Favourite lesbian novel / author?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by sundancer, Feb 28, 2015.

1. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

Just curious - what's your favourite lesbian novel or author?

Are there any books that you would recommend and why?

2. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

A few years ago, someone gave me a horribly written lesbian book and resolved to stay away from the genre...until @Tripon introduced me to Melissa Brayden and Ingrid Diaz. I'm not usually a reader of romance but I really liked the books she recommended, Melissa Brayden's "How Sweet It Is" and Ingrid Diaz's "The Blind Side of Love" second draft. They're an easy read, sort of what you'd read on the old DSLM threads. They have characters people could identify with, the plots are simple but interesting, and they don't have tragic endings.

Megha likes this.
  3. sundancer

I recently read "How Sweet It Is" - it was good at the start but then it started getting really cheesy at the end. I haven't heard of "The Blind Side of Love".

I haven't read many lesbian novels. So far I enjoy Gerri Hills' books.. not that I've read many of hers either. The best one I've read so far is probably Fingersmith by Sarah Waters which is a surprise considering I'm not into books from the Victorian era. There was also a novel I read which read like an action novel that I would normally read - the main character just happened to be a lesbian. I wouldn't consider it a romance novel, but just like an additional fact about that character.

That said, in my new foray into lesbian novels, there are some that are pretty atrocious...

Megha likes this.
  4. Harpy

Harpy Well-Known Member

I just finished a lesbian romance novel yesterday (read in one sitting) and loved it. I am extremely picky when it comes to romance novels because, let's face it, most are terrible. I've started and quit reading more than I can count. This one, Fractured, was really a good read for me. And it's free if you have a Kindle Unlimited subscription. This is the first I have read from this author but I've started on a second, hopefully it is just as good.

5. PoppyM

PoppyM New Member

I recently found a trilogy, When Women Were Warriors by Catherine M. Wilson. It's set in the bronze age with a matriarchal society.

6. AuditThis

AuditThis New Member

This will be my third time reading "An Infatuation" by Jennifer Lyndon. I've also read Melissa Brayden's books and like them too, especially "Kiss the Girl".

7. i4got2cry

i4got2cry Well-Known Member

What was the action one called?

8. thevikingway

thevikingway New Member

I really like a couple of Eliza Lentzki's novels. Winter Jacket (there's three now), and Second Chances. They're not heavy literature, and I read through them fairly quickly, but they're entertaining.

I also adore The Miseducation of Cameron Post, which is technically YA but one of the best books I read last year.

96 Hours by Georgia Beers has an interesting storyline as well.

Those are the ones I've read and re-read. I'm a re-reader.

9. mavislove_17

mavislove_17 Member

I don't know why I JUST NOW came across this post! I Have read a LOT of lesbian novels...here are just a few of my favorites- (Also the first three books have both main characters POV in it. The first two are done by chapter, the third one is done in Parts)

Jericho by Ann McMan- It is a long book but the build up for the romance is GREAT! It feels very authentic in how the two main characters interact. Plus you can't help but to fall in LOVE with the supporting characters too! You will find yourself laughing when you read what some of the other characters do.

The Gravity Between Us by Kristen Zimmer - It is a very cute story that is typical but still very well written!

Shell Game by Benny Lawrence - This one is more action and adventure with a little romance. It is a indie book...not sure if that is a thing but if it is then this book is it! Both of the main characters a very strong women! Yes there might be some errors in the book but to be honest, you get so wrapped up in the story that you don't really notice it to much, or at least I did. I wont lie, I love this book so much that I wish I could have a actual BOOK copy of it, hard or paper back- I don't care! But they didn't print very many...if they print it. Plus, I LOVE how they explain WHAT EXACTLY "shell game" really means! It is a very empowering book! Also there are Pirates!

A Kiss Doesn't Lie by Robin Alexander - This was a good book. It has action and adventure and romance. Think the lesbian India Jones!

I'm going to stop there but if you want to know a few more just let me know! :)

10. sundancer

Normally I would rate Melissa Brayden as being average, and a lot of it is a hit and miss. But I read what I would probably rate as the best lesbian romance novel for me thus far. It's called Heart Block and it is surprisingly actually really cute and pretty sweet.

Sorry I can't remember! :(

Feel free to add more to the list!

I thought Jericho was nice but then it became really repetitive and went on and on. I think it could have been cut into 2 books to make it more engaging. I've heard good things about The Gravity Between Us. A lesbian Indiana Jones sounds fabulous too!

