at her and made eye contact - she'd been looking. Her expression was neutral this time; I couldn't tell what it was. I kept walking.

5. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Before I start can I just explain I'm talking from my experience. I've found that starers are often shy/introverts and struggle in making a first move. I'm not saying she's besotted it could be she wants to be friends but how will you know if you stay quiet?

6. Love*Cali

You're right. I'll gradually talk to her more. She is probably thinking about trying to be friends.

7. Eva Mac

Eva Mac Well-Known Member

I agree with Nancy, you'll never know until you break the ice.

8. Suht

Suht Member

hey. I had a similar kind of experience. I met some new friends, both female, and one of them was super intense. for example, when you were talking she would stare at you and wouldn't look away after you stopped talking. it made me kind of uncomfortable, because I didn't really know what it was all about. she was also a very 'touchy' person, other people noticed it as well and asked if she was into women. she had told me that she had slept with women before, but not had a relationship with them.

in this case i was just looking for friendship and was hoping she didn't say anything or declare her undying love for me cos it would have been totes awks...turns out i just have a huge ego. she was seeing a guy already and met him on a scrabble app. who said romance is dead?! anywayysss just trying to tell you my wee story and in my 'experience' (or lack of...) some people just stare, they don't even realise they are doing it. i spoke to her friends after i found out about scrabble guy and they confirmed that she does like a good ol' stare every now and again. i think all the above advice is pretty solid, first hurdle a conversation and then a potential staring competition at work?? :shock: I jest, good luck!!

9. Pi3

Pi3 Well-Known Member

For myself, I like to study people or objects that are interesting and I hope you won't think I am a stalker or something. Sometimes I like to make a sketch of them and it happens a lot with my lecturers :D. Agree with others, that staring may not mean anything. just need to ask her to know for sure :D.