I moved out. Does our relationship stand a chance?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Supposedly interesting, May 17, 2015.

1. Supposedly interesting

I will try to keep this as short as possible.

My girlfriend left me about two months ago now, but after one month, following a week where I completely shut her off and didn't talk to her or replied to any of her messages, she suddenly wanted med back. Or she wanted us to try to make it work again.
    I moved out of our home and rented a room at a friends house and my girlfriend helped me move my stuff.
    Now, we have been trying to see, if the relationship can work, if we don't live together and we give each other space and time to do the things we want to, however, my question for you guys is:

Do you think it's possible for a couple, who have been living together for a little over a year to move apart and that the relationship can still work?

2. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Well, it depends. What was the reason for the break up in the first place? If those issues aren't sorted then the relationship will not work. You can't break up, then get back together and sweep things under the rug as if they never existed. You need to address those problems -- you need to address what caused the break up to happen. Because these problems won't go away on their own. If the problems are based on two entirely different personalities, then you've got a rough road ahead -- you can't change who you are just to please someone else.

Also -- your girlfriend left you -- what makes you think she won't do it again if things get tough? Why does she want you back after two months? Is she lonely...is she romanticizing the good stuff about your relationship and forgetting the bad? After all, sometimes we tend to look at past relationships through rose-colored glasses.

Sorry - that I don't have a more concrete answer for you -- but if the problems are fixable, then you might have a chance at making the relationship work.

lorienczhiu, greylin and Bluenote like this.