Hi from various places in Europe

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Gyldenragg, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Gyldenragg

Gyldenragg Well-Known Member

A very random thought led me back here after a few years of completely abandoning this site. I used to love this place back when I was still watching Sarah and Lori reviewing various LGBT films and TV-shows, and all the great people I met through this site. Some I'm even still in touch with (and one I'm even planning on catching up with this weekend!). So, although a lot has changed, I hope some of that community spirit has still survived :)

As for myself... I'm a travel hungry Norwegian (okay, technically half Norwegian/half Bulgarian) who studied in England and then somehow ended up in the Netherlands where I'm currently working. And if there is one thing I know for sure, it's that there will definitely be more countries added to that list in the years to come.

Would be cool to get to know the 'new gang' at AE so feel free to drop me a message - I'm open for anything between a simple 'hi' to a novel length description of your cat's craziest antics!

2. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Well-Known Member

So Norweigan. Did you grow up in Norway or your parent is just from there. Planning to go to Norway this year. Tromso to be exact. Gotta have to try to chase the northern lights before i get too old to do it. So where in netherlands do you work? Went to amsterdam last yr. for a short vacay. Nice country though.

Rizzles123 likes this.
  3. Gyldenragg

Yup, born and bred! My dad is of old Viking DNA while my mom is bringing the Bulgarian spice to the mix, but I've lived in Norway all my life up until university time.

Tromsø, that's so cool! I really want to run the Midnight Sun Marathon that they have up there! When are you planning on going there? I guess winter time if you're aiming for some spectacular northern lights?
    (I've never even seen it myself... even went to the north of Finland one winter, convinced that I would finally see the northern lights. Don't you think it was cloudy for my entire stay there? Haha, guess I just need to try again!).

Netherlands is pretty cool yeah! Small country but since it's so well connected with the rest of Europe it makes it super easy to travel around. I both work and live in Rotterdam at the moment. It's perfect, I avoid the commuting every day yet I can pop over to A'dam whenever I want.
    Did you visit any other cities here? Utrecht and Maastricht are probably among my favorite Dutch cities :) So if you're planning a trip back any time soon I'd recommend you check them out.

So where in the world are you from then? Any cool travel destinations you'd recommend from a local pov?

Rizzles123 likes this.
  4. Jane Doe

Me and my friends plan to go late November. Going back to Prague first to check out the Trancemission Festival then after fly to Norway.

Went to Volendam and Zaandam. Spent a day for each. Went cheese and herring tasting. LOL. I cant do it again - the herring eating. But it was fun. Mostly I was just in Amsterdam. I did want to go to Rotterdam and the Anne Frank Museum (the queue was insane!) I would probably go back to The Netherlands and stay longer. Its a very beautiful country. Its just funny how the tour guide said that those who have never left the country havent seen a mountain/hill in person. Haha.

I am in Dubai. By the way. I have been in few countries in Asia as I am Asian. Singapore is a nice country too. But you should come here in Dubai. I have met a lot of tourists here (UK and US) and they have said it is the most modern city they have seen. So it may be good also to check Dubai out before it becomes not too modern. Lol. You can go dessert safari and do other stuff as well.

5. hum_dinger

hum_dinger Well-Known Member

Hi Gyldenragg! I have also recently come back after a few years away from the site. How are you finding it?

Where abouts in England did you stay when you were studying here?

I have also wanted to go to Norway. I am very hungry to travel more. It's something I want to achieve more in the next few years. I want to see as much of Europe as I can!

6. Gyldenragg

Nice! It sounds like you'll have a great trip around Europe! I hope you'll enjoy your Norwegian experience, going in November is pretty uncertain in terms of what kind of weather to expect so I have my fingers crossed for you that you get the proper, nice winter experience with lots of snow, frosty cold (trust me, it's better than the humid, windy cold I'm experiencing here atm) and some northern lights ;)

Ahaha! The herring! You're braver than I am! Although I love trying new stuff wherever I travel and am no stranger to trying weird, local delicacies even I couldn't stomach the thought (or sight) of eating the raw herring and the raw onions like they do here. I'll stick to the stroopwafel and the gouda cheese!

There are so many places in Asia I'd love to visit. I've even lost count. Japan is probably at the very top, but I'm also considering doing the Trans-Mongolian some time soon and traveling around a bit. Dubai would be absolutely amazing as well, I have a few friends from there who have told me so much about it!

7. Gyldenragg

You know, it's strange coming back (as I'm sure you've found as well). I've forgotten what it looked like before tbh, but I do miss some ofthe vibrancy from before. There used to be way more people using the forums and I obviously miss seeing some of them around here. (Also very curious about how they're doing since there were some very interesting individuals on here!). But I also think that spirit has remained and I can see it's picking up again. I love talking with people here :) What do you think, having seen both the 'before' and the 'after'?

I studied in Lancaster. So north-west, about an hour away from Manchester :) Loved my time in the UK, but I was also happy to try another country after three years there. Now I'm feeling the itching to go somewhere else though ;p I do still have friends who are finishing up their studies there, so it would be nice to go back though. You live in Manchester right? Are you/did you study there?

