Geocaching

Discussion in 'Hobbies, Health & Fitness, Sports' started by [email protected], Jul 10, 2013.

1. sbgirl0914@gmail.com

[email protected] Active Member

Me and my mom started geocaching over a year ago. We have found 111 so far and have run up on some interesting places because of it. It was hard at first because we were not sure what we were looking for but gradually started to get where we could spot them. We have found them in all different shapes and sizes, and we are still amazed at how creative people can get when hiding these. I finally got the app for my phone, which makes it a whole lot easier, and now we can get directions, hints, and descriptions of the caches. It locates the area you are in and lets you know which caches are near you. About three weeks ago we found one inside a tree trunk in the woods. I finally noticed that a piece on the tree looked like it had been cut so I tried pulling it out and finally found it. Definitely one of the most creative ones we have found so far.

On a two day trip me and my mom took in June, we definitely had some fun finds. We stopped by a little red school house and did a virtual cache, which we had never done before. Instead of looking for one, we had to find the answers to three questions that the person had posted and email him/or her the answers. Then we went to a cemetery down the road and ran up on poison ivy and spider webs. About 2 hours later we stopped by another cemetery and had to take a hike down into some woods, where it was all grown up. We found it, but I was ready to get out of that place. I found 2 ticks on me while driving, which freaked me out, and my mom had one in her ear. We drove through Oxford, Mississippi and one led us to William Faulkner's house, where it was located under the steps. The people there asked if we found it and then let us tour the house. We also found one at the cemetery that Faulkner is buried at and signed the book that is left on his grave. We found a couple more in another town we stopped through and saw some really beautiful scenery. That night at the hotel I found another tick in my hair and so did my mom. I could barely sleep after that, and it was like a freaking ice box in the room. At home, my mom sleeps with the air condition on, a ceiling fan, and a floor fan pointed towards her. The next morning I told my mom we would never go hiking in the woods again looking for a geocache.

2. Ambertrafficlights

Ambertrafficlights Well-Known Member

Wow, I had never heard of this before (surprising, seeing how much time I spend on the web and also tramping) but it looks AWESOME, and people even do it in NZ! I plan on going out and finding one ASAP!

3. Emma

Emma Well-Known Member

Just started doing this, is so much fun! Me and a friend are going on a little adventure tomorrow in the big city.

@CacheHunter sounds like a fun adventure even with the ticks and all, at least memorable.

4. sbgirl0914@gmail.com

@ Ambertrafficlights

Hey good luck with your searching. It's definitely a fun thing to do, and a great way to find new places. Let me know when you find one!

@ heisawoman

Yeah that trip will definitely be one I won't ever forget. My mom is game for anything and going geocaching with her is never dull. Heck going anywhere with her is never dull.

5. Ambertrafficlights

@Cachehunter

I have found 6 already!! Two were within walking distance from my flat. The others were along a bush walk I did. My favorite so far was a puzzle one and it was inside an old telephone on a tree in the middle of the bush and you had to have the right tool to get inside the telephone, it was so fun!

6. sbgirl0914@gmail.com

@ Ambertrafficlights

Awesome! It's very addicting once you get started finding them. We have found almost all of them in our area so now we are having to go to different towns to find them. We are even looking for them in Louisiana, which is the state next to us. Did a clue lead you to the tool? That one sounds really cool. I haven't seen one like that one before. How long did it take you to solve the puzzle?

7. Ambertrafficlights

Hi

There was a clue, but I wasn't sure what it meant so I took my pocket knife/multitool (which luckily had the right tool!). There are a number of puzzle ones here, some require bluetooth, wireless, there was one which had a radio broadcast in morse code which I had to decipher (after doing a puzzle to find the coordinates and realizing it was morse code) - that was awesome. People here are quite creative when making caches =D I have found 60 now! I am going to run out of ones in my town soon too, I have already got some in other towns when I was driving through.

Amber