Hey from PA :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rawr_balrog, Mar 25, 2016.

1. rawr_balrog

rawr_balrog Member

Hey everybody!

I'm a 28 year old writer from the Philly area. I'm not great at meeting new people in real life, so I thought I'd give this a shot.

Jane Doe and Anetra like this.
  2. Gyldenragg

Gyldenragg Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to AE! :) There are definitely some awesome people on here so don't hesitate to post or reach out to others!
    You got me curious though, what kind of stuff do you write?

3. Cate94

Cate94 Member

Hey I'm new on here too! Welcome:)
    Hope we can learn some cool stuff and meet some great people!

4. rawr_balrog

rawr_balrog Member

Thanks! Everyone certainly seems very welcoming.

I write mostly speculative fiction and occasionally literary or mainstream. I want to be a novelist, but lately I've been working on short stories because they're easier to workshop, so I can improve my writing more quickly. (I'm a member of a fiction workshop at my local library, which comprises like 90% of my social life lol)

Anetra likes this.
  5. rawr_balrog

rawr_balrog Member

Thanks! Welcome to you, too! Everyone seems really nice so far, which is encouraging.

6. Gyldenragg

Libraries are the best though! I spent so much time at my local library growing up and befriended all the librarians. We'd always end up in deep and lengthy discussions about this book or that book - much to the entertainment of those around I think ;p Now I always check out at least one bookstore or library in every new place I travel to. :) It's the most zen type of place I know of.

So what kind of genre(s) within speculative fiction do you like writing? Oh, and if you had to select a few of your favorite books, which ones would you pick? (Haha, I know...I hate that question myself because of the sheer impossibility of it but I still ask it).

7. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

Welcome to AE. There are some really great people on here. Some have been on here for a very long time and some just joined recently.

There is a fiction section where you could post some of your short stories, if you want.

How is the LGBT scene in Philly? (I am in New England).

8. rawr_balrog

rawr_balrog Member

Oh, I agree! Nothing beats a good indie bookstore. Or living within walking distance to your local library, which I do and now never want to move again.

My writing floats somewhere between fantasy and supernatural. My current project was supposed to be horror but ended up being a very nature and character oriented supernatural story instead... I really adore magic realism (One Hundred Years of Solitude is an all time favorite) but I don't write it because I don't think someone in my position could ever really pull it off. I also am obsessed with Tolkien (if you didn't guess by my handle) though I have yet to attempt true high fantasy.

I might post some! I'm trying to start publishing in lit mags, so we'll see how it goes.

9. rawr_balrog

rawr_balrog Member

There is a pretty big lgbt scene in the city, though I'm given to understand it skews male. (There's a whole neighborhood near center city everyone calls the gayborhood. The city recently decided to roll with it and painted all the crosswalks rainbow over the course of one night, without any warning.) It's a little harder for me as I live in the burbs, so when I go downtown it's for like, brunch and the art museum, rather than that kind of thing.)

10. Gyldenragg

You should definitely put up some of your work here! I don't think I'd be the only one interested in reading it! (And I'm certainly curious about your style now based on what you've said so far). I had a short break from fantasy not long ago as I jumped more into Japanese surrealism (for lack of better words) but I'm back to it now...reading some work by Sanderson at the moment (figured I should check out his stuff considering he got picked out to finish Robert Jordan's work) but...maybe it's just me but this trilogy is a bit too full of clichés and annoyances for me to enjoy it completely. Have you read any of his stuff?
    Oh and of course I got the reference in your username ;) Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo! How come a balrog though? Not a particularly common favorite I'd say (then again, maybe that's exactly why).

11. rawr_balrog

rawr_balrog Member

Well, particularly because I had this picture in my head of an incongruously adorable chibi balrog. But also, balrogs are kind of tragic. They used to be Maiar, just like Gandalf, who fell to temptation and evil. Gandalf might have been fighting an old friend. (Also, I have a lot of feelings about the fall of Gondolin. I used to have a WoW character named "tarnin austa" back in the day for that reason.)

I haven't read any of Sanderson's work. I keep picking it up, but it never quite sparks my interest. I am underwhelmed by Jordan as well, to be honest. I tried reading Wheel of Time in high school, and found it to be too derivative and the characters somewhat flat. I adore so much about high fantasy, but it is rarely ever done well. I think a lot of writers get so wrapped up in the world building, they neglect the characters as whole people. Right now, I have Throne of the Crescent Moon in my bag, though I'm having a little trouble getting into it. Next on the list is All the Birds in the Sky, which I'm pretty stoked for. I'm also intrigued by Every Heart a Doorway.

I'll definitely share if I manage to publish in any online mags! Or if I give up on submitting, I suppose. Right now, I'm trying to sell a story about a little girl who imagines her mother as a selkie instead of coping with her death. (Oh gosh, I'm so verbose.)

12. Gyldenragg

Haha, I see! Chibi. No need for a further explanation ;p I did not remember the Maiar part about them though. Guess it just goes to show how long ago it's been since I last immersed myself in Tolkien's universe...

I'll make sure to keep the titles you mentioned in mind next time I'm looking for a good fantasy book! As for Jordan, I never finished his series. It was one of those annoying waiting periods until the next book came out, I was devouring all the other books around me while waiting and by the time it came out ages later my memory started getting hazy with all the details (Jordan's world has so freakishly many characters to remember, whereas at least with Tolkien it somehow...paces better and you remember them easier). So faced with a 'do I start reading the whole thing from scratch now or should I just wait a bit longer until I remember less so I have a fuller rediscovery later on' I opted for the latter. And left it there. Haha, guess at some point I should pick it up again. But as for Sanderson, I'm incredibly disappointed actually. Speaking of flat characters.... I've rarely wanted to shake a character as badly as Sazed in that series. With all his constant self-doubting and search for (religious) purpose after losing all hope. Ugh. Anyway now I'm rambling.

Good luck with your story though! Fingers crossed! :)

13. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Hello there. I write short stories too, although you're probably more professional at it than I. And I live just a state south of you, in Maryland.