Where do you want to travel? I feel like now that I moved to such a central location in Europe I should be making the most of it so I've been to quite a few countries closeby already. I think last year (2015) I was in 11 countries in total. Not sure if I can beat that this year but I can at least try ;)

8. hum_dinger

When I was last on here I don't think I used it half as much as I am now so I can't really remember the differences too much, although I agree with what everyone else has said about the their being less forums and I do seem to remember it being busier. Now when I come online some times I'm the only member online.

Ok, yeah Lancaster isn't too far away from me. I actually moved to Manchester to be with my girlfriend. I'm originally from Yorkshire. I never went to uni, I've always worked since I was 16.

Wow 11 Countries is very impressive! I don't think I've even been to 11 Countries in my lifetime let alone a year. I would love to see more of Europe but especially all of the Nordick Countries, Sweden, Switzerland, Finland, Norway of course but I'd love to see Iceland, Australia, New Zealand and Canda most of all

9. Gyldenragg

Oooh Yorkshire! Lancashire's great rivals! ;) There is this annual sports competition for about a week between Lancaster Uni and Uni of York - it's a lot of fun.
    So are you still with this girlfriend? How is it living in Manchester? Oh, and what do you do/work with? :)

Those are all awesome travel destinations, I hope you manage to see them all! I'm in the process of figuring out where to go for this year at the moment... So many options! Do you have a specific trip planned yet to any of those, or not yet?

10. hum_dinger

Haha yes there can be some rivalry, the war of the roses and all that. Mainly people in Manchester just think I'm a bit posh (I'm not at all, never had money but I just have a nice accent)

Yes we are still together but I want to move back to Harrogate soon I think. I miss home a lot

I currently work in the IT department of a hospital, it's not a very exciting job but it pays my bills. I want to own my own business, that's my ultimate goal.

What are you doing right now? Are you working?

I don't have any planned holidays this year although I do want to go away as I haven't been abroad for nearly 6 years!

11. Gyldenragg

They're just jealous haha! No offense to anyone from up there but there are certainly nicer accents ;)

Do you think she'd move with you then? And what kind of business would you want to start up? I think it's so cool when people really take the plunge and follow their dreams :) One of my colleagues is doing that just now and I can see myself potentially follow a similar trajectory in a few years as well..

Yeah, I'm working in marketing in a pretty big international company here in the Netherlands. Very random how I ended up here to be honest... But that's how I roll these days. Go with the flow and take whatever opportunities come my way, you never know what might await around the next corner!

Wow, six years! Yup, definitely time to fly off to some new adventures then ;)

So got any plans for the weekend?

12. hum_dinger

I don't think she would, we'll have to see how things go

I want to buy a food van and tour the summer festivals initially but I have ideas for other businesses. I keep coming up with things and then changing my mind or realising they're are not as doable as I originally thought.

This weeked I am going to see my Dad, his Wife and my Brothers and Sister. It was my sisters 7th birthday on Wednesday so I have made her a dinosaur cake as she is a bit of a tomboy and likes dinosaurs. She is such a mini me it's absurd!

Have you got any plans for the weekend?

13. Gyldenragg

Mmmm...food trucks! I love food (truck) festivals :) I've wanted to go to Portland for a while now purely because of the massive food truck culture I hear they have there. I'd probably come back twice as big ;p No but seriously, I think that sounds like a great idea. In Copenhagen they even have this indoor food truck area so I think it's open all year long. All kinds of international deliciousness.

A dinosaur cake sounds impressive, I'm sure she'll be ecstatic :) So do you guys get along well despite the age gap? I guess it's almost like a half sister/half parent kind of dynamic? That's pretty much what I have with my bro - and who knows, maybe a big reason why our relationship is so good.

There's an art festival this weekend so I'm checking that out tomorrow with my flatmates. And on Sunday we're having some friends over for a relaxed brunch/lunch and a film probably.

14. hum_dinger

Ooh that sounds interesting, I might have to check out this year round indoor food truck thing in Copenhagen!

Yeah I love her, I only had brothers until she came along when I was 19 so I was very excited to have a sister finally. Luckily she's not a brat, she is exactly the same as I was at that age. I do feel that sister/mother thing you mentioned which is enevitale I suppose considering I am old enough to be her mum. You mentioned you had a younger brother. How much younger is he?

Your weekend plans sound fab! What film do you reckon you'll be watching?

15. Rizzles123

Rizzles123 Member

Hi there. Tromsoe is a beautiful city, I know it pretty well. Alot of people travel here to see the Northern lights(Aurora Borealis). I hope you get to see it, sometimes it is way to clowdy to see anything.

Jane Doe likes this.
  16. Rizzles123

Rizzles123 Member

Hi. Nice to see other Scandinavians around here. :)

17. Jane Doe

Hey. Yes i heard its a beautiful place. Hopefully we get to see the northern lights by then. Cant wait. Ill put kygo on my playlist when i go there. ;)

Rizzles123 likes this.