Help Me Finish My Film?

Discussion in 'Movies with Lesbian/Bi Themes' started by jgotmilk, Feb 10, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. This movie looks amazing!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. This movie looks fantastic!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jgotmilk

jgotmilk Member

2. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

Nice intro...hey lesbians, I'm a lesbian. Great way to win friends and influence people there.

Oh @Bluenote do you think she means $5 U.S or $5 AUS? Will the fun ever end this week??

3. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

I understand people need money and all, but sometimes it feels like panhandling. I should set up one of these things and get people to pay for my schooling or a vacation lol... Hey fellow carpet lovers, this lesbian needs a vacation, can you help fund my schooling so I can go? Smh

If you want to solicit money could you not give us the respect of giving more details? Is it filmed? Is it just some mtv cheese glee storyline? Not that I care now, if you weren't lost at the lesbian introduction, you're hopeless at geek and punk relationship description... Sounds like a nondescript teen drama. Which is sad because I love indi films and the world needs better lesbian films.

Nancy and Emm like this.
  4. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

Can I get in on that kickstarter too? I could really use an all-expenses paid vacation :)

5. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

We should kickstart a 'send an afterellen member on a vacation' campaign. We'll hold a rock paper scissor contest to see who wins.

Emm likes this.
  6. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Well that's me out I don't have any $ I have £ but you don't want those

Emm likes this.
  7. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

Idk, I'm torn about this.

Pro side: She did do a decent job explaining everything in the Kickstarter link. Even included some of her other work.

On the con side: I'm skeptical that the film is finished no funds needed, but she needs 15,000$ for sound? Shooting isn't cheap. Is the video homemade quality? Or are most of the visuals the comic book renderings?

If the movie is mostly comic book renderings, then why watch/ make the movie, versus just reading/ making a comic book?

After all, there is a great comic series out there about Lesbian punk love, that will fill any geek with joy - Love and Rockets.

On the tacky side - I'm not crazy about people who aren't members here soliciting for cash. AE is a community, not just a marketing contact list.

On the bitter side- my life hasn't exactly been easy.

The girl asking for vacation money made me really angry.

Maybe I should start a Kickstarter campaign. "Hey y'all, I was sadisticly abused as a kid and as a result have needed lots of expensive medical care- surgery, pt, pain management. And don't get me started on my therapy bills.

I don't care if you're gay or straight and all currencies excepted. Could you chip in a few bucks to cover all the money it's cost me / cover my lost wages / plus a nice vacation/ and maybe a nice spa day for me and the cats."

I've met a lot of people who have had it pretty rough, if I had cash to give, thats where it would go. Not to vacations or even films.

8. Bluenote

9. jgotmilk

jgotmilk Member

Wow! You ladies are soo smart and amazing!!! I'm going to go ahead and answer all of your questions. :)

10. jgotmilk

jgotmilk Member

lol, perhaps it wasn't super catchy of me to introduce myself that way. But, I am a lesbian and in all sincerity I love lesbians! lol I promise. Also, actually, anyone on planet earth can donate (i'm pretty sure). So, yes someone in Austrailia or anywhere else could donate.

Finally, I'd be happy to have friends and influence here (whether or not you donate.) Like, I said I have this Agape type of love for the LGBTQ community. I promise. :)

11. jgotmilk

jgotmilk Member

lol @ carpet lovers. I've never heard that term.

I do agree that crowdfunding has a "panhandle" feel to it. I wrestled with doing a Kickstarter for about a year before launching because I had to make peace with the nature of what crowdfunding is. Personally, over all I think crowdfunding is ok. In the sense that, I believe it's ok to ask people for help. At it's best, that's what it is.

There are websites where people can ask to have their schooling funded or vacation paid for. I personally am paying student loans on my own. Last time, I had a vacation, I went to Colorado to meet my sister's new baby. I paid for that myself. Though, Colorado is close to California, so it wasn't expensive. Also, I was going through a tough time so I really needed to see my family.

Film Details: It is filmed on a High Definition Panasonic Hmc 150 camera (which I borrowed from my rich friends). The whole film is shot already. Almost all post-production is completed. Yes, there are lesbians in it (lol). Yes, the description sounds generic, but it's a personal, honest, coming-of-age story of trying to figure out what a person's sexuality means to them and how they want to express it. So, the geek is a virgin, grew up religious and is trying to figure out how to have intimacy in her life. She meets the punk, who is agnostic, likes to party but is also very insightful and sweet as well. She's used to sexuality being recreational for her. In her own way, she's seeking and figuring out how to have intimacy in her life as well. So, when they meet, they are both at a vulnerable place in their own ways and have to figure out a way that they can be together. It's a sweet movie. It's thoughtful. If I were to equate it to a teen drama, I would say My So-Called Life. I wouldn't necessarily equate it to a teen drama.

This is definitely a indie film!!! I promise! We all had day jobs while we were making it. I still have a day job. We shot this film in my garage (when I had one). My friends apartments. etc. Three of us (got laid off) in the middle of shooting the film.

I actually have dedicated my life to making movies. So, I definitely would like to see high quality lesbian films made. I eventually want to go into producing and helping other lesbians tell their stories through film. :)

Just Me likes this.
  12. jgotmilk

jgotmilk Member

Hi! I think anyone from the world can donate. So, if you want, though you don't have too, you could donate a really awesome sign you just put up (I don't have that sign on my keyboard.)

13. jgotmilk

jgotmilk Member

Hi! Um, thank you for liking my explanation in the Kickstarter link.

