How to approach someone?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Gentry, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Gentry

Gentry Active Member

Hi!

It's been a while since I last posted here. Many good choices and improvements i made in the past year were done with your help. Thank you very much!

I'd like to ask for advice on how to approach a girl i have a crush on for years. I never actually met her in person. But we are friends on facebook. I'm not into her but I do admire her so much. I found out about her through my previous colleague, she's a little bit famous on tumblr and the "nerdfighters" because she creates awesome typography for well-known titles and YA books. 3 years ago, I asked my colleague to ask her if I can add her on fb. She was happy about it and accepted me. I thanked her and she replied welcome. That's our first and last conversation. I ALWAYS like her status updates. She sometimes like mine. She seems kind, funny and smart in my observation. My friend said she never had a boyfriend before. She's very introverted and works from home too. Sooo. Yeah. That's all the info i can give for now =)

I also want to ask if there is a way to find out if a (feminine) girl is a lesbian/bi? Sometimes I want to ask a girl her number but I worry that she might be straight

Thank you very much! Xx

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

Crushing on an awesome girl is fun. Is it your New Year's resolution to do something about it? ;) Are you in the same city? Is it feasible to meet for a cup of coffee? Why would you worry that she is straight? If she is then it would just be a "no" or are you afraid of other things other than rejection, like your safety and/or reputation? Barring that and if it is something that you just want to know, I think it is okay to say, "I like your work online and I wonder if I can get to know you a bit better in irl?" Or if you don't want to be so direct, you can find a topic both of you are passionate about and you can get a conversation going there.

Sometimes, once you start talking to a person, she might not be that crush you want anyway. And if she rejects you on a friendly ask, then it is time to move on.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    rainydaze and wonderlust like this.
  3. Gentry

Gentry Active Member

Haha. I guess I think I'm ready to move on with a new girl. I actually like another girl but she's already taken so. Yes she lives in the same city. :) okay I will send that message. Though I think it's a huge step. I have never asked a girl, who isn't already my grlfriend, out in my entire life. I guess I'm afraid of rejection. Thanks greylin!

rainydaze likes this.
  4. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

Good luck, Gentry! And hey, you are good people, she's a lucky gal. :)

rainydaze and Bluenote like this.