11. sundancer

I ended up reading this the other day. It was interesting. :)

I also read Against Doctor's Orders by Radclyffe which was pretty good. I was surprised because I've read one of her books before and I didn't like it at all... I found it a bit too butch for my liking.

12. Eloise

Eloise Well-Known Member

My favorite lesbian authors are Kim Baldwin, who writes adventure novels; Elizabeth Sims, who writes the Lillian Byrd series (mysteries); and, Jr Redmann, who writes the Macky Knight mystery series. All great reads.

13. Zarco Nimmo

Zarco Nimmo Active Member

I've read The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith. She had it published in 1952 under the pseudonym Claire Morgan. I read it because I heard it was different from other novels in its genre in that the two women didn't come to a tragic end or go back to men. The two heroines find each other, fall for each other, come across several obstacles to their relationship and finally - well, I've already told you how the story doesn't end.

Right now I'm reading Bobby Blanchard, Lesbian Gym Teacher by Monica Nolan. It's supposed to be a spoof of 1950s lesbian pulp novels, and it's certainly funny enough for that, not to mention sexy. The heroine in the title arrives at an all-girls school to coach the field hockey team. In her free time, she goes for a picnic with her girlfriend, gets to know the other teachers (some of whom are a little more forward than perhaps is appropriate among peers) and meets her old schoolchums in town at a certain ladies' watering hole. Throughout the book there's a mystery surrounding the apparently accidental death of a member of the faculty, but it seems largely irrelevant to the rest of the action. A pleasant read all told!

14. Progressive82

Progressive82 Active Member

I believe a movie based on The Price of Salt has just, well, come out (Hah.)

No one has yet mentioned author Nancy Garden or Annie on My Mind (1982). Also famous for being an early one with a happy ending. I believe there used to be a thread about it under Books on the old forums, and those threads kind of got lost.

I posted about it a while back and haven't gotten much response (which is also true when I post on other sites.)
    http://forums.afterellen.com/threads/classic-annie-on-my-mind-by-nancy-garden.357/

I didn't want to violate any rules about multiple postings by posting again - but I'm still interested in hearing from other fans. And, conversely, I'm open to discussion about things you don't like about it.

The heroines are 17 - I don't know if that's part of the problem - maybe the book's reading audience is more limited in terms of age group? And I suspect, today, adults would be more worried about the seriousness of the relationship between two 17-year-olds and how it might distract them from other life goals than about the LGBT angle. But that's not really raised in the book itself.

I think in some ways it stands out more as a YA book than as an LGBT book - because the girls don't really worry much about any teen issues EXCEPT being gay. They are very goal-oriented and seem self-actualized and confident overall. One of them is an architecture - which I'm sure would have been kind of male-dominated back then - but that's not an issue.

Haven't read The Price of Salt or seen that movie - but it does sound as though it might be a more "mature" Annie on My Mind.

15. Rain

Rain Member

From the novels mentioned, The Price of Salt is a really good novel, I agree! And I also kind of enjoyed The Miseducation of Cameron Post though I found it a bit boring. Others I've really liked:

General Fiction

Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta
    . I'm sure some of few have read something about this book. It's about Ijeoma, a young girl (in the beginning) who has just lost her father during the civil war and is sent by her mother to a safe place. There she meets another girl that quietly understands her and makes her feel less lonely. What follows is of course very difficult for our young protagonist, with her very religious mother forcing bible studies on her. But Ijeoma is strong and really wants to find her happiness. And even though it's based on Nigeria, where being gay is illegal, it's very positive. It's a beautifully written book with an emotionally moving story about love and relationships in general.

Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley, is a YA (Young Adult) book set in 1959 Virginia under segregation about Sarah, a 17-year-old girl and one of the first black students to integrate an all-white school. The story is told both from her perspective and from Linda's, a privileged white girl with racists beliefs influenced by her father. It was really hard for me to read what Sarah and her friends had to endure, from name-calling to the physical abuse from the white students, parents and even teachers. But I also found it to be positive, with Sarah, her sister, their activists parents and other good people fighting for what they deserve and trying to educate people. I really don't know how to describe it and English isn't helping me right now, haha. But it was really powerful and thought-provoking.

Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farizan. This one, also YA, is more lighthearted about a girl already aware of her feelings, but she's Persian, so her background and her traditional parents are the reason she feels the need to hide them It gets complicated when she can't help her growing feelings for the new girl at her school, Saskia, who sends her very mixed signals and constantly confuses her. It might not seem like it, but it's not really dramatic and tragic. It's very easy to read and the story is very simple. I think it would haven been more interesting having being based in Iran, instead of the USA.

