I accidentally outed myself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out' started by Izzy0000, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Izzy0000

Izzy0000 Member

There is swearing, just a warning.

I've been slowly coming to terms with being Bisexual (I think? Basically girls are the bomb. That much I am sure of.) I've slowly kind of been coming out (well, confusing-out really) to various persons. Funnily enough my male friends are the ones I'm most comfortable talking to about it. They've been super-supportive and pretty empowering actually. Their acceptance has really helped my mood and confidence about the whole thing.
    But for some reason I'm still nervous (SCARED) as heck to tell my girl-friends. Or my family. Perhaps because I've known them longer? Then this happened:
    I'd just gotten home from a night out (my 'out' to guy-friend night out), still a bit tipsy, and have this text conversation with a friend...Kelly we'll call her:

Me: Yeah, how was the night for you? Good?

Kelly: Yeah it was!! I'm glad you finally came out

Now, of course my brain has been turning over and replaying my coming-out conversations I had this same night with a different friend. It's all I can think about. Do I assume she means 'I'm glad you came to drink with us'? No. I'm thinking 'I came out to Kelly? Finally? She had a suspicion all along?' I reply with:

Me: Oh f*ck, did I?
    Me: Wait.
    Me: Shit.

Realisation sets in.

Me: You meant a different coming out.

Many texts ensue, all from my side, she's taking way too long to respond. I write that I hope she hasn't hurt herself since she's taking forever. She replies 'No I'm fine! :) and yeah the night was good!'
    Did she actually miss what I said? Miss my slip up? Or is she politely ignoring it? I haven't seen her yet and don't know what to expect...she doesn't address my, well, you know. Or is it not as clear as I think it is?

I'm worried and I don't know what to expect.

2. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

It seems pretty clear to me. But people write / read weird shit when they are drunk.

If she freaks out, she's not really your friend. I know you want to know for sure, but don't stalk her. Try and give a little time for her response.

And drinking and texting is usually a bad idea.

3. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

I agree. No drinking and texting, just like no drinking and driving!

Don't worry too much... and it's ok to be who you are even if it's an accidental slip up. If they don't accept you for who you are, then they're not really your true friends.

4. CherryBerry

CherryBerry Member

She might think you were making a joke? I would be thinking "Coming out! That's funny. Or... does she mean..... hmmm.....?? Nah! Should I ask her? No.... I will wait for her to bring it up again".

5. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

I think the danger with this is you'll become a little obsessed with the what if scenarios. Since you've already accidentally slipped up, why not just take the advantage of the situation and be honest.

Spygirl and Nancy like this.
  6. beaaa

beaaa New Member

This is a funny coming out story :D ask her, she probably already understood and if she didnt she will support you because she's your friend ;)