Greetings from the Great Plains

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Plasma D., Apr 27, 2018.

1. Plasma D.

Plasma D. New Member

I'd heard some bad things about AfterEllen, but I've also heard they've recently started trying to do right by lesbians. When I saw the articles "Despite Cyber Bullying and Erasure, More Young Lesbians Are Claiming the L Word" and "Why I'm A Lesbian (Not Queer)", it gave me some hope there might be like minded women on here. Hopefully this isn't a mistake.

I'm a lesbian in the Great Plains region of the US, originally from the East Coast. The "progressive" "queer" community (and liberals in general) have made me hate myself for being a lesbian so much I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror, let alone think about pursuing a relationship with another woman, or even looking at one in a way that isn't strictly platonic. I guess I'm here to see if there are any lesbians who feel like I do. It's lonely up here in the plains.

2. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

1) Very few people post here anymore. AE was sold (twice) to companies owned/ run by straight men. Each time, the content and forums were downgraded. People either left in protest, or because so few others were posting.

2) I am a lesbian and a long time poster. (From a conservative area, now living on the East Coast.

3) Your post reads like concern trolling. I don’t see how “queers” or “liberals” could make you hate your lesbian self. Particularly, I don’t see how they could make you hate yourself more than - say republicans, evangelicals, or mysoginists.
    I find it strange that you don’t -put any- focus on the damage those groups have done to lesbians/ “yourself.”

4) It sounds like you are trying to stir up anti-queer shit by presenting a simplistic ‘us versus them’ view of the world.

But civil rights and social acceptance are not little crumbs that need to be fought over. Promoting queer rights does not diminish the ‘slice of pie’ doled out to lesbians.

Ending bullying protects all kids who are bullied- lesbian, trans, queer, nerds, black, theater kids, etc... Providing workplace protections gives everyone more security- be they a slightly tomboy lesbian, or trans, or a straight blue haired artsy type.

Repression is based on the idea that people who are different don’t deserve equal rights. True equality says that all people should have basic rights and dignity, without drawing lines about what is a “freak too far. “

5) You may have been cyber bullied by queers. You may feel out numbered (statistically, there are more ‘bi’ or ‘fluid’ identified women than lesbians. But that doesn’t justify what you are doing, which is stirring shit - and doing a bit of your own cyber bashing - against other LGBTQ people, on an LGBTQ site.

6) If you really hate yourself so much that you are incapable of dating, you need more help than an online forum can provide. I would suggest that you seek professional therapy.

“Liberals are meaner Nazis than the actual Nazis!” Is a common (and clumsy) trolling tactic. If you actually believe this (which I doubt) a therapist would help you realize how much of your internalized homophobia / mysoginy actually comes from conservative culture. I find it improbable that your self image was destroyed by “progressives,” but not at all impacted by hetero-normative culture.

They also could help you with things like ‘if cyber bullying is making you hate yourself, log off and make friends irl.’ Which is not to say that cyber bullying is ok. But rather to say that if any hobby becomes excessive and destructive, people have to learn how to limit it.

And if you don’t actually hate yourself, but were just saying that to start shit, then a therapist could help you see why hate is hate, no matter how you try and package it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    greylin likes this.
  3. Plasma D.

Plasma D. New Member

1) Yeah, I noticed that but I thought I'd see if anyone was still active. That's a shame.

2) Yeah. Sure you are.

3) Not a single republican or evangelical has ever told me personally that my homosexuality was wrong and bigoted. Meanwhile, self-proclaimed liberals and "queers" tell it to me all the time.

4) "Promoting queer rights does not diminish the ‘slice of pie’ doled out to lesbians." You're right. It doesn't diminish it. it destroys it.

5) I'm not "stirring shit" or "cyber bashing" lmao I bet you're the kind of person who punishes children who are bullied instead of the children who bully. You're the one getting up in arms and accusing me of things because I pointed out liberals are just as homophobic as conservatives. Maybe because it hits too close to home?

6) I didn't come to an online forum for help. I came to see if there's still hope for lesbian women. And clearly, there isn't any.

You're a condescending asshole and a sellout. That's all I got from your response.

4. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

Yup, troll and troll post. Way to ott. Go have fun singing kumbaya with your evangelical friends then.
    Preferences >user>ignore

greylin likes this.
  5. lorienczhiu

lorienczhiu Well-Known Member

Ahahahahahahaha. Bluenote, I'm so so sorry for all your rights that I've taken away. I'm surprised my lesbian wife hasn't left me over destroying her pie. I will definitely make sure to let her know that there is no hope for lesbian women, because she's been happily living her lesbian life without knowing it's over!

Sorry. *wipes tears of laughter from eyes* Not to feed the trolls, but: this is hilarious.

greylin likes this.