Hi from Switzerland!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kweso, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Kweso

Kweso Member

Hello! New to the site, and this country, and to finding out that I am actually into women :D, so trying to find my way around it all! Thought this might be a good place to start :)

Anetra likes this.
  2. XsouPhillipes

XsouPhillipes New Member

Hey Kweso,

Welcome. ;)

- Xso -

3. Gyldenragg

Gyldenragg Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! :) So where are you from, since you're new to Switzerland?

4. Kweso

Kweso Member

Thanks! I moved here from Amsterdam :) Quite a difference, but it is great here so far!

5. Gyldenragg

Does that mean you're Dutch then? Funny, I'm actually living in the Netherlands atm! :)

6. Kweso

Kweso Member

really? haha what a coincidence! Where in Holland are you? I was born there, moved to the US for a while with my parents, and then moved back for 5 years before moving here.
    How are you liking it? Spreek je al nederlands? :p

7. Gyldenragg

I both work and live in R'dam at the moment. Where in the country are you from? :)
    And where did you live in the US?

Hahaha I don't actually speak it, but I do understand the majority both written and in conversations because it's quite similar to Norwegian (actually like a hybrid between English and the Nordics' languages/Germanic). On a (barely) related note though, the first word I remember really picking up here was 'kip'. Not sure what that says about me ;p But my favorite is probably 'echt' because I'm constantly making fun of my Dutch friends/colleagues saying it all the time. Eeeeecht?! Hahaha

8. Kweso

Kweso Member

Cool :) I was born in Rotterdam, but spent the last 5 years in Amsterdam - I have to say I am more of an Amsterdam fan :p Where are you working?
    In the US I lived in Florida.
    Did you move to NL from Norway then? I have to say, I have a few Norwegian friends but I don't think I follow along in their Norwegian conversations like you are in dutch :p
    If we are making first word confessions, one of my first words was 'eten' -- so we may be on the same wavelength there :p And very guilty of using eeeeecht?! haha
    Hope you are getting to explore a bit around the rest of Holland :) I am definitely missing it! How long are you staying?

9. Gyldenragg

Haha so I'm on your home turf then! Yeah, there's always a bit of a debate of which city is best. Since I work in Rdam I decided to find a place here, but it's super easy to travel to A'dam or any of the other places so it's not too bad ;p (I had this full week training/workshop through my work at one of the hotels in Rdam just now - even though I live in the city they still booked us all in there - and it's such a strange feeling coming out of there today because it feels like I have lived in this bubble inside of the city for months, but at the same time also feels like we just arrived. So it was almost like re-discovering the city on my way home now).
    I really like Utrecht and Maastricht as other places though. I'm thinking of seeing a bit more of the Netherlands over easter since I'll be staying here then. Any recommendations for cities or places to check out? :)

I actually lived in England for three years before moving to NL since I studied there, then got an internship here which later got me a job. So been here for a year and a half now, but as for how long I'll be staying....who knows. I like travelling and moving around ;)

How come you lived in Florida if you don't mind me asking? How did you find it? And what are you doing in Switzerland? :)

Ahaha, kip and eten....yup, total foodies! You know, there is this street here called Pannekoekstraat. How cute is that?? Hahaha

10. Kweso

Kweso Member

Thats the great thing about Holland, its nice and small so you can see so many different parts :) And public transport is great there. Wow sounds like an intense week! I hope it was interesting! I know the feeling of the hotel bubble.. The first breath of fresh air is the best feeling :D What kind of work do you do? Yes, the perfect weekend to go exploring! I would go check out some of the nature areas too, they are really cool! Or for cities - Alkmaar is great, and if you have a lot of time, the beach is not far from there 'om even uit te waaien' haha. But there are so many great little towns, I am sure anywhere you end up will be great.
    I'm actually coming for easter weekend too! Can't wait!!
    Wow, thats great that you move around a lot too :D It's an exciting life! How did you like england?
    I moved to Fl with my parents (work of course). It was ok, fine for growing up, but I am definitely a european girl - I don't belong there :p At least not in the south haha. But I still like to visit my parents there! A great break from the cold.
    Now I am in Switzerland for an internship, but going to stick around for my PhD I think :) I really like it here. The nature is amazing! and the city is starting to grow on me too :D
    Haha I think all duchies love to eat, so you are definitely in the right place!
    Not sure how much time I will have free, but otherwise we should meet up for coffee when I am in Nl? :)

11. Gyldenragg

I agree! I find it so funny when some of my Dutch friends 'complain' that it takes them so long to get to another city here, because at the end of the day the country is so tiny that nothing is really that far away. Then again, it's all about perspective.

I work in marketing basically (at what point can you really call yourself a marketer? Still feels too weird for me) - you might guess the company having close knowledge of NL/Rotterdam ;p
    And yourself? What kind of internship are you doing? And what's your PhD about?

It certainly is an exciting life! Every new place brings something novel, always interesting people to meet and you always end up leaving a piece of yourself behind. I'm sure you have a very similar experience having lived/living abroad as well. England was great although I remember after three years I was definitely itching to go somewhere else. Looking back there are definitely things I greatly appreciated, as well as some things I could easily do without. The tea culture and politeness certainly rubs off though haha! For a long while after I moved away I'd apologize if people bumped into me, not even necessarily the other way around (I had to mentally slap myself when I realized what I was doing). Thanking the bus driver is a cute habit though - definitely don't see that in Norway...
    I can totally understand the whole US vs Europe thing. It's great going out there and, although I haven't been around much yet in the US, from my experiences people are incredibly open and approachable there. At least from my 'Nordics standard' (as if that's saying something, eh? ;) ). But at the same time there's something quite unique about Europe and being born and raised here I don't think we'll ever be able to shake it off :) How's Switzerland though? I'm quite curious about the place as I haven't been there yet.

Alkmaar looks super cosy btw! Definitely on my list for places to check out now! I'm considering Haarlem as well, but I'm not really planning too much at this point. I'll take things as they come. Speaking of beaches I might go to Scheveningen and try to get some life in my power kite though. Haven't really had much opportunity to use it since I got it end of last year...
    Coffee sounds great! How long are you staying in NL? We can probably connect over PM to figure it out :)