Hello from London,uk

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Irishgal2016, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Irishgal2016

Irishgal2016 Member

Hi all

I'm a 43 year old Irish woman living in london and I am in the process of coming out and am hoping to make some friends here as right now I don't have any gay female friends I can confide in.

Looking forward to meeting any members also in the Uk?

2. Gyldenragg

Gyldenragg Well-Known Member

Welcome to AE! :)

It's a great place to help you along the journey of discovering yourself and your sexuality - and to meet some very lovely people! Feel free to post new threads if you have any questions you're burning with, otherwise there are tons of existing ones with interesting discussions already!

Where in Ireland are you from btw? :)

3. Irishgal2016

Irishgal2016 Member

Thanks for the lovely welcome and useful suggestions!
    I'm from Co Meath originally - went to Uni in Dublin (UCD) and moved to london to work and have never left!

4. Gyldenragg

Damn I should have started my previous message with 'dia dhuit' but it took this long for me to dig it out from the very back of my mind ;p

I'm still waiting for the London craze to hit me to be honest, but now that several of my friends ended up with jobs there I have a feeling it's just a question of time ;p Maybe I'll do a shoutout to all you 'Londoners' next time I go there for tips so that the city can finally woo me!

5. Irishgal2016

Irishgal2016 Member

Defo look me up when you're over in london ! I'm new to the gay scene but doing my homework so hope I can recommend some nice places to you when you're over! Where are you from in Ireland?

6. Gyldenragg

Deal! :) So, do you feel comfortable sharing about your experience so far in slowly realizing you're into women?
    Oh, and I'm not actually from Ireland! I've been there a few times though: Dublin with my friends and I used to date a girl from Belfast a few years ago (yes I know it's technically NI haha) so got to know the city well enough. And Donegal! It's a lovely country! But yeah, I'm from Norway :)

7. Irishgal2016

Irishgal2016 Member

So my story is interesting:

I felt a strong sexual attraction to some women who came into my life over the last 5 years but I "suppressed it" and would not acknowledge it.

I was raised an Irish Catholic in a convent in rural Ireland and anything lesbian or gay was deeply judged and frowned upon. In fact - the nuns at school thought I was a lesbian and called my parents to school to tell them and I strongly denied it and laughed it off!

So what happened is I got married 5 years ago to a wonderful man and found something "missing" sexually and never had an orgasm with him during intercourse. In fact I've never had one with a man - any man. So that combined with fertility problems trying to have a child made me look into my sexuality and find what it was that didn't feel quite right - and lo and behold I got a very strong dream that woke me up one night when my hubby was away for 2 weeks - saying I am a lesbian.

I then suppressed it again (6 months ago). And I got severely depressed and started to comfort eat and finally realised this week that I have to honour my sexuality

My husband is amazingly understanding tho he and I have not decided what happens next (do we separate or do we have an open marriage) but I am going to start meeting other gay women and getting out there.

So it's a bit long winded but the main thing for me is there have been tonnes of "signals" to myself over the years which I now realised I was stupid ignoring but it was my conditioning and upbringing - now I live in london thankfully so hope it's gay friendly enough to help me embrace who I really am.

8. Gyldenragg

Wow! It definitely is an interesting story! Not only am I amazed (and happy) to hear about your husband being so understanding and supportive about it all, but you also seem to be very aware of and in tune with yourself now. Which is perhaps the biggest hurdle, so well done!

I'm sure that now that you've taken these first, decisive steps you will come closer to discover new and eye-opening parts of yourself! Take one thing at a time, don't stress about it and have fun :)