Yes, $15,000 is a lot of money. I can break it down for you. But, first, I did shoot the film on a HD Panasonic camera that costs about $3,000. However, I borrowed that camera from a very kind friend for free. I borrowed all of the sound equipment for production from my wealthy friends so that I could shoot the movie. All the cast and crew were volunteer. So, production wasn't that expensive.

I tried really hard to find an inexpensive way to do a sound edit and something called a final sound mix. I tried to do a sound edit myself (eventhough, I didn't have the right sound editing software). A final sound mix has to be done in a professional sound studio because they have the proper equipment to hear everything in the sound edit.

So, the break down: The sound studio I'm using is charging me $6,000 to do the sound edit and the sound mix. They asked me to give a down payment so they could start on the mix. I put down the down payment (which was half of my monthly salary) I'm a caregiver for the elderly as a day job. So, I don't make tons of money. In fact, when I gave the down payment, I was really broke and my friend bought me a beer and some food because I had no money until my next paycheck. Ok, so, in order for the film to show in theaters, it has to be in a certain format called DCP which costs about $1000. Kickstarter charges a fee for using their service which is about $1,000 - $1,500 (the fee is about 7% of how much the overall goal is. You get taxed by the government on your Kickstarter reward which is about $2,000 to $3,000. Then, the rewards that come with the different tiers cost money, so $500-$1000 is set aside to pay for the rewards. Press kits (most film festivals require them) can cost about $500 to $1000. So, that leaves me with $2,000 to apply to film festivals and market the film (two things that can get expensive). So, that's the breakdown for you. :)

The movie is mainly live action. I'm such a comic book nerd that I did put a lot of comic renderings in the Kickstarter page. I didn't want to give too much away with the live action. But, there is plenty of live action scenes in the Kickstarter movie. There is live action footage in my Kickstarter video.

I love Love & Rockets!!!! I own some Love & Rockets books and think it's an amazing comic!!!

I have been reading Afterellen since 2007. I used to check this website everyday. Now, I check it weekly. I read this website before Sarah Warn sold it to MTV. Sarah Warn was this Renaissance badass who started a website because of the lack of lesbian representation in the media. It's still a cool website. My movie was made in the same spirit that this website was created. Yes, I'm definitely new to the messageboards. That's true.

I'm so sorry to hear that your life hasn't been easy. My Mom, Dad and two sisters have all experienced tragedy and trauma in their lives. I've played the role of support for all of them. Essentially, the way I grew up was dysfunctional and unhealthy. Due to that, I have a slight version of PTSD and something called Secondary Trauma. Out of respect to my family's privacy, I can't give explicit details; but growing up was no picnic for me or my sisters. I've been to counseling, support groups, read self-help books etc. I also had a year where I drank a little too much than I should but I'm doing better now and substituting tea rather than booze.

I am very aware of the pain and suffering in the world. Which is why I've dedicated my life, to trying to bring some joy to the world through indie filmmaking. :)

You don't have to give any money. But, would appreciate anyone else who would be willing to help the cause. :)

Thanks.

14. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

Bluenote and jgotmilk like this.
  15. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Alright, y'all....let let me move through this one and cut to the chase. I happen to work with a few people who do movies and by fate, I've fallen into doing entertainment law -- a film I helped out of a bit of legal trouble is now being distributed here and in the UK. I'm working with another film in pre-production right now...and I've also got some movie people known in the industry who are friends and clients. Ever hear of a little movie called The Blair Witch Project? Exists?

Just because you've been on a reality tv show and have the creative chops to do a movie doesn't mean that you're in the clear. Do you have location releases? Actor releases? Licenses for songs, etc.? Releases from anyone who's done artwork/storyboards? Compensation or are people getting paid on the back-end? I recently had someone call my office for a film where the person wanted to secure Ice-T..and it sounded like these people didn't have a clue as to how to set up a movie. I basically said...call me when you get your act together because you're going about this all backwards. GET YOUR LEGAL ISSUES SORTED FIRST. If you haven't anticipated issues ahead of time, then you're going to have a hell of a time sorting everything out when problems do arise (I had someone willing to hold up distribution of a film because a location release was never signed..and guess what..you can't just edit the principal place the movie was filmed out). If you don't do everything correctly now, you'll never get a distributor to look at you film...good or bad.

16. jgotmilk

jgotmilk Member

That's awesome that you are in entertainment law and have friends and clients in the industry. :)

I do have locations releases, actor releases and releases on my music, and from folks who did the artwork. Everyone was volunteer and signed paperwork for that as well.

Honestly, we are still deciding how we are going to handle distribution. But, I'm leaning towards self-distribution. But, I'm (of course) open to getting a distribution deal as well.

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. :)

17. jgotmilk

jgotmilk Member

Also, just wanted to make a general statement, that I promise I'm a really sweet person with good intentions. :)

I'm just trying to finish my movie. :) That's all. :) lol

Though, I understand that crowdfunding is a hot button issue with varying opinions.

You all do seem like really cool people. :)

18. Bluenote

I guess it kind of bothers me for someone who has never contributed to the forums to come looking for a bunch of money. That's just my opinion and maybe others feel differently.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear that.

Well, agree to disagree. I just can't help but think how much 15,000$ could do for a Women's Shelter, a Gay Youth Organization, etc... And those donations don't include 1,000$ to 1,500$ going to Gofundme and 2,000$ going to taxes.

19. Bluenote

Here is the lady that wants everyone to pay for her dream vacation... lol!

http://www.gofundme.com/l0w49g

20. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

Uh oh....someone just got schooled!! I like your style :)

Bluenote likes this.