Getting Married in MD

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Ohiogirl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Ohiogirl

Ohiogirl Member

Hello - My partner and I are from Ohio and we are planning to get married in Maryland by the end of the year. The closest county to us is Garrett County so we figured we would just to the courthouse there and get married. But I was doing some research and Garrett County seems to be very rural and we arent sure how welcoming they would be to same-sex couples. Again, we do not really know anything about MD other that what we have read on the internet and the fact it is the closest state to us that allows SS marriage. Does anyone have any advice on whether or not Garrett County would be a good place to get married (no big ceremony, just getting our license and then two days later having the clerk perform the ceremony) or if another county would be better. We can go anywhere in MD.
    Thanks so much for any advice!

2. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

Garret County is wicked rural -- If you're going to bother to visit Maryland, then get married in a jurisdiction that is a lot more liberal, i.e. Baltimore City or one of the suburban DC counties. Spend a day or two here..enjoy some restaurants, etc.

3. RNadine21

RNadine21 Member

Yeaaa I'd stick to Baltimore County or Montgomery/Prince George's Counties (near DC), in which case you could also consider getting married in actual DC. Besides, if you're going to stick around for a couple of days anyway, might as well go somewhere you can have fun exploring.