Update: South of Sunshine by Dana Elmendorf. This one will be published on April 1st, 2016 but I read an ARC a few days ago. And I really, really liked it. It's about a 17-year-old girl dealing with the fact that she's gay. Since she's from a very conservative town, she has to hide that part of herself and so she dates guys (unsuccessfully, I might add. They never last), until a new girl joins her school and she finds herself irremediably attracted to her. The story is not original (there are a few coming out books with a very similar one), and because of that, I tend to avoid this kind of books. So I'm really glad I gave this one a try. I think the writing was great, the characters felt real, with real issues and personalities, and were also likable, the story itself felt real (and it touches both on homophobia and a bit on racism, as well), and I just couldn't put the book down! So it's definitely one to keep in mind and high on my list of recommendations. (And I also think everyone will love Bren (the new girl) as much as I did. :))

Fantasy/Science Fiction

The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson. This book is one of my favorites. The writing is really great, the story is very interesting full of secrets and betrayals (this is a snippet of the synopsis posted on GoodReads that I find very accurate: An epic geopolitical fantasy about one woman's mission to tear down an empire by learning how to rule it.) and the characters are complex, not perfect. What I love about the main character, Baru, is that instead of being the typical good and kindhearted heroine, she's more of an anti-heroine, willing to do what it takes, which is why she comes off as cold and distant. She's also not the usual warrior that intends to use physical strength to win. The power she has is her wits and her vast understanding of economics! It might not sound so interesting, haha, but for me it really was. And it just so happens that she's a lesbian (and even if it doesn't really focus on this, homophobia is relevant to the story and one of the main reasons for Baru's rebellion).

The Caphenon by Fletcher Delancey. This book is fantastic! I just finished reading it and it just... Wow. It has great world-building, a compelling story and very fascinating and complex characters (and badass women :)). Fans of science fiction are going to love it (although I suppose non-fans might like it, too). You can read my review here (although you might prefer to search for another one, haha). The fact that it has F/F romance is a nice bonus. Although the romance is not such a big part of the story. There are two more books in this series and I can't wait for the opportunity to get my hands on them!

And Barbara Ann Wright's series Katya & Starbride, beginning with The Pyramid Waltz. There are four books in total and I really enjoyed all of them. The protagonists, a rebellious and flirty princess and a fun and bright courtier (thought she's in court to learn and help her people in legal matters, not interested in the whole courtier thing!), meet and fall in love. But wait! One of my favorite aspects is that it's more than just a "love story". There's an actual plot in which their sexuality and relationship are just a part of them, in a world with magic, evil beings known as Fiends, royal secrets, betrayals and fun and interesting characters. I really love this series. <3

Urban Fantasy

I have really enjoyed the two books from the Vampires of Hollywood series by Devon Marshall: Dante's Awakening and Dante's Choice. They are far from perfect, but have very entertaining characters, a nice plot and very sexy vampires. :> The only bad thing is that the series is unfinished and the author is currently focused on other projects. So by the end of the second book, there are some unanswered questions and it just feels incomplete.

Awakened by Shei Darksbane
    . It has a very fun protagonist who's just discovering something about herself, while having to deal with the recent discovery of vampires! In this world they (and other supernatural creatures) exist but are hidden from most people, those 'Unawakened'. From a recent event, she 'Awakenes' and a whole new and secret world opens up to her. It did bother me that most of the characters speak without contractions. I know the author wanted to show they're centuries old, but it just felt unnatural. :< However, it was entertaining and the characters were likable. There's another book in this series but I haven't read it.

So anyway. Sorry for the long post, haha. I hope these recommendations are useful for others.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  16. Emma1

Emma1 New Member

17. Emma1

Emma1 New Member

I just finished reading Lisa Chartwell Waiting for the right time. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it with the teacher/student angle but thought I would give it a go. Awesome book! I couldn't put it down. I don't want to give anything away but I think the story was tackled sensitively and I am a sucker for a happy ending :)

18. TheScandinavian

TheScandinavian Well-Known Member

I haven't read many same-sex books but out of the few I've read, I liked Kiki Archer's books (I've read only "instigations" and "but she is my student") :)

19. Vonvon87

Vonvon87 Member

Favourite is the night watch by Sarah waters, have re-read a couple of times, currently about a third of the way through tipping the velvet.

20. Keep It Real

Keep It Real Member

I like Kate Sweeney, Georgia Beers, and R.E. Bradshaw.