Could it be ovarian cancer? Girls, I need support.

Discussion in 'Hobbies, Health & Fitness, Sports' started by Jessebelle, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Jessebelle

Jessebelle New Member

HI,
    I am having some symptoms of IBS, but my doctor has asked for more tests. The doctor wants to rule out if I have ovarian cancer. And I am so worried.
    I was usually very careful about my health. I ate only healthy food. I was an active sportsperson in my high school and I was very beauty conscious.
    Now, what's worrying me more is that I have been regularly applying talcum powder on my genitals since adolescence as I had high perspiration may be due to my sports activities. I continued it as part of hygiene. I am now 26. I saw this about the use of talcum and cancer. http://thelawfirm.com/talcum-powder-lawsuit/ And that got me worried really. The article says that using talcum powder can lead to cancer , and in my case there is a high chance for ovarian cancer. And, since the doctor suspects that, I am so worried.
    I don't know what to do. I haven't had anything after reading that piece. I had faced a lot of obstacles, but this was so unprecedented. I need your support on this matter. May I be having cancer? What do you think?
    BTW, The test is scheduled for Friday.

2. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

The studies linking talcum powder to ovarian cancer are undecided. Basically, there isn't clear evidence one way or another. And studies that point to an increased risk only show a small increase in risk. Yes, lawyers are making a lot of money off of it, but what a lawyer can sell to a jury - sympathetic plaintiff, big mean uncaring corporation - is very different from scientific fact.

So take a deep breath and don't panic.

You aren't at high risk for cancer- young, healthy, and you didn't mention any family history of cancer. So your risk sounds really low.

Your Doctor is being thorough and ruling things out. If you have a 1 in a million chance of having cancer, but he (she?) misses it, it would really suck for all involved. Plus, there is no test for IBS, so it is diagnosed in part by ruling other stuff out.

What should you do? 1) go through the test s your Doctor recommends AND 2) try not to worry or jump to the worst case AND 3) if you are now too scared of talcum powder quit using it AND 4) learn a bit more about how medical science works.

Here is a bit of science for you.
    http://m.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/talcum-powder-and-cancer

Notice how the lawsuit link you posted totally Manipulated the narrative. It pushed an agenda: talc + cancer = freak out!! It talked about asbestos in talc, without mentioning that asbestos has been banned in consumer talcum since the freaking 70s. And it quotes the same link I posted- totally out of context. Cherry picking the quote about 'might cause cancer,' but neglecting the important quotes of 'studies inconclusive' and 'if there is an increased risk, it is very small.' So it played up the fear and the worry 'asbestos!!!' 'Increased risk of cancer!!' while suppressing the rational 'studies mixed,' 'any increase would be small.'

Keep relative risk versus absolute risk in mind. If the absolute risk of getting ovarian cancer is 1% and powder raises that risk 33%, (a 33% relative change in risk) then ones absolute risk of getting ovarian cancer is still only 1.33%.

Jessebelle likes this.
  3. mariannek2u

mariannek2u Well-Known Member

I get why you are worried but try not to freak out to much. You still have days to go until you get tested and then (i assume) wil take a couple of days (?) for the results. Ofcourse you cant not think about it but try keep it under control. Even though the chance is so incredibly small that you have cancer you need your energy incase it might be....
    Your doctor is being smart. Keep calm and if you need to talk...we are here. Good luck!

Jessebelle and Bluenote like this.
  4. Jessebelle

Jessebelle New Member

okay, so I needn't worry, I get it. Thanks for the support. Thanks for the link Bluenote