How long should I wait

Discussion in 'Advice (Dear AE...)' started by Emme_IP625, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Emme_IP625

Emme_IP625 Well-Known Member

So, I met this girl online and we talked for a week online then 2 weeks offline before we finally went out on our first date. It was amazing and we hit it off great, she even asked me to come over and hangout at her place after. Since then we've been going out and staying in and talking almost everyday for 2 months. Throughout this time though she has cited how other relationships she's had didn't work because the person was too clingy or moved too fast. I really really like her being around her, listening to her speak, watching her fall asleep, when she laughs so sweetly and cries so openly I just really really like her and I know she likes me a lot too ( she tells me as much regularly). I want to ask her to be my girlfriend but i don't know if I should go for it now or wait some arbitrary months later...my friends told me to give it 6 months which i thought was reasonable until people were telling me they started dating after 1. I just don't know what to do.

2. lynds126

lynds126 Well-Known Member

Every relationship is different. So I wouldn't worry about what other people are doing.

Because she told you already that she wants to take it slow, I would give her her time/space. Has she made any hints or whatever about possibly taking it to the next level?? It never hurts to ask casually, a simple "So what would you think if I introduced you as my gf" or something less cheesy x3 Just something that will give you an answer.

Good luck!!!

3. Emme_IP625

I'm terrible at taking hints so i think i'll casually ask and see what she says.

:D Thanks A lot

4. MeltingCharcoals

MeltingCharcoals Active Member

Whoa! Slow down there...Basing from your story this girl of yours is genuinely happy with your current situation. If she's not ready but agreed to your porposal cause she doesn't want to lose you, the ship may not sail smooth. The feeling is overwhelming when you're having a grand time with someone. But a few months is not enough to completely understand her. I have many relationhips that I wished I took slower. It's always better to know someone completely before getting in a very serious level.

5. Emme_IP625

@meltingcharcoals but how do you know when you know someone completely, I'm not even sure I completely know myself, shouldn't you always being getting to know the person even when you're in a relationship? Idk it's very annoying to have to think about this kind of stuff I might just have to be single forever lol

6. Eva Mac

Eva Mac Well-Known Member

I think this is about instinct. There is no right or wrong answer, so you can only rely on your own instinct here. Do you get the feeling it might scare her off if you make the wrong move? If that's the case it might be better if you waited. Do you get the feeling she might be waiting for you to make a move? Then maybe go ahead and ask her. On the other hand why the hell am I offering advice, I am rubbish at knowing if someone likes me, they practically have to hit me over the head with an "I'm into you" sign. So yeah sorry, what am I doing in here?