Dubai

Discussion in 'International' started by RagsOBrien, Jul 6, 2015.

1. RagsOBrien

RagsOBrien Member

Hi everyone,

I am moving to Dubai. I anticipate that finding gay or bi women will be extremely difficult and the lgbylt visibility non existant. I am wondering are there any of you living in Oman and what it's like there for lgbt expats? Is there any way of arranging meet up etc? If so, I am definitely interested.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. wonderlust

wonderlust Well-Known Member

Hey there, I'm not in Oman but also based in the Gulf, Saudi Arabia to be exact which is a lot more conservative than Oman. Nonetheless, it's good you've set you expectations correctly-- It is a lot harder to tap into the community. Hard but not impossible. The good thing is, if you do come across other lesbians it would be easier to mingle (Islamic countries consider mixing with the opposite sex taboo, although Oman might be more tolerant than where I'm at) and if you find someone of interest, dating wouldn't be as much of a problem for as long as you don't engage in PDA.

RagsOBrien likes this.
  3. RagsOBrien

RagsOBrien Member

Hey Wanderlust,

Thanks for the reply. How are you finding Saudi Arabia to live in? Have you met any queen women there? I have heard that Oman is somewhat less strict than SA in some regards but it is still Muslim and it is illegal to be gay so it is still going to be very tricky.

I guess I may stumble upon queer people accidentally. I am not optimistic but it would be nice to have some lgbt friends...maybe even date a woman if I was very fortunate. I am thinking of joining one or 2 of the expat sports clubs. I am guessing there are bound to be some lady loving ladies on the sports teams. Have you dated at all since you moved to SA?

4. wonderlust

wonderlust Well-Known Member

Hey there,

I've lived in Saudi Arabia, been here since I was 3. Saudi Arabia really isn't as bad as how others would think... Yes it's conservative and homosexuality is illegal but a good segment of the population has opened up their minds and won't give you trouble. People do stare at me in public, which can be annoying at times.

I have found friends across the gender spectrum, admittedly not a lot but I'm okay with that--- I tend to mesh with folks based on interests so that helps. Dating, yes, I was even in a four year relationship with someone and now I'm dating a local.

What will you be doing in Oman? If you don't mind me asking, depending on the type of work and environment you'll be in, the chances of meeting someone could be affected.

Anyhow, hit me up when you're in the gulf, I travel around the GCC because of my work, Oman included.

RagsOBrien likes this.
  5. RagsOBrien

RagsOBrien Member

I expect to be working with and mixing with a lot of expats from Europe, the US and Austrailia. I think there will be some staff from the Middle East and Gulf as well. It will be a mixture but I guess it will take me a little while to scope out the situation.

Thanks for that- I will get in touch when I'm there. I am flying out in September so not too far away. It would be good to know some other LGBT ladies there :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  6. Shalin

Shalin New Member

Hi Rags

I am in Muscat and will also be teaching at an international school.
    I'm also keen to know if there I an LBGT community in Oman.