Hello from Pittsburgh!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jemstone, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Jemstone

Jemstone Active Member

Hi! I just recently joined and can't wait to check out this website more. I'm from Pittsburgh, PA (although I don't plan on staying there for long) and I'm also a college student. I'm studying environmental science and I'm so close to graduating it's killing me! Haha. I don't really have any LGBT+ friends (well actually I only have one friend and she's very much straight), so I would love to at least make some friends from here! Maybe get some advice and learn a little more. Not really sure what else to say about myself, honestly, but if you want to know something just ask!

P.S. I'd also love to know if there's any other 'environmental science' type people in the community as well.

tolove&beloved likes this.
  2. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

Welcome. I'm not an environmental science type. Though I do like hiking and gardening, so I'm an interested lay person.

Any idea where you're headed after Graduation?

3. Jemstone

Jemstone Active Member

I'm not much of a gardener, but I do LOVE succulent plants! I have a jade tree that's been growing very well and I'm going to try and grow more. What types of gardening do you do?

Well I plan on getting an internship next year and hopefully get a job straight out of my internship, but my main goal is to work in Washington. I'd like to live/work on one of the islands, more specifically with animal-related work.

4. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

I have both flower and veggie gardens. I'm trying to get a little rock garden (with succulents) established. All organic gardens.

I don't do anything intense like breed my own lines or anything. I just try to keep the gardens looking nice. And I try to get good productivity and flavor out of the veggies.

I try to garden keeping in mind the overall ecosystem. Avoiding pesticides, keeping the soil healthy and planting plants that support bees, birds and butterflies.

Washington sounds good. I'm betting it'd be an interesting place to work.

5. Jemstone

Jemstone Active Member

That sounds beautiful! Good luck with your rock garden. I'm also in the works of starting one that I can keep on my windowsill.

I sure hope so. I've been there before for school and the islands are beautiful.

Bluenote likes this.
  6. Jaime T

Jaime T New Member

Hey there! I'm from Pittsburgh. I belong to a meetup group specifically for LGBT folks in Pittsburgh. We do a lot of fun stuff in the area. http://www.meetup.com/GayUnScene/. I've met cool people through the group and everyone is welcoming. Also, feel free to message me if you are looking for friends or advice!

Jemstone likes this.
  7. Jemstone

Jemstone Active Member

Thank you! I wasn't aware of this group and I will keep it in mind when I am home on breaks.

8. aussie_gabby

aussie_gabby Well-Known Member

Hi to both of you :)

What's PA like?

9. JillyBean84

JillyBean84 Well-Known Member

Hello! And welcome :)

I used to work in an environmental science lab and test water in a water treatment plant it was quite gross lol, some of the smells were just...wow :p

I'm actually a chemistry nerd tho, I'm a student atm and I work in a research and development lab now, what is your favourite area of environmental science?

10. Jemstone

Jemstone Active Member

Very woodsy. Trees upon trees! And VERY cold in the winter (especially if you're near Erie). The vast amount of trees makes it very beautiful, especially in the fall.

I went on a tour of a water treatment plant and I can agree on that! The smell was horrible! :confused: I'm very sensitive to bad smells so I'd never be able to work in one. I commend you for being able to!

I love chemistry labs (okay, well ones I can understand I love), but I am really bad at chemistry! Haha. I've had to take it so many times and yet I still can barely remember things! I'm happy to say that I was able to pass my last two chemistry courses with a B and a C, though! O-Chem is really where I'm going to be tested. :confused: But that sounds pretty cool! I met someone at my school who wants to work in a research lab and she hopes to work on cancer cell research. Do you like working in a lab?
    Hm. My favorite area...I can without a doubt say zoology/ecology is my favorite. :D
    I also like the geology side to it, so I added a environmental geology minor just last semester.

11. JillyBean84

Yeah water treatment is gross don't go I to that hehe.

I love working in a lab I get to use loads of techniques and apply a lot from my course it's really cool, I actually work with fibre now which is different but pretty cool :)

Your course sounds really interesting good luck with it :) and if you need a hand revising organic chem let me know it's my favourite subject :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Jemstone likes this.
  12. Jemstone

Jemstone Active Member

I'm taking it next semester, so I will definitely take you up on that offer! ;D

Anyway, it's always great to know you didn't just take classes for nothing and that you can actually use them your field of choice. I know I'm taking a lot of classes I will probably use little to none of the information I'm learning.

13. JillyBean84

haha no worries, yeah you usually have to do a few filler modules that mean nothing when you graduate it's annoying that's why I try and do more practical ones make it a bit interesting in the meantime :)