Feeling Guilt- Need some friendly advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out' started by daydreamer33, May 3, 2014.

1. daydreamer33

daydreamer33 Active Member

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this. I appreciate it. I have been feeling ready to come out as bisexual for a while now. I have been out to myself for nearly five years and I've been dating women on and off for two years. My problem is that I am still very nervous about coming out to my family and friends. The thing I'm most worried about is explaining why I didn't come out to them sooner. To be honest I think the majority of my family and friends are going to be supportive. I'm struggling to understand why I haven't felt ready to come out sooner so, I don't know how I can possibly explain it to them. I am concerned that they will feel betrayed somehow or like they can't trust me anymore because I kept something so huge from them. I am really close with my family and friends in most other ways. I want them to understand that it isn't their fault that I didn't come out sooner. I wish I could fully explain my hesitation.

I think for me I wanted to wait to come out until I felt comfortable being out to the world and not just my family. I am sure that many of you can relate that it is about a lot more than simply stating who you want to date or have sex with. I recently became a certified high school teacher and I want to be able to be open with my students (without getting overly personal obviously). I just want to be able to be myself in the classroom because I know that quite a few of my students are also struggling with their sexuality or other matters of identity. I am 24 and my 25th birthday is coming up soon. I'd really like to come out before then so I don't have to go through another birthday of living a lie. Any advice or support would be so appreciated. Thanks.

2. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

You don't need to worry about age being a concern since you're still pretty young. Just be yourself when you tell them. :)

3. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

Hello:D First off, congratulations on feeling ready to come out fully. It is a wonderful space to be in.

Secondly, I very much appreciate what you are saying about your family and you are probably right...a part of them will feel like that.

What you need to do, I guess, is find a way to explain to them why it wasn't about them...or why it was a journey you had to keep from them until you were in a secure place...and that was about you and how you feel, not about them or any implied criticism of them.

Have a think about it, I reckon and unravel why you kept it from them and then find a way to verbalize that feeling in a way that they will understand. You are a teacher, so you should be used to finding a way to make yourself understood. So yea, that's my advice. Preempt and address the issue and you should be able to find a way to deal with it to minimize any hurt felt.

4. lost sheep

lost sheep Active Member

You could explain that you needed time to accept that you're gay and that was why you didn't say something instantly. I know for myself, there are days when I'm more comfortable in my skin than others. I'm still trying to see exactly "crown" fits me, as I never had the courage to be with a woman.