Hey :)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by aussie_gabby, Mar 21, 2020.

1. aussie_gabby

aussie_gabby Well-Known Member

Hey all,

It’s been a while since ive been on here.

I don’t know if this is the exact place to put this thread but what the hell.

I’m sure everyone’s been affected by the c-bomb virus. Currently I’ve been lucky to be able to work from home.

So what Ian everyone doing to stay off the crazies? Book recommendations? Recipe ideas? Anything?

From trying to help or Even if it’s just a vent about what’s going, I’m here :)

greylin likes this.
  2. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Long time no see! I'm working from home mostly (though I have a court hearing virtually on an emergency matter on Monday -- everyone will be teleconferenced in...weird as I've never done this before).....other than that I'm able to try to catch up on work; working out in the home gym (reacquainted myself with my rowing machine...LOL).

Friends and I are doing a "virtual night out" getting take out and then all watching the same movie tonight from our respective homes....I'm checking in on friends and trying to be supportive as best as I can...local places in my state are allowing take away cocktails/beer/wine along with food (they're not open otherwise) so that's a plus, even though it's killing their overall businesses (I have friends in the hospitality industry and they're scared).

Everything is just so....surreal.....my difficulty in all of this is that we've never experienced anything like this before....so I don't know how to act. It's hard to wrap my head around something that isn't yet tangible to me....yet the science is very real.

So yeah, we're here...just trying to figure things out. :)

greylin likes this.
  3. aussie_gabby

I know it’s been ages. Perhaps the self quarantine age will see a resurgence on here!

I’ve just gone and ordered a whole lot of books. If I’m going to be a hermit, then I’m going to read some good books.

Trying to have skype nights with friends too.

I’m set on trying to make the perfect quarantini while I’m at home and master some sort of long cook meal (although I haven’t decided what yet).

greylin and Spygirl like this.
  4. Spygirl

The virtual movie night out turned out to be a hit...there are now 25 people in the online group and it was kinda fun...to eat/drink/chat talk movies. And I tried a really lovely sangria which the restauranteur talked up on the phone...he wasn't exaggerating about how good it was :)

You know, if you perfect the "quarantini" then you're obligated to share the recipe!

greylin likes this.
  5. aussie_gabby

Well there is always the old debate of Vodka or gin. Usually for me, it’s whatever is on special at the bottle store.

I’ve been told mine are quite strong but I’ve never seen the upside of a weak cocktail!!

I love a good sangria but I can never make it well. It’s not my strongpoint at my at home bar.

greylin likes this.
  6. Spygirl

Vodka, gin..we're not picky here though Vodka would be my first preference for no particular reason whatsoever...I should probably open my mind to more Gin :) And I fault see any upside to a weak cocktail....

I'm not about to try to make sangria either until I have a good recipe. Maybe with all that's going on, I'll find the time to find one.

Although presently...my drink is coffee.... as I watch the morning news and prepare for however to do this hearing today.

greylin likes this.
  7. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

I am such a lightweight I am getting tipsy just reading this thread. So good to see you both on a thread on AE! :*

8. aussie_gabby

You too @greylin !! What’s are you doing to stay off the crazies?

I’ve spent the weekend going between a classic book and video games. So got to be versatile!

greylin and Spygirl like this.
  9. Spygirl

Yesterday I went for a hike -- except for fishermen at a lake, there were ZERO people on the trails and it felt almost normal -- even though the day was grey and overcast and it was supposed to rain. Just being out there was nice though...kinda made you forget what was going on for a bit....

I then decided to engage in a project that I've been wanting to do -- build a rustic chalkboard for my home office -- I've had the supplies for several months now...just not the time to do it...so that is underway and I'm making progress....

Movie night #2 was also a success -- more people joined in...so....

How are you keeping sane @greylin?

greylin likes this.
  10. greylin

Sorry, was trying to digest what is going on the last couple of weeks. Now that I have I am just trying to move forward. Currently trying to exercise indoors and see how I can help my neighbors and community. Also reading “Love in the Time of Cholera.”

11. aussie_gabby

Well that is a great book. I’ve just started Dune. Which will be what I’m doing over the Easter long weekend.

Not much else to do. Here you can go out unless you have a specific reason (food or medical care). And that’s it.

greylin likes this.
  12. greylin

Dune? I am old enough that I saw the movie in the theaters when it first came out! A friend of mine read the book and told me how lacking the movie was.

13. Spygirl

Yep on the exercising indoors -- doing some CrossFit/functional fitness type stuff. I'm still working -- believe it or not -- all remotely but I've been somewhat busy.

I need to find a good book.

14. aussie_gabby

I’ve been able to work from home. Which is super lucky.

Do you all get the Easter long weekend in your area of the world? We have good Friday to Easter Monday off.

Depending on what you like to read, one of favourite books in the world is The Age of reason by Jean Paul Satre. It’s a beautiful book.

I’ll also be making Easter weekend quarintinis today.

15. Spygirl

Tell me how the quarantinis work out. Last night I got take out from a local place -- they made me a double Cosmopolitan to go and it was so good...but weird taking a cocktail in this little plastic container....I'm certainly NOT complaining. :)

Do I get a long weekend off? Technically I can do what I want as I'm my own boss...I've got some catching up to do so I'll be working most likely..but at a relaxed schedule.

Thanks on the book recommendation....I'll add it to my list. Heard of Satre...but haven't actually read any of his works.

16. aussie_gabby

They were really good. The magic is in the right vermouth I think.

I haven’t read anything else from him but it is an amazing book.

Long weekend was good but not to much to do. I’ve actually started to email friends again. I usually reserve emails for work only.

17. Spygirl

So now I'm on a Cosmopolitan kick...bought the ingredients and am in heaven....never really engaged in being an at home bartender so much but during a quarantine...why not?

As for me..went for another hike...been cooking a lot....took Easter dinner to an older friend of mine who has cancer...that was weird...social distancing at its best..when you know someone is suffering and by herself...and you have to wave after dropping her food on her doorstep....

I hope this is over soon. Even worse, I hope the orange buffoon shuts the fuck up.

18. aussie_gabby

How is the cosmo kick going?

I’m sorry to hear about your friend, and having to do it all by herself. It’s just a horrible time.

Everything is starting to look a bit better over here. Most people are trying to do the right thing.

I finished Dune, great book by the way. I would strongly recommend it. Now I’ve started On The Road.

It’s mothers day here on Sunday, and I usually always go visit mum. So she’ll have to do with a phone call this year.

19. greylin

We have had zoomed mother's day and bdays. It is good to have some ways to connect and this won't be forever.

The top level of the forums was unreachable for a while, anyone else experience that?

@Spygirl, how is your friend?

20. Spygirl

Reaching these forums has been hit or miss for me -- sometimes it goes to a blank white screen :/. This morning I couldn't get into the site altogether....I remember when these forums were actually....active with great conversation.....

My friend is doing well -- had a Zoom conference/virtual happy hour with her and a few another friends last Friday.

As for me, I've been keeping busy -- my work has not been affected, so other than not going anywhere, it's been business as usual for me...which is good, I suppose. Hiking on the weekends....drinking kickass cosmos :) They're a great summer drink....though I've been craving a Moscow mule lately.