Facebook Etiquette Help

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by caroline2, Feb 26, 2014.

1. caroline2

caroline2 New Member

What would you do (or do you do) after seeing assholes on Facebook plead, "Who cares?!" when a public figure comes out? As well as when or if you see people saying shitty things like, "We should be talking about more important things going on in the world instead of talking about the city council boycotting the New York St. Patrick's Day Parade"?

Aren't public figures what society looks to as an example? Wouldn't it make sense that the more public figures come out and are shown acceptance and have flourishing careers, the more closeted LGBT individuals will be positively affected? You know, the LGBT individuals in 2/3 of our country who don't live in the liberal bubble that so many of us very fortunate citizens in the remaining 1/3 get to experience? And wouldn't coming out as LGBT not being news anymore mean that the civil rights movement had ended?

Say it's a work acquaintance who is a cool guy but sometimes is a self-obsessed douche. Do you do nothing? Do you say something? In person? On Facebook, and publicly for his friends to see? As a personal message? How far is too far without fucking up the acquaintance/work-friendship? If you say something, what do you say and how do you say it without sounding like an obnoxious, pedantic prick? I stand up for my rights and my community's rights all the time; this one just feels like a sticky situation.

Man. Also, there are horrific things occurring all over the world. No shit. Does this mean our civil rights movement should shut down because the mention of gays on the news or in sports is an inconvenience to uninformed dick wads? MAN! This guy was cool before. WTF! :|

2. Brittany

Brittany Active Member

I tend to post a gracious response directly to the post. I normally try to start out with "I know it wasn't your intention to offend anyone but...". That way the response doesn't come off as too defensive. Some people honestly just don't see the importance because they don't relate. Sometimes they post "who cares" because they honestly don't see an issue with homosexuality. They just feel people should be able to live their life. Straight actors don't have to come out publicly as straight. Why should gay people? That may be the mentality. I didn't see the post so I could be wrong.

All of that being said, I have also posted full out essays in response to self righteous idiots on my facebook page. I even shared a post on here before the site was remodeled. Anyway, I hope this helps a little bit.