Gf upset I’m not out to parents

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by chan007, Jan 6, 2020.

1. chan007

chan007 New Member

I’m a senior in college and started dating a girl for the first time almost 3 months ago. She’s bi and out to her parents, and she has told her parents about us. I’m out to my friends and sister, but not my parents. My dad is pretty conservative so I’m worried how he’ll react. I’m also financially dependent on him right now, though I won’t be in a few months after I graduate. I’d rather wait until I start my job after graduating to come out to him in case shit hits the fan. If he stops supporting me I’ll lose my horse, dog, apartment, and have to take out student loans. I love my girlfriend but it just seems like a massive risk to take when I’ll be able to pay for myself in a few months. But my girlfriend is upset I haven’t told my parents about us - she says it means I don’t take the relationship seriously. Any advice for what I should do?

2. StoneSoft

StoneSoft Member

She sounds like she wants to control you. If she really cared about you she would let you tell your parents when you are ready.
    3 months really isn’t a very long time.

greylin likes this.
  3. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

agreed with @StoneSoft, your coming out or anything you want to do in life should never be dictated by a gf of 3 months. I understand for some people, they find a non-out person a deal breaker, and that is fine. It is different than dating a person, then forcing a person to come out when they are not ready. Seems like you already have some plans to come out, but they should be your plans, not hers.

4. poppyseed26

poppyseed26 New Member

If she’s not supportive then she isn’t the one for you. Simple as that. Come out in your own time, lovely! Nobody has the right to tell or force you to tell others. 3 months isn’t a very long relationship.

5. Matt

Matt Member

Controlling behavior like this is just the start... 3 months is nothing... you dont know her yet... stand your ground