Europe trip 2013

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Ambertrafficlights, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Ambertrafficlights

Ambertrafficlights Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I am spending three months traveling around Europe from November (Yes, I realise it is winter, thanks =D). I am spending about a month in the Netherlands as I have family there and speak some dutch and also plan to go to Belgium, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, possibly France and Spain and Cyprus (some family here too). Does anyone know places I should go / things I should see while I am there. I have some ideas already but thought others might suggest things I will miss.

Thanks!
    Amber

Yassmina likes this.
  2. a_marieee

a_marieee Member

That's so awesome! I studied abroad in the Aix-en-Provence in the south of France my sophomore year, so I would definitely recommend a trip there. It's a small town, but it's gorgeous and there's still a quite a bit to do. Paul Cezanne's art studio is there and it's pretty amazing because everything is still as it was left. Also in terms of food, you'll obviously have lots of options, but I would recommend Pizza Capri and the 24 hour bakery, it's right around the corner from the flat where I lived. And of course Paris. All you have to do is walk around and you'll inevitably find something. I'll have to think about that one though, I don't really remember since we just wandered mostly lol I was there fore 2 weeks for Christmas and New Years.

I'm sure you'll have an amazing time no matter what you end up doing!

:)

Yassmina likes this.
  3. Ambertrafficlights

Thanks, I will definitely consider visiting there!! Sounds great!

4. CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict Member

Hey Amber,

I've just spent a semester studying in Zurich and 2 months travelling. My favourite places were, in no particular order, Berlin, Heidelberg, Florence, Cinque Terre, Brugge, Rotterdam, Lucerne and of course, Zurich!

Have a ball!

Yassmina likes this.
  5. Ambertrafficlights

Hi

Wow it took me a while to see this reply. Cool I shall look into those places, thanks!!

Amber

Yassmina likes this.
  6. Chrystele

Chrystele Well-Known Member

Aix-en-Provence and the south of France, there are beautiful places there and it will be quiet and tourist-free in this season !

There are many interesting cities and villages there : Grace (when we grow flowers for perfume), Vallauris (pottery). A boat-trip on the Canal du Midi might be great !

I love Strasbourg in the East of France (Alsace), a very nice city near Germany with canals and where is a part of the European Parliament. And Alsace is famous for its food and wine (white wine mostly). Colmar in Alsace is also a very nice place.

In England, I enjoyed London of course but also Oxford (very beautiful) and Brighton.

I would love to go and visit Norway and see the fjords.

The world is such a beautiful place, there not enough of a lifetime....

7. Wooden Shoes

Wooden Shoes Active Member

Hi Amber,

Well, I am from the Netherlands and know my way around Europe so I'm happy to give you some tips. But tell me before I start, do you like cities, nature, activities, events, other? Or a combination of things?

8. Wooden Shoes

Wooden Shoes Active Member

Oh, I almost forgot. Budget is an important criteria as well. For example, a liter of gasoline costs currently 1,75 euro per liter, which is 9 dollars per gallon. So traveling by car (plus toll roads in France, Spain, Portugal etc), train, bus or plane is more expensive than in the U.S. Same for food (that has to be transported), hotels (gas and electricity prices get 'green' tax) and such. I'd be happy to meet up with you in a cafe to discuss your plans. No worries, I am a nice person (sometimes) and my intentions are perfectly honorable but if you're insecure you can always take a family member along.